JRF

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

JRF

Post by Baurmann Gallery »

I am about to add all of the work I commissioned to my site, but I would love to hear some more discussion about Jason’s artwork.

Personally, I have been very impressed with everything I have seen. With how long he has been an artist, I know it is only the tip too. For example, his photography is something I have just seen small slides [of a large installation] , but the little bit I did see astonished me to say the least.

Check out below in the pics section for a selection of his work [some soon to be hanging on my walls]…

http://www.myspace.com/mygarageland

Abstract, abstract expressionist, and conceptual artists like Jackson Pollock, Rothko, Kandinsky, Rauschenberg, Cy Twombly and Damien Hirst are some I recommend looking into more [if you already are not familiar] for great examples of the above styles. Overall, I think Jason’s work show’s the influences of some of the preceding masters, while still maintaining an originality that continues to develop w/ his new series and works. Also, minimalism is something else to look into as well, especially Frank Stella’s work. Duchamp, Jasper Johns, Rosenquist and De Kooning are whom I would recommend researching too.

In my opinion, getting to know Jason’s work is almost an art history lesson in itself…
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

Took some pics over the weekend in the sunlight...

Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

nice!
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

JRF

I look forward to seeing all of the new work this year from JRF!

Big things in 2008 coming for sure...
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Nice Avatar! hahhaha

Yeah, so I guess I will be moving into these 'smaller digs' here on this thread from now on, which is cool with me. It's been a great experience becoming part of the on-line community here and I would like to stay involved.

Many thanks to Baurmann for all the support.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Very cool, JRF!
JErikR
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re: JRF

Post by Backpackpunk »

Baurmann Gallery wrote:I look forward to seeing all of the new work this year from JRF!

Big things in 2008 coming for sure...

nice avatar Mr. Copy cat :)
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

[quote]"I am also very excited to announce some of my activities on the 2008 calendar. In September, new work will be appearing in a group show at Neurotitan Gallery in Berlin, Germany. Some of my 1/1 hand-pulled, screenprinted apparel and accessories will also soon be available for purchase on-line and in-store via Fresh Pressed here in LA. Their website is http://www.fresh-pressed.com.

- - through my own dumb luck... I was lucky enough ( must be because I am Irish ) to land this....

I am guessing its similar to what might be dropping ( or at least equally as fresh! ) at the above website...

I love it and am thinking about framing it with my pictures versus wearing it... check out the AWESOME metallic ink on the close up!!!
Thanks again.... ec

close up... tag flipped.....

A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Oh yeah....in case anyone missed it the first time around...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=295kg_E75Ek
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

nice avatar Mr. Copy cat

I prefer to call it a reflection of your good taste in art ;)
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Jason,

Great to still have you posting on here for sure!

I always love the knowledge I gain from our conversations, whether by email, phone, or while chilling, but I am sure plenty of other people could benefit from your insight and opinions as well…so, I will throw out a question I had for you here:

Basically, what is your favorite type of paper to use for your high end fine art?

Personally, Strathmore Series 500 Bristol is my current favorite. MEAR has me sold on how amazing that paper is, especially the Cold Press surface. I was wondering what some of your top choices were and if there are any in particular you are looking to experiment with?
Jason Filipow
JRF

Re: Re:

Post by Jason Filipow »

Baurmann Gallery wrote:Jason,

Great to still have you posting on here for sure!

I always love the knowledge I gain from our conversations, whether by email, phone, or while chilling, but I am sure plenty of other people could benefit from your insight and opinions as well…so, I will throw out a question I had for you here:

Basically, what is your favorite type of paper to use for your high end fine art?

Personally, Strathmore Series 500 Bristol is my current favorite. MEAR has me sold on how amazing that paper is, especially the Cold Press surface. I was wondering what some of your top choices were and if there are any in particular you are looking to experiment with?

Derek- Believe it or not, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to substrates. For the Action Drawings, I usually choose something archival, expensive and smooth-toothed. It just depends on what medium is being used...Arches Aquarelle comes to mind. For my monotypes, I have been using pads of Bristol board b/c of it's affordability, thickness and smooth surface. Before the monotypes go into actual 'edition' runs, I will have to do more research.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Great first post!

Oh.

Wait.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Post by C.Morrison »

define/explain "monotype."

I'd like to see one of those action drawings in person. hahaha. just giving you a hard time.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

C.Morrison wrote:define/explain "monotype."

I'd like to see one of those action drawings in person. hahaha. just giving you a hard time.

monotype:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotype

monoprint:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoprint
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Post by C.Morrison »

Thank you sir!
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

Are any of Jason's action drawings still available? Or was this a one of a kind type thing?
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Re:

Derek- Believe it or not, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to substrates. For the Action Drawings, I usually choose something archival, expensive and smooth-toothed. It just depends on what medium is being used...Arches Aquarelle comes to mind. For my monotypes, I have been using pads of Bristol board b/c of it's affordability, thickness and smooth surface. Before the monotypes go into actual 'edition' runs, I will have to do more research.

Sorry for much delayed response. I hope you are keeping just as busy if not more!

I was a little surprised on that answer, as I was expecting for you to list off a few avant-garde hand made paper types from some old guy in a little obscure village still making it in his own mill…LOL

If you ever find anything interesting, please let me know. All of the papers you listed are ones I like a lot for sure. For your paintings, do you have any preference in terms of canvas, wood, or even more untraditional materials like cans?
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

Also, I wanted to make sure someone posted this, as I thought what Shepard said paid about as much respect to Jason as an artist and a friend as he could have…

Jason Filipow and I met at a skateboard contest in 1986. I dug his style on a skateboard and also soon realized that he was one of the only other people at my school who made stencils. We bonded over skateboarding, punk music, and art. We have been friends ever since. The picture of Jason in the sunglasses was taken in 1988 in Washington D.C. I hand drew the Bad Brains tee with a sharpie by me mixing graphics from their ROIR cassette release and their third album I Against I. I gave Jason the shirt because he said he liked it.
Fast forward to 2004 and I hired Jason to come work for my design studio, and to help me as a fine art assistant. Jason’s help has been invaluable to my progression for many reasons. Since 1986 we have shared a love of many of the same art processes and frequently discussed art theory. I trusted Jason’s opinion, and many aspects of my art evolution were critiqued by Jason. Jason also helped with collage and stencil work that allowed me the freedom to work as a fine artist and graphic designer simultaneously. Without an assistant of Jason’s calibre, aspects of my art or design would have suffered due to lack of time for both. Like George Martin was the guy behind the scenes helping the Beatles sound amazing, Jason has been the guy behind the scenes helping me realize my potential. Well, Tomorrow is Jason’s last day as my full time assistant. He is going to go out on his own to realize his potential as an artist and designer. I can only hope that Jason will achieve all of his dreams to the extent he has helped me achieve mine. As a coincidence, but a fitting twenty year landmark, Jason’s last project for me involves helping to prepare a 12 by 14 foot Obey Bad Brains tribute mural. Jason and I have both said that we do the same things we did in high school, just bigger, and now we get paid for it. Thanks for everything Jason. I’ll miss having a co-worker I have so much history with, who can finish my sentences with Big Lebowski, Spinal Tap, Fargo, or Dodgeball quotes. Good luck.
-Shepard
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Baurmann Gallery wrote:Also, I wanted to make sure someone posted this, as I thought what Shepard said paid about as much respect to Jason as an artist and a friend as he could have…

Jason Filipow and I met at a skateboard contest in 1986. I dug his style on a skateboard and also soon realized that he was one of the only other people at my school who made stencils. We bonded over skateboarding, punk music, and art. We have been friends ever since. The picture of Jason in the sunglasses was taken in 1988 in Washington D.C. I hand drew the Bad Brains tee with a sharpie by me mixing graphics from their ROIR cassette release and their third album I Against I. I gave Jason the shirt because he said he liked it.
Fast forward to 2004 and I hired Jason to come work for my design studio, and to help me as a fine art assistant. Jason’s help has been invaluable to my progression for many reasons. Since 1986 we have shared a love of many of the same art processes and frequently discussed art theory. I trusted Jason’s opinion, and many aspects of my art evolution were critiqued by Jason. Jason also helped with collage and stencil work that allowed me the freedom to work as a fine artist and graphic designer simultaneously. Without an assistant of Jason’s calibre, aspects of my art or design would have suffered due to lack of time for both. Like George Martin was the guy behind the scenes helping the Beatles sound amazing, Jason has been the guy behind the scenes helping me realize my potential. Well, Tomorrow is Jason’s last day as my full time assistant. He is going to go out on his own to realize his potential as an artist and designer. I can only hope that Jason will achieve all of his dreams to the extent he has helped me achieve mine. As a coincidence, but a fitting twenty year landmark, Jason’s last project for me involves helping to prepare a 12 by 14 foot Obey Bad Brains tribute mural. Jason and I have both said that we do the same things we did in high school, just bigger, and now we get paid for it. Thanks for everything Jason. I’ll miss having a co-worker I have so much history with, who can finish my sentences with Big Lebowski, Spinal Tap, Fargo, or Dodgeball quotes. Good luck.
-Shepard

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Jason_Filipow
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

jshea- They are a continued body of work/in progress....thanks for asking. And please keep in touch.

Baurmann- Hahhah...yeah, I am kinda novice on the specialty papers. I am really picky about the pens/pencils/paper that I use for commercial design roughs/sketches/lettering, though. And as for Shepard's statement, yeah, I was flattered by it. Speaking of "... one of the only other people at my school who made stencils," I just dug this up and photographed it for my portfolio. My earliest surviving homemade/hand cut stencil, Skull Skates, from 1985. It's about 3" x 5". Dig all that accumulated paint on the surface of that thing!

I used to stencil my grip tape, shirts, jackets and shoes and all the rest of it. I also charged kids on my block 50 cents per stencil/per color to paint their skateboards or whatever.
daanmuller
Posse

Post by daanmuller »

Wow, that's one well used stencil.
Art by Daan - My artblog
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by sessone »

Jason Filipow wrote:I used to stencil my grip tape, shirts, jackets and shoes and all the rest of it. I also charged kids on my block 50 cents per stencil/per color to paint their skateboards or whatever.

I have a buck - where should I send it??? :)
cause i wreck when i tangle...
hfilipow
Punk

Post by hfilipow »

I wonder just how many times that stencil also appear on my garage floor!? :wink:
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

hfilipow wrote:I wonder just how many times that stencil also appear on my garage floor!? :wink:

Hahha....very funny. That stencil is from the Gypsy Lane era, Mom! I don't know how it survived, but I sure wish I had some of the other ones from that time....