Issues with OG's 24x36 print packaging

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
influence
Giant

Issues with OG's 24x36 print packaging

Post by influence »

After getting a couple oversized offsets and the recent Vote, I've noticed that OG still uses the same kraft paper size they roll in the usual 18x24 prints. It's not too bad, but since these 24x36 prints are larger it is more likely to get creased edges after moving up and down the tube during transit because the kraft paper isn't covering the sides of the prints as much as it did to the 18x24 prints. Although they do use 2 sheets of kraft paper rather than one, the kraft papers aren't attached to each other so it's likely that they'll push in towards each other when rolled together. Shall we propose a better technique for these oversized prints? I think an easy solution would be to prevent the rolled print from moving up and down the tube by just stuffing it with kraft paper or tissue like some of us do here...
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

YES, I fear for my Obama...
Xpoc
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Xpoc »

I would agree. Tragically, my vote print fell victim to exactly what you describe. The damage wasn't too bad, so I'm going to keep it, but I just don't want the same thing happening to my Obama print.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
-Albert Einstein
DunDun
Giant

Re:

Post by DunDun »

Xpoc wrote:I would agree. Tragically, my vote print fell victim to exactly what you describe. The damage wasn't too bad, so I'm going to keep it, but I just don't want the same thing happening to my Obama print.

Yup. Same here. I didn't bother contacting OG, but if my Obama is the same way, then you can best believe i'm gonna let them know.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
marEK"
Punk

Post by marEK" »

My Vote! got creased by the number :( .. is there anyway to flatten it out? I hope my Obama gets to me safe and sound...and soon!
Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what your country HAS done TO you.
influence
Giant

Post by influence »

Got my Obama... No damage to the tube, just not enough packing:

I asked Jaspr if they were looking into packaging differently to prevent problems like this and she said no :(
mrxscarface28
Giant

Post by mrxscarface28 »

Yea .... I have a couple of dents to the outer edge too ... nothing that bad though.
"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth."

- John F. Kennedy
influence
Giant

Post by influence »

Yeah, and there are no replacements this round. Either keep it or return it and get a refund. My print is currently in the ER receiving immediate attention by some tissue and a couple good old 100lb textbooks... I'll give it a couple days.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Good man, good plan.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by lb1469 »

mrxscarface28 wrote:Yea .... I have a couple of dents to the outer edge too ... nothing that bad though.

I would also try ironing the print. I have had some great success ironing rag paper and alike with an iron set to a low setting and kraft paper or butcher paper on both sides of the print. I do it very slowly on a flat large surface (clean floor) and keep the iron moving at all times. ALWAYS TEST A SMALL AREA FIRST TO SEE HOW
THE PAPER REACTS.

May sound drastic, but like I said, I've done this a few times and it has worked very well on non-print areas such as the edges. This was recommended to me by some one at BLK/MRKT Gallery when I received a slightly damaged Kinsey.
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT