Ebay/Flipper Confessions

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
dirtyd0369
Giant

Ebay/Flipper Confessions

Post by dirtyd0369 »

With all the flame that gets spread around here, in terms of Ebay and fliping prints. I thought I would open up a thread where we can confess of our wrong doings...

I have two things to confess.

1. I tried selling war is over a while back... It was up on Ebay when the Juxtapoz with the war is over image on the cover came out. It made me realize how much I really loved the image (because it cropped some of the junk at the bottom) So when the auction ended I told the buyer that I left it out before shipping it and the my cat scratched it up real bad and refunded his/her monies.

2. I picked up Hope for flipping purposes.. I love the Vote print and plan on keeping it but I just don't see hanging a picture of Obama in my house.

Please forgive me.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re: Ebay/Flipper Confessions

Post by Backpackpunk »

Please forgive me as I have sinned.

When the MK show was coming around I was lucky to get a Led Zeppelin print off OG, I sold it for lots of money so I could buy a nice fine art piece form the gallery, God got the last laugh as the gallery didn't answer my phone calls or emails :/

Also I might be selling my Obama Hope as there might be something nicer in my future.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

Make sure you guys post your paypal e-mail address so OG know exactly who you are. It's the only way to be truly forgiven! :D
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

No need to move my hope anymore, I just trade my Banksy instead. :)
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
rastapunk
Giant

Post by rastapunk »

dirtyd0369 wrote:1. I tried selling war is over a while back... It was up on Ebay when the Juxtapoz with the war is over image on the cover came out. It made me realize how much I really loved the image (because it cropped some of the junk at the bottom) So when the auction ended I told the buyer that I left it out before shipping it and the my cat scratched it up real bad and refunded his/her monies.

Selling a print is one thing, but ^^that^^ shows a complete lack of integrity.
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

rastapunk wrote:
dirtyd0369 wrote:1. I tried selling war is over a while back... It was up on Ebay when the Juxtapoz with the war is over image on the cover came out. It made me realize how much I really loved the image (because it cropped some of the junk at the bottom) So when the auction ended I told the buyer that I left it out before shipping it and the my cat scratched it up real bad and refunded his/her monies.

Selling a print is one thing, but ^^that^^ shows a complete lack of integrity.

somewhat questionable, but i'm not sure it indicates a complete lack of integrity.
on point like a decimalist?
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

dirtyd0369 wrote:With all the flame that gets spread around here, in terms of Ebay and fliping prints. I thought I would open up a thread where we can confess of our wrong doings...

I have two things to confess.

1. I tried selling war is over a while back... It was up on Ebay when the Juxtapoz with the war is over image on the cover came out. It made me realize how much I really loved the image (because it cropped some of the junk at the bottom) So when the auction ended I told the buyer that I left it out before shipping it and the my cat scratched it up real bad and refunded his/her monies.

2. I picked up Hope for flipping purposes.. I love the Vote print and plan on keeping it but I just don't see hanging a picture of Obama in my house.

Please forgive me.

I you truly seek redemption you must first purchase and frame big proof as a penance,
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

nobody needs to confess, ask forgiveness or even ask permission.... if you have something that you own and you want to sell it on ebay then it's a free country.

it's nobody else's business what you do and don't do with your prints. this whole "flipper" crepe is getting really old. why people are getting their panties in a bunch over other people reselling is beyond me, especially considering there's a "SELLING AND TRADING" section on this site. apparently you are considered a "good" person if you sell a print here at marked up prices but when you put it up on auction for anyone to bid one then you are considered a "bad" person. the hypocrisy of some of the users here blows my mind.

maybe if the admins/mods ban the words "flip" and "flipper" people will shut up about it.
Last edited by conartstudio on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyhoo
itsame

Re:

Post by whyhoo »

fribhey wrote:nobody needs to confess, ask forgiveness or even ask permission.... if you have something that you own and you want to sell it on ebay then it's a free country.

it's nobody else's business what you do and don't do with your prints. this whole "flipper" crepe is getting really old. why people are getting their panties in a bunch over other people reselling is beyond me, especially considering there's a "SELLING AND TRADING" section on this site. apparently you are considered a "good" person if you sell a print here at marked up prices but when you put it up on auction for anyone to bid one then you are considered a "bad" person. the hypocrisy of some of the users here blows my mind.

maybe if the admis/mods ban the words "flip" and "flipper" people will shut up about it.

i think that there should be a new filter... flip --> quitcherbitchin
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

People would have to type "fl!p" to get around the filter :D
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

don't get me wrong - i've posed some questions about flipping myself here in the past.

But in real life, what you purchase is yours to do with as you please. Also, sellers are free to sell to anyone they'd like to. They're also free NOT to sell to anyone they don't want to.

Play the game if you want to, but beware of the consequences. That's all!
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:nobody needs to confess, ask forgiveness or even ask permission.... if you have something that you own and you want to sell it on ebay then it's a free country.

maybe if the admins/mods ban the words "flip" and "flipper" people will shut up about it.

Sure, it's free world and you can do what ever you want. You can throw puppies off a cliff if you are so inclined. But one thing this board has/had/supposed to have is a sense of community and the whole point of Shepard releasing prints at $35 is to make his art accessible, not so flippers can turn quick profits which is lame. You can do it, no one's going to stop you, but it's different than just selling old prints you don't want that have gone up in value.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
henna
-

Re: Re:

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote: but it's different than just selling old prints you don't want that have gone up in value.

Actually it's the exact same thing. That's why your point of view on the matter, which many people share, is nonsensical.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

cybernigel wrote:Sure, it's free world and you can do what ever you want. You can throw puppies off a cliff if you are so inclined. But one thing this board has/had/supposed to have is a sense of community and the whole point of Shepard releasing prints at $35 is to make his art accessible, not so flippers can turn quick profits which is lame. You can do it, no one's going to stop you, but it's different than just selling old prints you don't want that have gone up in value.

I read that article. What the heII is wrong with people. Seriously.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote: but it's different than just selling old prints you don't want that have gone up in value.

Actually it's the exact same thing. That's why your point of view on the matter, which many people share, is nonsensical.

Just because you are comfortable being lame doesn't make it nonsensical. It's not my point of view as much as it's Shepard's intent, which as a fan, I respect.
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

Just because you are comfortable being lame doesn't make it nonsensical. It's not my point of view as much as it's Shepard's intent, which as a fan, I respect.

Regardless of what Shepard's intent is, someone selling a print for a profit is just that. What ever you do to make yourself feel good about respecting Shepard is your business. However, that does not change the fact that the length of time between the purchase and the sale means nothing. The idea that an undefined period of time one holds a print justifies the profit seems to only serve as a cheap ploy for those who assign value to their status on message boards. It's people saying, "you sold a print for profit, and so did I, but I'm justified and you're not." That's just... well, nonsensical. By the way, I think that may be the first time I've been called "lame" since 1992.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

Regardless of what Shepard's intent is, someone selling a print for a profit is just that. What ever you do to make yourself feel good about respecting Shepard is your business. However, that does not change the fact that the length of time between the purchase and the sale means nothing. The idea that an undefined period of time one holds a print justifies the profit seems to only serve as a cheap ploy for those who assign value to their status on message boards. It's people saying, "you sold a print for profit, and so did I, but I'm justified and you're not." That's just... well, nonsensical. By the way, I think that may be the first time I've been called "lame" since 1992.

You're right, you should be banned from OG purchases. So how do you rationalize the shill bidding?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

your opinion that selling "older prints" is different then selling "newer" ones is not only nonsensical but it's also hypocritical. take a look at the selling forum, there's tons of newer prints from the past year (war for sale, peace bomber, Big Brother City, By Any Means Necessary, Kiss Me Deadly, Hostile Takeover, etc, etc). so we might as well call that section the flipping and trading section. what's the cut off date of being considered a flipper and seller, a print that is 1 month old, 3 months old, 6 months old? and who decides that cut off date? ducky waddles and arkitip sells old and new prints, are they flippers or do you give them some special pass because they are selling them on their site and not ebay? i'm sorry but there is no difference in selling a new print and an older print.

shepard wrote a book that is titled "supply and demand"... shepard has created the demand and controls the supply. the smaller the supply the more demand there is. the only way to create the demand is to print enough to be able to supply the demand.

as i've mentioned in the past, i've never sold a print before but in the off chance that i do then that's my business. the one thing more lame then flipping is crying and whining about flipping, people policing (Acting as the big brother) what other people do and pointing fingers at people calling them names.
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

oooooooh, fun! now i get to post this again!

beat the hell out of that thing!!!
cause i wreck when i tangle...
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:You're right, you should be banned from OG purchases. So how do you rationalize the shill bidding?

Yeah, I didn't think your argument had much to stand on either. Let me know when you're done moving the goal posts and we'll play again.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

your opinion that selling "older prints" is different then selling "newer" ones is not only nonsensical but it's also hypocritical. take a look at the selling forum, there's tons of newer prints from the past year (war for sale, peace bomber, Big Brother City, By Any Means Necessary, Kiss Me Deadly, Hostile Takeover, etc, etc). so we might as well call that section the flipping and trading section. what's the cut off date of being considered a flipper and seller, a print that is 1 month old, 3 months old, 6 months old? and who decides that cut off date? ducky waddles and arkitip sells old and new prints, are they flippers or do you give them some special pass because they are selling them on their site and not ebay? i'm sorry but there is no difference in selling a new print and an older print.

shepard wrote a book that is titled "supply and demand"... shepard has created the demand and controls the supply. the smaller the supply the more demand there is. the only way to create the demand is to print enough to be able to supply the demand.

as i've mentioned in the past, i've never sold a print before but in the off chance that i do then that's my business. the one thing more lame then flipping is crying and whining about flipping, people policing (Acting as the big brother) what other people do and pointing fingers at people calling them names.

I don't think it's that confusing. When you by a print and list it before you even have it hand for immediate turn around to make money off of another fan who couldn't get through on the site you are flipping. It is what it is and that's different than selling old prints that you decided not to hang on to. If sell my car to buy a new one after driving it for a year that doesn't make me a used car salesman. Flippers know who they are and what they are doing and it's not quite the same as you deciding to sell Big Brother City.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote:You're right, you should be banned from OG purchases. So how do you rationalize the shill bidding?

Yeah, I didn't think your argument had much to stand on either. Let me know when you're done moving the goal posts and we'll play again.

You were going to explain how you justify your shill bidding to rip people off. We're waiting.
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

You were going to explain how you justify your shill bidding to rip people off. We're waiting.

No I wasn't. I was going to see if you would actually try to stay on topic rather than change the subject.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:

No I wasn't. I was going to see if you would actually try to stay on topic rather than change the subject.

Exactly. What more needs to be said? Flipping can be defined and you've used your astute moral compass to unabashedly justify it and now we want to get a chuckle as you explain away your shilling.
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

My confession:

I did punch a baby once.... in anger. In my defense the baby was pawing at my War by Numbers.

/Also, I totally plagiarized this post.