How is VAT calculated? Declared Insurance? Different Form?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Gang,

I got a few pieces I need to ship to France.

And I am considering purchasing insurance for a piece worth $2500. I know USPS will insure up to $2400 to Paris. So if I insure, which would run around $35 bucks, would does customs use to figure out the value of shipment?

Does customs look at the declared insurance value to charge VAT or is it separate? The VAT would be around 133 Euros if i declare $2400 value.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :shock: Thanks!
submethod
Giant

Don't know if it's to late.
And can't say about France.

But in Denmark the customs will hold back my tube, then contact me and ask for documentation on the purchase value and shipping. And then calculate my VAT and custom based on that. If I'm unlucky they will even open my tube and unroll the print - durn morons.
Ilja
Posse

Ilja wrote:Don't know if it's to late.

But in Denmark the customs will hold back my tube, then contact me and ask for documentation on the purchase value and shipping. And then calculate my VAT and custom based on that. If I'm unlucky they will even open my tube and unroll the print - durn morons.

What if it's shipped first class and marked as a gift at original print price $20-$45?
on point like a decimalist?
whyhoo
itsame

whyhoo wrote:
Ilja wrote:Don't know if it's to late.

What if it's shipped first class and marked as a gift at original print price $20-$45?

I checked with USPS. if you says its a gift and you insure with USPS for $2400 bucks. VAT will be for 2400 bucks.
It appears customs DOES price match to the insurance claimed.
submethod
Giant

Return to Hit & Miss