Why doesn't Shep use eBay?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
shawndoc
Posse

Why doesn't Shep use eBay?

Post by shawndoc »

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this, but why doesn't Shep use eBay for new print releases?

Today I tried to buy some Huck Gee custom APs. He runs an eBay store and announced that they'd go on sale at 12pm PST, 50 total. At exactly 12pm PST the items went online, and within 15 seconds all were sold.

There was no slow down. No constant reloads. And from what I've heard, the exact number that went on sale are what eBay processed as transactions, with no one having to get refunded later. I knew within seconds if I got one or not (I didn't. By the time I click buy it now and confirmed purchase they were all gone.).

Shep is already using eBay's PayPal, so why not just go all out? The listing fees aren't that much more, and I think most of us would be fine if he raised prices $2-3 to cover the extra expense.

Sure his current store looks more professional, being integrated into his website. But having prints go up on-time and being smoothly with no slow downs or oversells is even more professional. Heck keep the current store for open editions, stickers and the like, and use eBay for high demand items (I'm looking at you Obama).

Anyone know why they don't do this?
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

that was ultra fast... I cant imagine how many prints you could miss with a system that fast..
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
whyhoo
itsame

Re:

Post by whyhoo »

MrMurk wrote:that was ultra fast... I cant imagine how many prints you could miss with a system that fast..

i would not miss ANY!!!
on point like a decimalist?
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

The obey way, as frustrating as it is gives people more of a chance i think! It's survival of the toughest, i hope it stays that way personally!
DunDun
Giant

Re:

Post by DunDun »

slidingaround wrote:The obey way, as frustrating as it is gives people more of a chance i think! It's survival of the toughest, i hope it stays that way personally!

I agree. I was able to score one of the Huck Gee grey AP's but the whole thing moved so fast that I couldn't imagine an OG release on there. They sold out in less than 8seconds too. Not even a full bull ride. 250+ prints would seriously be gone in less than 10 seconds if not faster. I like the way things work now. If you have to wait 42 hrs. for an Obama offset then it makes the score that much sweeter.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Re:

Post by whyhoo »

DunDun wrote:
slidingaround wrote:The obey way, as frustrating as it is gives people more of a chance i think! It's survival of the toughest, i hope it stays that way personally!

I agree. I was able to score one of the Huck Gee grey AP's but the whole thing moved so fast that I couldn't imagine an OG release on there. They sold out in less than 8seconds too. Not even a full bull ride. 250+ prints would seriously be gone in less than 10 seconds if not faster. I like the way things work now. If you have to wait 42 hrs. for an Obama offset then it makes the score that much sweeter.

yeah but there wouldn't be any dickin around with a cut rate site... you'd know right away if you got it or not!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

whyhoo wrote:
DunDun wrote:

yeah but there wouldn't be any dickin around with a cut rate site... you'd know right away if you got it or not!

Something tells me you believe you'd have a technological edge if they moved to an eBay commerce site, anyway. :lol:

Passsssssssss.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

I know if I got the print right away too. If my paypal receipt doesn't have the *** then I know i'm good. ;)
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

The fees would suck, but sounds like it could work. but then obey would also know everyone's ebay name. Im ok with that as it is obvious, but I thik some might not like that.

I guess that is what two accounts are for.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Why doesn't Shep use eBay?

Post by C.Morrison »

I think this sounds like a great idea.

I don't even try for prints off the OG site anymore. In fact, i don't usually look at the preview pages because it is only going to tinkle me off that i don't have 71 million hours to sit around and wait for the print on a half rate site. All this talk about separating the men from the boys is a bunch of BS. there should be a flawless check out process every single time.

*end rant*
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

if shep resorts to ebay.... they would win. you wouldn't want them to win now would you?
shawndoc
Posse

Re:

Post by shawndoc »

rhinomilk wrote:if shep resorts to ebay.... they would win. you wouldn't want them to win now would you?

If by "they" you mean Obey fans that would like be able to purchase a print without spending 20 min hitting refresh, just to start over again when the server gets rebooted, then durn right I want "they" to win.

And to those of you saying you like the constant F5 thing, just remember the same number of people would walk away with a print, I doubt you're success rate would be any less than it is now.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

shawndoc wrote:
rhinomilk wrote:And to those of you saying you like the constant F5 thing, just remember the same number of people would walk away with a print, I doubt you're success rate would be any less than it is now.

I disagree. Prints would sell out in less than 10 seconds. You hit one wrong button and you're SOL. Complete cr@p shoot on eBay. And this is coming from someone who has been lucky enough to score both the Huck & a Ringo bear from Rotofugi(5 second sell out). To boot I've missed out on a few prints lately from OG, but I still like the system in place now better than the eBay heart attack.
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

DunDun wrote:I disagree. Prints would sell out in less than 10 seconds. You hit one wrong button and you're SOL. Complete cr@p shoot on eBay. And this is coming from someone who has been lucky enough to score both the Huck & a Ringo bear from Rotofugi(5 second sell out). To boot I've missed out on a few prints lately from OG, but I still like the system in place now better than the eBay heart attack.

I still don't see how the current system is better. The same number of people will try and buy the print, and the same number of people go home with one. The only difference is the amount of time it takes.

The same people that can waste 1+ hours refreshing the Obeygiant.com website, will have their computers sync'd to eBay time and ready to purchase the microsecond the items goes for sale.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

shawndoc wrote:
DunDun wrote:I disagree. Prints would sell out in less than 10 seconds. You hit one wrong button and you're SOL. Complete cr@p shoot on eBay. And this is coming from someone who has been lucky enough to score both the Huck & a Ringo bear from Rotofugi(5 second sell out). To boot I've missed out on a few prints lately from OG, but I still like the system in place now better than the eBay heart attack.

I still don't see how the current system is better. The same number of people will try and buy the print, and the same number of people go home with one. The only difference is the amount of time it takes.

The same people that can waste 1+ hours refreshing the Obeygiant.com website, will have their computers sync'd to eBay time and ready to purchase the microsecond the items goes for sale.

10 second purchase process > any time more than 10 seconds