Eine, Ben

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
password
Giant

Eine, Ben

Post by password »

I know he's mainly a UK guy, but I still can't believe there isn't already a Eine thread on here. His most classic font, Shutter, is available now in a A-Z canvas:

http://www.stelladore.com/Gallery.asp?Artist=Eine

And here's some Eine streetwork:

slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I really dont get this guys typographic stuff! Why would people pay so much for something you could just type out!
nixon451
Giant

Re: Eine, Ben

Post by nixon451 »

Did anyone ever figure out where the W is?
password
Giant

Re:

Post by password »

slidingaround wrote:I really dont get this guys typographic stuff! Why would people pay so much for something you could just type out!

For me, it's the clever commentary on street art and graffiti. People perceive street art and graffiti as something inherently dangerous and associated with crime, vandalism, and the breakdown of society. By using precise, carefully crafted pretty and colorful letters, Eine kinda makes us think about how we feel about street art in general. Some of it, like a Twist face, a Banksy ape, a Futura train, or a Fairey pasteup is infinitely more artistic than, say, a Nike billboard that assaults us daily. It says "Scary" and it's spraypainted on the wall illegally, but is it actually that scary? Same with the Vandalism piece...is that vandalism to you? Granted, things like gang tags the streets can do without, but not all street art is scary or sinister.

Eine's work may not translate well to a canvas or print, but it is something by Eine that people can actually put on their walls without taking down a wall.
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

He is coming to Andenken this summer and has plans to get up big time in the city of Denver. I think his work is very underrated, using typography is not as easy at looks and his skills to get it up on such a large scale is very impressive.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
slidingaround
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by slidingaround »

password wrote:
slidingaround wrote:I really dont get this guys typographic stuff! Why would people pay so much for something you could just type out!

For me, it's the clever commentary on street art and graffiti. People perceive street art and graffiti as something inherently dangerous and associated with crime, vandalism, and the breakdown of society. By using precise, carefully crafted pretty and colorful letters, Eine kinda makes us think about how we feel about street art in general. Some of it, like a Twist face, a Banksy ape, a Futura train, or a Fairey pasteup is infinitely more artistic than, say, a Nike billboard that assaults us daily. It says "Scary" and it's spraypainted on the wall illegally, but is it actually that scary? Same with the Vandalism piece...is that vandalism to you? Granted, things like gang tags the streets can do without, but not all street art is scary or sinister.

Eine's work may not translate well to a canvas or print, but it is something by Eine that people can actually put on their walls without taking down a wall.

Dont get me wrong! I can totally respect his street stuff! To get that done in the street, huge letters like that is risky and i like the fact it almost looks like an ad! I just dont think it transfers to paper or canvas well at all! To me the whole meaning behind it is lost!
People say the same thing about Blu, but Eines impact on paper or canvas is so much worse!
password
Giant

Post by password »

slidingaround wrote:Dont get me wrong! I can totally respect his street stuff! To get that done in the street, huge letters like that is risky and i like the fact it almost looks like an ad! I just dont think it transfers to paper or canvas well at all! To me the whole meaning behind it is lost!
People say the same thing about Blu, but Eines impact on paper or canvas is so much worse!

Besides the fact that some people DO like the canvases and prints for what they are, it's to have something made by hand and touched by an artist they like, admire, and respect. Some people claim they can make their own Rothko, Basquiat, Ellsworth Kelley, and even BAST (well someone here actually did make their own "BAST"s) pieces, but that doesn't stop others for paying top dollar for their work. :D
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

seen loads of his stuff round shoreditch (London,east end) and it is awesome in the flesh.

whole rows of shops with the shutters painted with a massive single letter.

the scary bridge you guys will probably recognise cos Shep hit up one end of it when He was in London last year....
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

password wrote:
slidingaround wrote:Dont get me wrong! I can totally respect his street stuff! To get that done in the street, huge letters like that is risky and i like the fact it almost looks like an ad! I just dont think it transfers to paper or canvas well at all! To me the whole meaning behind it is lost!

Besides the fact that some people DO like the canvases and prints for what they are, it's to have something made by hand and touched by an artist they like, admire, and respect. Some people claim they can make their own Rothko, Basquiat, Ellsworth Kelley, and even BAST (well someone here actually did make their own "BAST"s) pieces, but that doesn't stop others for paying top dollar for their work. :D

Yeah i admit that was wrong of me to say i could re-create, it's no reason for arguement! I also cant stand it when people say that about bast etc etc etc! I do typography and graphics for a living and some of the typography we do is simple, others are very introcate and very time consuming, even the simple stuff, which can be more time consuming! So i can appreciate good typography but when you take it out the street i just dont find it impressive in the slightest! Everyone to their own and all that!
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

slidingaround wrote:

Yeah i admit that was wrong of me to say i could re-create, it's no reason for arguement! I also cant stand it when people say that about bast etc etc etc! I do typography and graphics for a living and some of the typography we do is simple, others are very introcate and very time consuming, even the simple stuff, which can be more time consuming! So i can appreciate good typography but when you take it out the street i just dont find it impressive in the slightest! Everyone to their own and all that!

You have heard of the period, right? It looks like this. :lol:
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Wow, i did'nt notice that. Thats what you get from drawing pictures all day for a living i suppose. Your English writing skills seem to suffer. Im pretty sure i could write in good gramma if i had to but i dont really think about it when writing on an Art forum! I did'nt realise i would get grilled for it here! :) (We call it a fullstop here by the way, it took me a while to realise what you meant.)
fautebol
Punk

Post by fautebol »

I do like very much this "disco" canvas. I feel kind of ashamed like listening some stupid music, but if I had plenty plenty of cash, I would buy it.

Stencilled spray paint on canvas. Each individual star is made up of 3 stars and a white dot. This canvas is one off; other colour ways may be available in the future. 100 x 80 cm
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

just got 4 canvases today. Don't have prices yet but let me know if you are interested in anything:

http://www.andenken.com/shop/artists/eine

Peace

MM
password
Giant

Post by password »

His show is coming up soon at Andenken: http://www.andenken.com

Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

This is the best show I've had so far. Everything is so rad.

Peace

Tom
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

I love the Hell Canvas!
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

WOW... he really went all out on these
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

i love these...
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

nixon451 wrote:Did anyone ever figure out where the W is?
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

admonkey wrote:

I thought the point to that was that the world would be a better place without "W" or "Dubya".
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Gigantico wrote:
admonkey wrote:

I thought the point to that was that the world would be a better place without "W" or "Dubya".

Well motherf^cker! I bid three kay!
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

Bling Bling
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Gigantico wrote:
admonkey wrote:

Yeah, that's what I heard.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

The White House?
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

robotoil wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
admonkey wrote:

Yeah, that's what I heard.

NO! That is NOT the reason there is no W.

His first font was the "Circus" font which is German and did not have a W in it. Also, he like the way the pieces look w/o a W.

Nothing to do w/ BUSH!