How many older prints actually exist in great condition?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
jfevre
Swindler

How many older prints actually exist in great condition?

Post by jfevre »

After looking through the threads on the consignment sale at Levine and seeing sales on ebay of prints in less then great condition it had me wondering what the general concensious was on how many older prints (years between 96-00) exist in great condition. I don't know if it is even possible to estimate this. But I thought it might be fun to see what other people thought on this.

To keep it simple assume a run of 100. So for example...

96: 25/100 = 25 out of a run of 100 exist in great conditon

97: 35/100 "

98: 55/100 "

99: 70/100 "

00: 75/100 "

I have no clue on this, the above is just an example.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

A little tough to do the formal math like you have, but for sure the farther back you go the less there are. It's important to mention that many prints were treated like "posters," tacked up, taped up, annoyed on, etc. I remember seeing a Mao taped up as a display piece for the other OG prints a gallery was selling prints in back in early 2001'ish.
JErikR
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Based on empirical observation I'd say the numbers a definitely lower than 25% up to about 2000, but as JErikR, stated the further you go the less there are. I don't think people really turned the corner from regarding his work as ephemeral posters to collectible art until then when the fine art pieces (early metals and woods) started coming out. I would guess that there is less than 5% of printed runs remaining in "great condition" up to 1998.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
halopigg
Giant

Re: How many older prints actually exist in great condition?

Post by halopigg »

searching old threads and I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this two years later... bump!
Who's got my old stickers?
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

It'd be impossible to get an accurate estimation, but all I know is Shep's archive has more than a few copies of each print from those days. Case in point:

I see prints ranging from 96 to 2003 all in seemingly spankin' new condition.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Can someone send me info on the Levine consignment prints?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

pennylesspig wrote:It'd be impossible to get an accurate estimation, but all I know is Shep's archive has more than a few copies of each print from those days. Case in point:
I see prints ranging from 96 to 2003 all in seemingly spankin' new condition.
I need to change my pants now.

Seriously, I would estimate that no more than 5-10% of any 96-98 print still exists. Exceptions to the rule, sure...though I can't name any. Of those prints, I would say 2-3% are mint. Though, that does not include Shep's personal stash. But, who knows. I'm happy just to have found some of my pre-2000 prints...in any shape.