Ebay/Flipper Confessions

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
henna
-

Re: Re:

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote: When you by a print and list it before you even have it hand for immediate turn around to make money off of another fan who couldn't get through on the site you are flipping. It is what it is and that's different than selling old prints that you decided not to hang on to.

On this you are dead on balls; provided that you sell the old prints for no more than what you originally paid for them. By your own definition, would selling older prints not be "making money off of another fan"? Or in order to qualify would the buyer have not been able to get through on the site? I understand you don't find it confusing, neither would I if I wanted to sound like a chat room hero.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:I don't think it's that confusing. When you by a print and list it before you even have it hand for immediate turn around to make money off of another fan who couldn't get through on the site you are flipping. It is what it is and that's different than selling old prints that you decided not to hang on to. If sell my car to buy a new one after driving it for a year that doesn't make me a used car salesman. Flippers know who they are and what they are doing and it's not quite the same as you deciding to sell Big Brother City.

nice way to change the discussion to side with your side of the argument. we NEVER said anything about selling prints you don't have. when i say selling something you OWN it is implied that you have it in your possession, if not then you don't own it.

you specifically said "newer" prints and "older" prints, that's why henna and i are saying your argument is nonsensical. so since you clarified that "newer" means selling a print you don't yet have means that in your eyes it's perfectly fine with you if i put obama up on ebay.
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:Exactly. What more needs to be said? Flipping can be defined

Correct, selling a print for a profit.

cybernigel wrote:and now we want to get a chuckle as you explain away your shilling.

I like your use of the royal we, as I'm sure some may find distaste in your speaking for them. As for "your shilling", go back and read the epic, it's all been said before. Not to mention that I wouldn't go through all that typing again for someone I appreciated on this board, let alone the gal running for queen of message board carnival.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:I don't think it's that confusing. When you by a print and list it before you even have it hand for immediate turn around to make money off of another fan who couldn't get through on the site you are flipping. It is what it is and that's different than selling old prints that you decided not to hang on to. If sell my car to buy a new one after driving it for a year that doesn't make me a used car salesman. Flippers know who they are and what they are doing and it's not quite the same as you deciding to sell Big Brother City.

nice way to change the discussion to side with your side of the argument. we NEVER said anything about selling prints you don't have. when i say selling something you OWN it is implied that you have it in your possession, if not then you don't own it.

you specifically said "newer" prints and "older" prints, that's why henna and i are saying your argument is nonsensical. so since you clarified that "newer" means selling a print you don't yet have means that in your eyes it's perfectly fine with you if i put obama up on ebay.

?? I own lots of thing that aren't in my possession.

I'm not changing the discussion I'm clarifying my position. If you bought Obama with the sole intent of flipping for a quick profit than you are acting contrary to Shep's stated mission of getting art into the hands of his fans who want it at a reasonable price. Go ahead and do it if that's your deal. I can't say there is a specific timeline between when it's a flip or an aftermarket sale but any reasonable person would see the difference between a collector selling a piece they've decided against and trolls who routinely buy and immediately sell just because they don't make enough money flipping burgers, or have spent too much money eating them. A lot of people do it before they even have the print in hand. Henna you did that with your Swoon Helena right? I realize people are going to flip, they have a right to. Just as I have a right to think it 's lame and jacks prices for others who have a true interest in the piece. If that's not the way you feel, then we agree to disagree. But be sure and go up to Shepard at the next show and tell him you really dig his work especially the way you can turn around and sell it for several times the cost during the same week he released it.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote:Exactly. What more needs to be said? Flipping can be defined

Correct, selling a print for a profit.

cybernigel wrote:and now we want to get a chuckle as you explain away your shilling.

I like your use of the royal we, as I'm sure some may find distaste in your speaking for them. As for "your shilling", go back and read the epic, it's all been said before. Not to mention that I wouldn't go through all that typing again for someone I appreciated on this board, let alone the gal running for queen of message board carnival.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to re-live the humility either.
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't want to re-live the humility either.

I guess, If you say so. Unless of course I couldn't give a sh1t :lol: But either way, your flipper talk is nonsense; and your reaching for distractions to draw attention from your poorly thought out reasoning shows that you would rather escape your position than defend it. Nice work.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:Henna you did that with your Swoon Helena right?

that's my point. why do you care so much what other people do? why are you keeping tabs on people? do you not have better things to do then care so much on who sells what, when they sell it and for how much?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
cybernigel wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't want to re-live the humility either.

I guess, If you say so. Unless of course I couldn't give a sh1t :lol: But either way, your flipper talk is nonsense; and your reaching for distractions to draw attention from your poorly thought out reasoning shows that you would rather escape your position than defend it. Nice work.

My position is solid and I've stood by it. Your attempt to lump your shady transactions into "any sale for a profit flipping so I'm not the dbag I appear to be" is rather suspect though.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:Henna you did that with your Swoon Helena right?

that's my point. why do you care so much what other people do? why are you keeping tabs on people? do you not have better things to do then care so much on who sells what, when they sell it and for how much?

I'm a collector, I watch the market. I don't judge how you spend your time.
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote: A lot of people do it before they even have the print in hand. Henna you did that with your Swoon Helena right?

I don't believe so, but not because I feel it's wrong. To do so the seller needs to accept the risk of complications arising from shipping. If they accept the risk and are prepared to suffer neg feedback on ebay or other neg repercussions due to their miscalculations, so be it. I generally take receipt of something before I sell it, but only to minimize my risk.

cybernigel wrote:But be sure and go up to Shepard at the next show and tell him you really dig his work especially the way you can turn around and sell it for several times the cost during the same week he released it.

:lol: That's funny, and should the opportunity ever present itself I just might, if only for a laugh and to be able to say that me and the splasher were the only people thrown out of one of his shows. But I honeslty think Shepard would care as much about my point of view as I do about his views of flipping.
michaelm
Swindler

Post by michaelm »

cybernigel wrote:i don't judge how you spend your time.

haha, excluding the part of the thread where you called people who sell prints on ebay lame, shady, immoral, con-artists and likened them to puppy killers. but aside from that you're very non-judgemental about how people spend their time.
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

We are losing focus.. This should be a confession only forum. No judgement here.
circa77
Giant

Re: Ebay/Flipper Confessions

Post by circa77 »

you know that one law that states that the longer an internet conversation goes on, the more likely it is to discuss fascism?

edit: Godwin's Law

Well, in this forum (or any other art collectors forum) the law that is irrevocably decreed is that the longer a conversation exists, the more likely it is to mention flipping. -"CIRCA'S LAW"
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

^ such an AWESOME song!!!
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

michaelm wrote:
cybernigel wrote:i don't judge how you spend your time.

haha, excluding the part of the thread where you called people who sell prints on ebay lame, shady, immoral, con-artists and likened them to puppy killers. but aside from that you're very non-judgemental about how people spend their time.

Are you judging me? ;-)

I was responding to Fribhey but you may want to check the accuracy of your recap lest you have no regard for credibility.
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

circa77 wrote:you know that one law that states that the longer an internet conversation goes on, the more likely it is to discuss fascism?

edit: Godwin's Law

Well, in this forum (or any other art collectors forum) the law that is irrevocably decreed is that the longer a conversation exists, the more likely it is to mention flipping. -"CIRCA'S LAW"

Yer such a frickin' Nazi for bringing that up
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Flipping is ok if:
a) You are a paying for a medical condition
b) You are paying for your dog's medical condition. (Cats are excluded. If you flip for your cat's medical condition, then you will be labeled a "flipper")
c) You are paying your energy bill so you can stay warm during the winter
d) You are buying a new pair of shoes

Feel free to add to this list.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I think you've got it covered. I might add:

e) if you accidentally flip you can always blame the current president of any G-8 nation (or the WTO).
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Forgot this one:
f) If you are trying to save money to buy Ali, Sunsets or War By Numbers
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

f) you feel like it
cause i wreck when i tangle...
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Actually, I really did punch a baby once.

But in my defense, he called my momma a ho.

Or maybe it was it was something else. He was 15 months old. And he had a lisp.

Anyway, I punched him.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

g) feed your family cuz you are a seasonal worker
h) saving for a fine art piece
and my favorite
i) the artist or his company did something that really p1ssed you off

:D
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
rastapunk
Giant

Re:

Post by rastapunk »

admonkey wrote:Actually, I really did punch a baby once.

But in my defense, he called my momma a ho.

Or maybe it was it was something else. He was 15 months old. And he had a lisp.

Anyway, I punched him.

... looks like you taught him well.

Yantra and mantra create tantra.
jwaddle
Posse

Post by jwaddle »

whyhoo wrote:
rastapunk wrote:
dirtyd0369 wrote:1. I tried selling war is over a while back... It was up on Ebay when the Juxtapoz with the war is over image on the cover came out. It made me realize how much I really loved the image (because it cropped some of the junk at the bottom) So when the auction ended I told the buyer that I left it out before shipping it and the my cat scratched it up real bad and refunded his/her monies.

Selling a print is one thing, but ^^that^^ shows a complete lack of integrity.

somewhat questionable, but i'm not sure it indicates a complete lack of integrity.

Either you've got it or you don't. You can't choose the playing field, you only have control over how you play the game. A lie is a lie and deceit is deceit. You can't whitewash it and make it go away. Making it public here only exposes your deceit to us all and the person you deceived may be a member and read this. This whole thread is ridiculous. This is not a confessional. We can't forgive your sins.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium