Are you way cool?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
ca77
Giant

Are you way cool?

Post by ca77 »

We've had EXTENSIVE talk about flippers, scammers, and "true collectors" here, I wonder if we can open discussion on people who Brag?

I know I'm guilty.
Our influence will be gigantic.
stinkypete
Giant

Re: Are you way cool?

Post by stinkypete »

where's your avatar gone?
you can hardly brag without your avatar?
i never brag cos I always buy for far too much and sell for too little and underestimate postage!!!
thank goodness I work for the government where such traits are highly valued ( except for the postage)
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
influence
Giant

Post by influence »

It's safe to say that ca77 hasn't had an avatar in ages. What's that have to do with bragging anyways? :?
stinkypete
Giant

Re:

Post by stinkypete »

influence wrote:It's safe to say that ca77 hasn't had an avatar in ages. What's that have to do with bragging anyways? :?

I thought an avatar was a sort of acceptable visual brag!! :)
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-I don't own my avatar... I just like the image and want to be submits girlfriend! :lol: ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
outeredgestudio
Giant

Post by outeredgestudio »

OK I brag on this forum. guilty. I just can't be dragging people I meet on the street home to show off my obsessions and addictions, they would all think I'm a freak (they do). I have obey pillows even. stickers on my car, phone, studio.. everywhere. wall to wall obey. this forum is my grip on reallity. if I could not post all my stuff on here and brag alittle here and there knowing that someone else is into this too, I would believe what my wife's band and all her friends say. (don't you think your a little too in to this stuff andrew?) uh, Hell Yeah, I love it! I am sooo broke for all my art. but stupid HAPPY.
David Choe prints http://outeredgestudio.com
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

ca77 wrote:I wonder if we can open discussion on people who Brag?

Robo, they're waiting for you to say something. :wink:
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Marilyn
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Marilyn »

cybernigel wrote:

word.
Be Honest. I know more than you can imagine.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

cybernigel wrote:

"This post was made by Marilyn who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post." hahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm with Andrew on this subject. I get excited about art and am happy to have people to share it with. That's all.

It's regrettable that it's seen as boasting or bragging or trying to make other people feel bad about their collections. My art didn't somehow land in my house by itself. I worked hard for the money to buy it. I paid top dollar in all eBay auctions I won. I paid $600 for multiple prints at DW back in 2002 when no one else would think of spending that kind of money for a Shepard Fairey print. I called a million galleries to find stuff. I found people to trade with before there was thegiant.org. Remember, I am concentrating my Shepard Fairey collection on 1995-1999. I didn't start collecting until 2000. Nothing in my collection from those years came directly from OG. I did my Mega Share (tm) to expose new collectors to the great older prints. Any new Fairey acquisitions will show up in my same Mega Share (tm) thread. Those who feel offended should steer clear. Kind words to all that enjoyed the share and said so. To those who didn't enjoy it, well, you know the name of the share thread and will never have to look at it again.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

robotoil wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

"This post was made by Marilyn who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post." hahahahahahahahahaha.

He only said one word.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

robotoil wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

I'm with Andrew on this subject. I get excited about art and am happy to have people to share it with. That's all.

It's regrettable that it's seen as boasting or bragging or trying to make other people feel bad about their collections. My art didn't somehow land in my house by itself. I worked hard for the money to buy it. I paid top dollar in all eBay auctions I won. I paid $600 for multiple prints at DW back in 2002 when no one else would think of spending that kind of money for a Shepard Fairey print. I called a million galleries to find stuff. I found people to trade with before there was thegiant.org. Remember, I am concentrating my Shepard Fairey collection on 1995-1999. I didn't start collecting until 2000. Nothing in my collection from those years came directly from OG. I did my Mega Share (tm) to expose new collectors to the great older prints. Any new Fairey acquisitions will show up in my same Mega Share (tm) thread. Those who feel offended should steer clear. Kind words to all that enjoyed the share and said so. To those who didn't enjoy it, well, you know the name of the share thread and will never have to look at it again.

I appreciate seeing other people's collections and don't even mind when they boast. Great art is something to be proud of and certainly worth sharing. I was just trying to be funny because your collection gets so much attention.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

These are the first words on the home page of this forum: "This site is the end all source for information on the Obey Giant campaign, by world renowned artist Shepard Fairey".

Not to defend anyone who shares their Shepard Fairey collections, but without guys with these collections, this forum might not exist. Some of us are just please with our accomplishments whether it be a collection of 3 or 300. I consider these collections a source of information, which a lot of it can't even be found even on the OG web site. It's one thing seeing it catalogued, but knowing that someone actually collected it makes me realize that I could do something as remarkable, and maybe not even with Shepard Fairey prints, but with some other achievement.

I wouldn't mind actually being the one that picks up where Eric left off 2000 to 2005.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Agreed John. I find it much more interesting to see what other people have here on the forum than to look at the latest prints posted over and over again. I would rather look at Eric's collection any day over someones framed set of 2007 prints. But that is just me. Is he bragging by putting them up? Not in my opinion. I see a lot more bragging in the "I got this print for $1, and that is way cheaper than you got it" posts that sometimes show up here.

I will also share some other revelations I have come to over the years, besides the fact that a few of the people on this board have larger and more impressive collection than most:
1. There is always someone smarter than you.
2. There is always someone with more money than you.
3. There is always someone better than you at anything you think you are really good at.

Hopefully this will help people deal with the revelation that except to their group of immediate friends they are not the biggest Shepard Fairey collector in the world.

Sorry for being a richard, this is my attempt at humor after not sleeping well last night. :mrgreen:
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

djsp wrote:
Hopefully this will help people deal with the revelation that except to their group of immediate friends they are not the biggest Shepard Fairey collector in the world.

A lot of people may have his art but I think Amanda is the only Shepard Fairey collector in the world. :)
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

cybernigel wrote:
djsp wrote:

A lot of people may have his art but I think Amanda is the only Shepard Fairey collector in the world. :)

Ha. Touche.