registration process

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Hey, wondering if a mod could help out. someone contacted me about selling some 90s era prints (bomber and vicious subversion), and I suggested this forum. he tried to register, but he hasn't received a confirmation email yet. is there a timeframe that this process usually takes?

thanks!
chuckkeppler
Swindler

Best person to ask would be Noverflow

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
bigfuntimeuse
Punk

Thanks!
chuckkeppler
Swindler

Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

conartstudio wrote:Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.

Wait, so no one is running the site? How is it maintained? How is it paid for? I do remember when they said they would be leaving.
submethod
Giant

Maybe it is time to move this along to someone who knows what they are doing.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

well if it comes to a vote. dont votes for me, not only can I not spell, but i cant use spell or grammer check.
garbage , i barely can tye my shoes.

durn, where is that old obey 404 (web error image) when we need it
vvk
Giant

Says last new user joined in August. Maybe it's broken. For the record, the page doesn't display very well in multiple browsers for me.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.
So that begs the question, are we on automatic pilot?

Moderators? What's the word?

To be honest, I see that participation on thegiant.org is very low. A lot of traffic is on UAA now.
submethod
Giant

submethod wrote:Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.

To be honest, I see that participation on thegiant.org is very low. A lot of traffic is on UAA now.

UAA?
jak88
Giant

jak88 wrote:
submethod wrote:Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.

UAA?

urbanartassociation.com
submethod
Giant

submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.

Wait, so no one is running the site? How is it maintained? How is it paid for? I do remember when they said they would be leaving.

I doubt anyone is “maintaining” the site. I assume it’s being hosted on an account owned by Adam and Mary, could be sitting on a server they are using for other things. Since the traffic is definitely less than what it used to be, so hosting fees are minimal. Problem is, if it’s not updated at some point then it will be too late to update and all will be gone. If people can’t register then things are already breaking.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

so now begs the question.
Is someone gonna step up and try and offer to take control of it so it can live on.
or do we all move to a facebook group?

I for one do not have the techinical knowhow to run a electric lawnmover let alone a server.
vvk
Giant

I am one level above you. Plug lawnmower in when not mowing...unplug when you want to mow
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

jjttdw wrote:I am one level above you. Plug lawnmower in when not mowing...unplug when you want to mow

Oh crepe.. I didnt even realize mine had a plug. that could be my problem(or one of my many problems. got to go home and check. Yeah, been working this whole time . I will miss quarantine when its over.
vvk
Giant

I think the issue here is also profitability. Yes, it is a .org but still someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Hosting and domain services cost some bucks.
The site itself doesn't make any money. So it is a loss leader for sure.
submethod
Giant

submethod wrote:I think the issue here is also profitability. Yes, it is a .org but still someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Hosting and domain services cost some bucks.
The site itself doesn't make any money. So it is a loss leader for sure.

I believe after the last fundraiser Adam said the lights would be on for quite awhile.
Cookie Head
Giant

I'd love it if the site had price history and sales functionality.....#wishlist
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

well for what its worth. I would be willing to donate 1 or 2 prints for sale with all proceeds going to the update and continuing of the site. I would be even hapy to do some sort of fund raiser.
maybe someone who knows how to contact adam and mary can reach out to about taking it over and upgrading.

im not sure what this all entails and what cost are involved, maybe someone with the know how can give us some quick non binding estimates?
hoping this can work out.
vvk
Giant

vvk wrote:well for what its worth. I would be willing to donate 1 or 2 prints for sale with all proceeds going to the update and continuing of the site. I would be even hapy to do some sort of fund raiser.
maybe someone who knows how to contact adam and mary can reach out to about taking it over and upgrading.

im not sure what this all entails and what cost are involved, maybe someone with the know how can give us some quick non binding estimates?
hoping this can work out.

I work in the tech field. I also know a few of us on here do to. We would have to see how much hosting costs for the amount of traffic the site gets. I think none of our talk matters unless they are looking to sell?

Raising funds is always a good thing.
submethod
Giant

Return to Hit & Miss