Another damaged Obama Progress crushed crushed crushed

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Bamboozle
Posse

Another damaged Obama Progress crushed crushed crushed

Post by Bamboozle »

I guess I will Iron and try to frame it....
no replacement... I really wish there was an option
on Obey to choose between regular tube and a yazoo mills
at checkout. That way there's more flexibility. and less rants like this one lol :cry:

this is me slowly unrolling it last night. note the ripped tube.
Last edited by Bamboozle on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Wow. That took a beating. Fix it up. Frame it. In 10 years you will look back on it with nostalgia.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

sucks. why couldn't it have been big proof, instead?!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Bamboozle
Posse

Post by Bamboozle »

exactly... well, i'm gonna try and iron it out first, and will post results when i get time.
btw i emailed obey, how long do they usually take to respond?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

That's horrible. Good luck with ironing it!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

If you request to get a refund from Obey, you have to send it back to them, right?
I'd keep it for sure, either way. I don't think I'd have the guts to try to iron a print, that'd freak me out.

(edit: this was an accidental double post at first)
Last edited by Patillac13 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
stinkypete
Giant

Re: Another damaged Obama Progress crushed crushed crushed

Post by stinkypete »

who do you guys employ as mail men in the US?
they are either the worlds clumbsiest humans or they have issues
hope the ironing goes well and trust you get your refund
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

stinkypete wrote:who do you guys employ as mail men in the US?
they are either the worlds clumbsiest humans

They are people from a distant place who we took pity on. Kind of like the Willie Wonka's "Oompa Loompas". Now we're stuck with them. What are you going to do?
tlh1005
Propaganda Engineer

Post by tlh1005 »

stinkypete wrote:who do you guys employ as mail men in the US?
they are either the worlds clumbsiest humans or they have issues
hope the ironing goes well and trust you get your refund

Our mail is delivered by a government run service called USPS (US Postal Service). These prints are delivered via a publicly traded corporation, UPS (United Parcel Service)... they're global so I am sure they have a presence in your country. UPS typically handles larger packages while the USPS typically handles parcel that can fit inside a mailbox. My guess is that these tubes end up tossed around the shipping locations, trucks, and squished amongst the bulk packaging that most usually ship with UPS.

I hate to criticize but this should only be a problem once. If this has happened during prior releases of shipping then Obey really should have solved this. It IS easy to be the armchair quarterback but this is a logistical problem that has multiple solutions.
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=7136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tpeazy
Propaganda Engineer

Post by tpeazy »

I think bored UPS guys get a little too Jedi with the cardboard tube packages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Osf27E ... re=related
Bamboozle
Posse

Post by Bamboozle »

Here's the result of the flattening: about one day sandwiched between 2 of 2ply archival mat under
heavy books and then this morning some ironing

warm iron between acid free vellum and mat (print faced down on archival mat)
This is all I can do for now. Quite happy with result but not that happy yet.
minor damage still visible on his eyebrow and below lips and top left paper corner
and the paper still has funny warps from the crumbles

flash reveals warps
eyebrow
below lips
michaelm
Swindler

Post by michaelm »

garbage-like deal.
progress was my first obey purchase. i was going to email and complain about the the small rolling line above progress that you can only see if you squint and shine a light on it.
after seeing this i won't bother and will count myself lucky.

nice work with the ironing by the way
Xpoc
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Xpoc »

Really sorry to hear about the damage. So far, I've only gotten a little crinkling on the edge of my vote print *knocks on wood*. Nice work on the ironing. You could always touch up the ink damage with a sharpie. ;)

Xpoc will not be held responsible to any damage done to a print because of his suggestions.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
-Albert Einstein
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

Wow, very nice save. Nothing to complain about there and if nothing else it gives it a little more 'street' feel.

I got one of the 3000 prints damaged in a tube, tried ironing to no avail. The thicker paper is probably a little more forgiving.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
Bamboozle
Posse

Post by Bamboozle »

Oh dude, DON'T IRON the prints!
I'm currently taking art conservation class with Mimi Leveque
who's a conservator at the Peabody Essex Museum. She used to work at
RISD, and Museum of Fine Arts.
she basically restores art thats worth a couple of millions at least at a time

heat isn't a way to treat crumbled or warped paper (learned that shortly after I ironed mine...great)
if you look at paper down to it's basic structures, which is just cellulose fibers thats been compressed flat.
originally, the fibers are made from plant, and like sponge when exposed to water they will want to
go back to whichever form they were previously in. The fibers will untangle slightly in presence of H2O
therefore, when you want to repair these damaged or bent fibers, you'd want them to relax first.

This is when the use of CONTROLLED HUMIDITY comes in.
paper restorers usually places damaged paper inside 2 closed containers, with the outside one containing
water, separated by the inside one containing the damaged paper. it allows humidity to be absorbed by
the fibers without direct contact with water itself (disaster) Imagine now in the closed containers
the humidity seeps from the outside container making the atmospheric humidity reach 100% around
the paper. After about 2-3 hours paper fibers have relaxed enough (longer exposure to humidity you risk mold)
line two acid-free water absorbing felt in the flat press on both sides of the print. press between two 4 ply
acid free mats under heavy books or whatever, but must be acid and pollutant-free flat material that touches
the absorbing felt. Print should be flat after 1-2 days.

Ironing the prints will change properties of cellulose fibers, they may become brittle faster or color fades
faster down the line. we dont know when, but heat is dangerous to paper as well as to ink.

Anyway, I do not recommend doing this yourself as I'd suggest taking your damaged prints to a local paper
restorer because they have the facility, and trust me, there's a million and one things that may go wrong
when doing stuff like this. when that happens we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.
I'm taking my damaged prints to a restorer around here. Pass this info on to people if you like, it might
help before someone else decided to iron their prints.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

Bamboozle wrote:Oh dude, DON'T IRON the prints!
I'm currently taking art conservation class with Mimi Leveque
who's a conservator at the Peabody Essex Museum. She used to work at
RISD, and Museum of Fine Arts.
she basically restores art thats worth a couple of millions at least at a time

heat isn't a way to treat crumbled or warped paper (learned that shortly after I ironed mine...great)
if you look at paper down to it's basic structures, which is just cellulose fibers thats been compressed flat.
originally, the fibers are made from plant, and like sponge when exposed to water they will want to
go back to whichever form they were previously in. The fibers will untangle slightly in presence of H2O
therefore, when you want to repair these damaged or bent fibers, you'd want them to relax first.

This is when the use of CONTROLLED HUMIDITY comes in.
paper restorers usually places damaged paper inside 2 closed containers, with the outside one containing
water, separated by the inside one containing the damaged paper. it allows humidity to be absorbed by
the fibers without direct contact with water itself (disaster) Imagine now in the closed containers
the humidity seeps from the outside container making the atmospheric humidity reach 100% around
the paper. After about 2-3 hours paper fibers have relaxed enough (longer exposure to humidity you risk mold)
line two acid-free water absorbing felt in the flat press on both sides of the print. press between two 4 ply
acid free mats under heavy books or whatever, but must be acid and pollutant-free flat material that touches
the absorbing felt. Print should be flat after 1-2 days.

Ironing the prints will change properties of cellulose fibers, they may become brittle faster or color fades
faster down the line. we dont know when, but heat is dangerous to paper as well as to ink.

Anyway, I do not recommend doing this yourself as I'd suggest taking your damaged prints to a local paper
restorer because they have the facility, and trust me, there's a million and one things that may go wrong
when doing stuff like this. when that happens we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.
I'm taking my damaged prints to a restorer around here. Pass this info on to people if you like, it might
help before someone else decided to iron their prints.

Excellent information. Thanks.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

Ever iron a shirt with the temp too hot? Sometimes you can see the dye change color. I'd imagine you risk doing the same thing with the inks on these papers. That or get some sort of burned in crosshatch pattern. Yeah, I'm stylin'.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

If you go to a restorer, please post the pricing info here...I'm really curious how much it costs. Thanks.