Flipping old prints vs. flipping new prints (flipping)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
alfonsosoriano
Punk

Flipping old prints vs. flipping new prints (flipping)

Post by alfonsosoriano »

i get it. obey prints are hot and they're cheap (for now). lots of people buy 'em and sell 'em immediately on the bay to make a quick buck and i personally have no problem with that. i don't do it but to each their own.

but when you start buying old Obey prints to turn around and sell for profit that's when i get annoyed.

this was bought off of ebay a month ago for $350:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/28848

now the seller (with a long history of selling obey prints - look at feedback) is flipping it and with a reserve, no less, of almost double his original purchase price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... dp3907.m29

i realize i'm being a whiny little b :twisted: but this is my dream print and it just pisses me off. there's no time limit to owning prints and then selling and i get people who have had stuff in their collections for awhile and sell to get something else or pay bills but one month flipping is BS!

sorry for venting.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

To his defense, the guy got an insane deal when he made that purchase for a Buy It Now price of $350, everyone on this board would have snapped it up at that price. Supply and demand, capitalism, buy low sell high, it's the American way.
alfonsosoriano
Punk

Re:

Post by alfonsosoriano »

Cookie Head wrote:To his defense, the guy got an insane deal when he made that purchase for a Buy It Now price of $350, everyone on this board would have snapped it up at that price. Supply and demand, capitalism, buy low sell high, it's the American way.

you would buy a print that was undervalued for that kind of money just to flip at another time? i'm not trying to be a jerk just wondering if that's what you're saying. personally, i don't buy prints/posters/art unless it's something i want for my collection.
rhombus_77
Giant

Re: Flipping old prints vs. flipping new prints (flipping)

Post by rhombus_77 »

alfonsosoriano> it is okay to whine every now and then. I feel the same way about the yahoo that keeps buying Monkey Pods and selling them at $4,500-2,500 BIN/Best Offer.
alfonsosoriano
Punk

Post by alfonsosoriano »

rhombus_77 wrote:alfonsosoriano> it is okay to whine every now and then. I feel the same way about the yahoo that keeps buying Monkey Pods and selling them at $4,500-2,500 BIN/Best Offer.

DUDE! me too! it's just crazy. i never thought i'd get emotional about stuff like this but doesn't it just make you angry to see some of the prices people put stuff up for? i know, i know, if i don't like the price i don't have to buy it but just like doing a search for obey and having all of those mini posters come up i have to see slime balls selling their stuff for thousands of dollars. drives me crazy!
Cookie Head
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Cookie Head »

alfonsosoriano wrote:
Cookie Head wrote:To his defense, the guy got an insane deal when he made that purchase for a Buy It Now price of $350, everyone on this board would have snapped it up at that price. Supply and demand, capitalism, buy low sell high, it's the American way.

you would buy a print that was undervalued for that kind of money just to flip at another time? i'm not trying to be a jerk just wondering if that's what you're saying. personally, i don't buy prints/posters/art unless it's something i want for my collection.

It's not about what I would do but what is. Like Rhombus said there's a guy who paid $999 for a Monkey Pod after he sold one for over 3k. It happens and just like all these "collectors" who are cashing in on the Obama print today if they recognize a sweet deal that can make them some cash it's gonna happen. Would it have made any difference if the seller of the Marcos had originally got it off Obeygiant.com? It was the same price there as he payed for it on eBay. I just don't see a real difference between primary source or secondary market flipping.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I feel your pain: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9564

That's just the way it is sometimes, you just have to stay on top of ebay for this stuff.

And a little bitterness never killed nobody! :P
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

IMHO what someone does with anything they purchase is their business. This game is quite ugly sometimes. I will admit that every once in a while I will jump in the mud myself. In my current no job situation, selling my Obama print is the logical thing to do. Not my fault there is a person out there with a couple of grand willing to toss away on a print. If I weren't jobless I would most likely just trade it out for other Obey prints I want.

However, with Marcos collage, I would have purchased it w/o thinking and waited eagerly to put it on the wall. One of my favs for sure.
IG - ATXjeweler
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

I suggest you get a thicker skin when it comes to this stuff. We all get frustrated, but it passes until you can feel no more. Ha.
Deals are deals. Members get prints however they can, and sell them for whatever they can. It is the name of the game. Beauty of free markets.
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Post by C.Morrison »

alfonsosoriano wrote:this was bought off of ebay a month ago for $350:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/28848

now the seller (with a long history of selling obey prints - look at feedback) is flipping it and with a reserve, no less, of almost double his original purchase price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... dp3907.m29

More than likely you're not going to find this print for that cheap ever again. for a very limited fine art print that is a few years old you should just buy it for the price the seller is asking for and be happy to have it in your collection. obviously they don't sell that often, so you might as well take this opportunity to own the print. if you don't buy it someone else will, then they will turn around and try to sell it to you for $1000.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Re:

Post by whyhoo »

alfonsosoriano wrote:

when opportunity knocks, i answer.
on point like a decimalist?
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

in a situation such as this, i think its the sellers fault for setting such a low price...wasn't $350 the original price?

that would be like me offering up the obama offset for $40 and not expect to see it on the bay tomorrow
DunDun
Giant

Re:

Post by DunDun »

skoola wrote:in a situation such as this, i think its the sellers fault for setting such a low price...wasn't $350 the original price?

that would be like me offering up the obama offset for $40 and not expect to see it on the bay tomorrow

Exactly! The seller should really know what he's selling if he does a BIN. There are people who troll ebay looking for deals like these. It's like the time that the former member BaxterPop found a visual pollution print for $200 or something ridiculous and immediately sold it for $800. Capitalism mang!
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.