A quick note about getting Shepard to sign stuff

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
scud80
Disposable Assassin

A quick note about getting Shepard to sign stuff

Post by scud80 »

fyi, as a minor change to previous practices, shepard is no longer going to sign anything that gets put in front of him. a former printer was discovered to have been selling some unauthorized pieces out the "backdoor", so anything older which isn't signed but should be will likely need some sort of authentication before he'll be willing to sign it. any products going out from the studio now, which are intended to be signed, are signed at the time of production to avoid oversights (there *are* a few legitimate unsigned pieces around, which should be signed). i'm not really sure about "non-obey" all-unsigned things like vote or change, but he's going to respect the original intent of editions such as yes we did and the unsigned portion will remain that way. so, shop with care if you see older unsigned items particularly if they're unnumbered or marker AP, and leave your unsigned yes we did at home when you go to a signing.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

good call, so what about pieces that are authentic but never had an official signed edition?

like the first Juxtapoz print and the blue noisepop (a couple I own)
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
notudon
Giant

Re: A quick note about getting Shepard to sign stuff

Post by notudon »

scud80 wrote:fyi, as a minor change to previous practices, shepard is no longer going to sign anything that gets put in front of him. a former printer was discovered to have been selling some unauthorized pieces out the "backdoor", so anything older which isn't signed but should be will likely need some sort of authentication before he'll be willing to sign it. any products going out from the studio now, which are intended to be signed, are signed at the time of production to avoid oversights (there *are* a few legitimate unsigned pieces around, which should be signed). i'm not really sure about "non-obey" all-unsigned things like vote or change, but he's going to respect the original intent of editions such as yes we did and the unsigned portion will remain that way. so, shop with care if you see older unsigned items particularly if they're unnumbered or marker AP, and leave your unsigned yes we did at home when you go to a signing.

Wow. Good to know and probably for the best overall.
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tlh1005
Propaganda Engineer

Post by tlh1005 »

Thanks for the info! Too bad about the printer spoiling it for others, but as far as respecting editions like "Yes We Did", that sounds reasonable to me.
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=7136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

that's too bad. i have two of the WK prints from agnes b in NY that i was hoping he would sign at some point. bummer.
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

yeah like stickee said, I've been holding off from framing the first Juxtapoz offset poster in hopes one day I'd get a chance to meet up with dude and get him to sign it.
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
stickee
Giant

Re:

Post by stickee »

tlh1005 wrote:Thanks for the info! Too bad about the printer spoiling it for others, but as far as respecting editions like "Yes We Did", that sounds reasonable to me.

I think it goes deeper than "the printer" spoiling it for others, look at the Obama pasters when there is a massive difference in the price of a regular ol' paster and a signed by shep paster, I can see why he isnt game to sign all this stuff when a fair percentage isnt getting signed as a keepsake by fans but just to bump the price or to make it into a faux edition. this new policy has my blessing 100%

and for people with an investment point of view its is good to know that stuff will not be signed willy nilly

example: only 200 were signed but 1000 indentical prints were made so all flippers had to do was abuse Shep's good nature and ask him to sign one of the 1000 and its then put in with the edition of 200 I also dread to think how many Obama prints that were unsigned and have since been signed are now "A/P's" or numbered out of the original edition once an authentic signature was aquired
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
jecapaga
Swindler

Post by jecapaga »

Well this is a bummer in some small ways. I understand completely the need to not sign limited editions for those that bought the originals. But, for example, I wonder if he'd still sign my large progress sticker. That was sort of an informal edition. My VOTE print, none were signed so would he be willing?

I went to a recent signing and was a little shocked/disappointed that people looked like they had cleared out their garage and were having him sign like 20 items, carrying bags of OG stuff. That's a bit much and he seemed bugged by it but did it anyway. I suppose this is a natural progression.
tlh1005
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Re:

Post by tlh1005 »

stickee wrote:
I think it goes deeper than "the printer" spoiling it for others, look at the Obama pasters when there is a massive difference in the price of a regular ol' paster and a signed by shep paster, I can see why he isnt game to sign all this stuff when a fair percentage isnt getting signed as a keepsake by fans but just to bump the price or to make it into a faux edition. this new policy has my blessing 100%

and for people with an investment point of view its is good to know that stuff will not be signed willy nilly

example: only 200 were signed but 1000 indentical prints were made so all flippers had to do was abuse Shep's good nature and ask him to sign one of the 1000 and its then put in with the edition of 200 I also dread to think how many Obama prints that were unsigned and have since been signed are now "A/P's" or numbered out of the original edition once an authentic signature was aquired

I completely agree, this is what I had in mind by referencing "Yes We Did", I used it as an example but really any print that falls under a similar heading should be this way. I'm one of the people who paid the $500 premium for "Yes We Did". I'd hate to see those free or $90 prints get signed willy-nilly as you said. I bought it assuming Shep would not dilute the original signed editions buy signing those obtained for free or @ $90... not the way people are capitalizing on eBay these days. If I thought there was a chance he would sign the $90 Yes We Did edition I would have opted to buy that and spend the $410 on a trip to LA. Yeah, I'd end up spending the same amount, but I'd get a mini-vacation, a good experience, chance to meet Shep, and a couple more prints out of a trip to SNO. In contrast, I see nothing wrong with him signing something like the Radiohead Amnesiac Set.
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=7136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColdlyEmpathetic
Punk

Post by ColdlyEmpathetic »

I think that this makes sense, especially for all the Obama related stuff that is now worth more than gold.

I have a feeling that if I bring him my copy of the 'Revolutionary Ideas Don't End In TM' flyer from the first time I met him in 2000 he'll probably sign it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all the music stuff he's done tho..
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

'Bout time. He was signing everything. I even got him to co-sign on my home loan because he thought it was a show flyer. This is a good move.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
lmprnio
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by lmprnio »

cybernigel wrote:'Bout time. He was signing everything. I even got him to co-sign on my home loan because he thought it was a show flyer. This is a good move.

hahahahahahahahaha!
http://shtexclamation.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

i didn't think to ask specifically about all-unsigned editions (obey or not) so those may or may not be signed. somebody that knows can clarify, otherwise i'll ask him if/when i get a chance.
jecapaga
Swindler

Re:

Post by jecapaga »

scud80 wrote:i didn't think to ask specifically about all-unsigned editions (obey or not) so those may or may not be signed. somebody that knows can clarify, otherwise i'll ask him if/when i get a chance.

He is such an accommodating person. I was suprised when he officially denied certain people trying to get things singed that I wasn't aware of that were not his art. He straight up said, yeah, can't sign that I didn't create this. It was toy art. They also had bags of garbage to sign.
lmprnio
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lmprnio »

jecapaga wrote:
scud80 wrote:i didn't think to ask specifically about all-unsigned editions (obey or not) so those may or may not be signed. somebody that knows can clarify, otherwise i'll ask him if/when i get a chance.

He is such an accommodating person. I was suprised when he officially denied certain people trying to get things singed that I wasn't aware of that were not his art. He straight up said, yeah, can't sign that I didn't create this. It was toy art. They also had bags of garbage to sign.

wow!
people are ridiculous!
http://shtexclamation.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

People are super ridiculous. Plus, his arm/hand was probably starting to cramp. If I were him I would put a lock down on it as well.
JErikR
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

jecapaga wrote:

i wonder if i had a broken arm if he would sign my cast?

:)
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I think this is for the best!
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

I'm still hoping I can get VOTE 08 signed somewhere down the road. They were all unsigned, but they are numbered.
Submit. Rapture.
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Just bring your stuff and Shepard will tell you if he signs it or not.
I need to sign my stalin/lennin banner that iam keeping for 10 years now.
Come to Amsterdam dude.
jecapaga
Swindler

Post by jecapaga »

JErikR wrote:People are super ridiculous. Plus, his arm/hand was probably starting to cramp. If I were him I would put a lock down on it as well.

At this rate he'll be going in for Tommy John surgery here shortly. :)
password
Giant

Post by password »

Does Shep ever do sketches or doodles (not the ones in the toilet kind)? Anyone ever get one or seen a pic of one?
flyersfan13
Swindler

Post by flyersfan13 »

I hope this is true. Good to see action taken. Too many reproductions and gray area for people to completely rip someone off. I hope he signs my Change and Vote prints though. I'm gonna try.
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

So I can count NOT having my BLK MRKT/Deadly or Glasses signed. Bummer. :cry:
SFSTRAT
Swindler

Post by SFSTRAT »

I'm sure there are many people on here that are hoping for the same thing----VOTE 08' will he sign it? Well I'm going to find out sooner or later. BTW were was this information posted? Saw nothing on the OG site.