Do you have insurance for your collection?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Hello everybody. I am now up to about 50 obey prints, 30 other prints I enjoy and have a pretty decent toy collection. From resin to designer toys, I have a little bit of everything. My brother is a lawyer and very smart guy. Every time he visits me, he tells me I need to get my collection insured. But I do like to trade with people to try and get pieces that I need. I was wondering if anybody has ever insured their collection and how do you go about it. And how much does it usually cost. Because I keep adding. So I was just wondering if this is a common thing. Never really hear people talk about it. Sorry for all the questions.
Stonecutterjeff
Swindler

Mine is insured. If you have a homeowners or renters policy, just call your agent and say you want to schedule some artwork. I have what i own on a spreadsheet that I give the insurance company. The spreadsheet contains links to EB pricing. Since I buy and sometimes sell too, i shoot them the spreadsheet a couple times a year. It's pretty easy.

One last thing, most insurance companies require appraisals for items valued over a few thousand dollars which can be a pain.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

@jjttdw - This is great info. But whats the charge for insurance like this?
submethod
Giant

I use actual art insurance as it's way better than regular insurance. They will pay for things like paper degrading over time, floods for burst pipes or similar(lots of homeowners/renters policies don't cover this), if art is damaged during transport. I use MiniCo(I think that's the name) and they're based in Arizona. They only require you to estimate total collection worth and declare any pieces over 5k in value.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
DunDun
Giant

DunDun wrote:I use actual art insurance as it's way better than regular insurance. They will pay for things like paper degrading over time, floods for burst pipes or similar(lots of homeowners/renters policies don't cover this), if art is damaged during transport. I use MiniCo(I think that's the name) and they're based in Arizona. They only require you to estimate total collection worth and declare any pieces over 5k in value.

I had to check it out for myself. http://www.minico.com/ It's included in the Collectibles Insurance product. The supposedly have nationwide coverage so I'm going to look into this further. Thanks for the heads up DunDun.
hexterb
Propaganda Engineer

insuring 500$ costs about 1$ a year ober here in germany
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
ideabolo
Giant

Great info thanks guys
WANTED: ZIPPO X OBEY LIGHTERS
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30181
http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Zippo
It's RLBCHEF not ribchef
rlbchef
Giant

ideabolo wrote:insuring 500$ costs about 1$ a year ober here in germany

Generally works out to 2-3% declared value, annually, in the USA.
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

I have dedicated art insurance - I don't remember who it is through though - I think it's about 1% of the value per year.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
noverflow
I think I started this

Finally getting around to insuring my collection now that I have some fine art pieces. Other than https://www.minico.com/collectibles-insurance/ are there any other insurance companies that you can recommend?
no1gdman
Posse

USAA
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Return to Hit & Miss