Monkey Pod Tree on Wood?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
MunkeyPants
Giant

Monkey Pod Tree on Wood?

Post by MunkeyPants »

EB lists a Monkey Pod Tree on Wood. The wiki here does not. Does anyone own one of these, either regular wood or HPM on wood? Feel free to PM if you own one and don't want to advertise it.
Submit. Rapture.
spagucci1
Giant

Re: Monkey Pod Tree on Wood?

Post by spagucci1 »

This is the one some considered a Shep peice, some didnt. The deal with this peice is that a 3rd source party printed the Monkey Pod image on a piece of wood and Shep signed it. I dont consider it an official Obey peice, but some did since Shep signed it.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

No different to shep getting someone to print his screenprints no?
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Wouldn't that be the same with the bamboo piece? Didn't Shep sign those AT the show?
Submit. Rapture.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

MunkeyPants wrote:Wouldn't that be the same with the bamboo piece? Didn't Shep sign those AT the show?
Yes.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

The one spagucci1 is referring to is the Bamboo one.
Most prints from 2003 on have a 18x24 version on wood also and I think that is what Munkey Pants is referring to.

There show as 2 in EB collections so I would assume there is a good chance the people who own these are on this board.
You also might want to try posted on the EB forum.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

slidingaround wrote:No different to shep getting someone to print his screenprints no?
Yes I think it is. What if I was to print a Andre Warhol on wood and have Shep sign it? What would your thoughts be on that one?
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

Backpackpunk wrote:The one spagucci1 is referring to is the Bamboo one.
Most prints from 2003 on have a 18x24 version on wood also and I think that is what Munkey Pants is referring to.

There show as 2 in EB collections so I would assume there is a good chance the people who own these are on this board.

people always are putting the wrong editions into their collections on eb. ive messaged people about fs items and on multiple occasions been told that they dont have what they claim to have.

edit:

also isnt this monkey pod on bamboo from the same show as your arab woman on bamboo?
Last edited by adambad on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

spagucci1 wrote:
slidingaround wrote:No different to shep getting someone to print his screenprints no?
Yes I think it is. What if I was to print a Andre Warhol on wood and have Shep sign it? What would your thoughts be on that one?
If Shepard sent you the image and direction on how to print it and paid you for your services while condoning the sale through a gallery then it would be ok for me. Isn't that what Mr. Brainwash does and you seem to be fine with it.

I know this might be hard for a lot of people to accept but most artist have assistants doing work for them, either painting part or all of the image as well as doing screen printing for them.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

adambad wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:The one spagucci1 is referring to is the Bamboo one.

people always are putting the wrong editions into their collections on eb. ive messaged people about fs items and on multiple occasions been told that they dont have what they claim to have.

edit:

also isnt this monkey pod on bamboo from the same show as your arab woman on bamboo?
Yes the money pod on bamboo I was referring to was from the same show, in fact the only time any of the bamboo pieces were released was at the Sea No Evil show from 2008, the 2009 Sea No Evil show featured the furniture on bamboo.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Let's keep this civil, but yes, I'm looking for the 18x24's on wood, either HPM or regular screen prints on wood. I recall very well the debate about the bamboo pieces from the Sea Shepard show. From a time perspective, I don't care where or when Shepard signed a piece. Often, work is delivered to a gallery the day before a show. (Case in Point - MKG with Samuel Lowder. The huge bus painting did not arrive in the gallery until last night after the first previews were sent out.) For Sea Shepard, the bamboo prints were likely done at the last minute and delivered to the show rather than his studio to save time and effort.
Submit. Rapture.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

spagucci1 wrote:
Ok, i respect your opinion but will have to disagree. I dont think its any different.

As far as your question on the Andre Warhol on wood question, thats completly different. If shep payed you to print it and then he signed it, thats fine with me.
If he had no idea it was being done and didnt submit his personal artwork and colour selection but signed it as i kind gesture on some fan art then no, i wouldnt consider that fine to be sold as a piece of fine art.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

slidingaround wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
Ok, i respect your opinion but will have to disagree. I dont think its any different.

As far as your question on the Andre Warhol on wood question, thats completly different. If shep payed you to print it and then he signed it, thats fine with me.
If he had no idea it was being done and didnt submit his personal artwork and colour selection but signed it as i kind gesture on some fan art then no, i wouldnt consider that fine to be sold as a piece of fine art.
How do we know Shep approved everything and paid for the printing process?
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

spagucci1 wrote:
slidingaround wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

How do we know Shep approved everything and paid for the printing process?
I'll go with the assumption that he ok'ed it and provided the art considering he was in the show for the last 2 years with signed pieces and will be in the show this year also........but then again I guess we never KNOW KNOW :roll:
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

About 12 years late to the party, but I can answer your question: there's at least one!

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I knew you got it
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

was this on ebay?
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

vvk wrote:was this on ebay?
Yes it was. I have no idea exactly how much or how little other interest there was before or after it sold, but in any case I was very fortunate with this one. The seller was super friendly, too.

Added a wiki entry: Monkey_Pod_on Wood
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

very cool.
I remeber picking up a 1/2 printed print of this on paper it was missing the lanterns or something.
I need to go back and re read this thread sometime. but I remeber some discussion about these pcs being snuck out the back door by a disgruntiled shop hand or something? does anyone have a quick recap?
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

That's beautiful!
I always thought the pieces on wood were under appreciated.