AG/OK Soda question....

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
spagucci1
Giant

Re: AG/OK Soda question....

Post by spagucci1 »

After a little more inquiring on my end, the seller said he had to stop selling them because he could not prove they were authentic. SHADY!!!
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

ugh, yeah...looking more and more like these aren't legit...oh well, still dig the image, so not terribly upset about it.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

Seems like an odd print to bootleg...and for a couple of hundred bucks, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd bet there is a back-story to these prints.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

rotten wrote:oh well, still dig the image, so not terribly upset about it.
Bummer. I would be soda pressed.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Raggadrop wrote:Seems like an odd print to bootleg...and for a couple of hundred bucks, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd bet there is a back-story to these prints.
Worth it to you? No. Worth it to the guy who just made $500? Yes.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

spagucci1 wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:Seems like an odd print to bootleg...and for a couple of hundred bucks, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd bet there is a back-story to these prints.
So you didnt get to buy one? why be a rain cloud for everyone else?

Looking at the guy's feedback he sells secondhand posters of all descriptions and not once has he had feedback for being a bootlegger. He probably didnt sell one to you because of this sort of attitude.......

if I was bootlegging these why would I stop selling after only selling 5? or maybe it was people like yourself that he thought they were more hassle than he needed if everyone was going to pester him about the authenticity of them!

As someone has already pointed out its a bit of a weird choice of poster to bootleg and you would not do it on different types of paper to throw doubt into peoples mind, where as you would print them on whatever paper you had to hand or for free if you are a guy starting out like shep was at the time.

Not only that the pics on ebay look good and would be hard to copy this poster without an original to work from.

enough of my rant

good luck to the guys that scored I think you are gonna be ok

I would mail the seller and ask about packaging though as he has had bad feedback for using square tubes :shock:

Peas
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

stickee wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

Looking at the guy's feedback he sells secondhand posters of all descriptions and not once has he had feedback for being a bootlegger. He probably didnt sell one to you because of this sort of attitude.......

if I was bootlegging these why would I stop selling after only selling 5? or maybe it was people like yourself that he thought they were more hassle than he needed if everyone was going to pester him about the authenticity of them!

As someone has already pointed out its a bit of a weird choice of poster to bootleg and you would not do it on different types of paper to throw doubt into peoples mind, where as you would print them on whatever paper you had to hand or for free if you are a guy starting out like shep was at the time.

Not only that the pics on ebay look good and would be hard to copy this poster without an original to work from.

enough of my rant

I would mail the seller and ask about packaging though as he has had bad feedback for using square tubes :shock:

Peas
Just trying to look out for fellow board members. I hope it does end up working out for the better. Nuff said.
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

stickee wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

enough of my rant

Peas
I took his feedback into consideration. Like you said, not one claim of bootlegs, just packing problems on a couple albums. He said he ships in a tube w/ kraft paper, so crossing my fingers! :wink: Spagucci, your concern is appreciated! If they turn out to be bootlegs, at least I'm not the one that spent $300 for the 2 "textured" copies!
mint
Swindler

Post by mint »

Okay so I'll chime in on this one.
My friend is the buyer of the textured version on ebay. I guess he bought the 2 in the auction but was told by the seller that there was actually only one and to pay for it. We went to the VIVA show and I guess he didn't pay for it yet and the dude relisted it on Sunday morning.
I don't think these are bootleg at all... if this dude was doing that he would have sold my homie the 2 and probably offered him more.

I think spagucci turned the dude off with all the questions. I'll take some pics of the textured one when he gets it in.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

mint wrote: I'll take some pics of the textured one when he gets it in.
Nice, I'm really curious to see that version. Thx.
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

cybernigel wrote:
mint wrote: I'll take some pics of the textured one when he gets it in.
Nice, I'm really curious to see that version. Thx.
This is getting real interesting! Good luck to everyone else that bought one, besides myself. :) :D :mrgreen:
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

anyone get them yet? updates?
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

stickee wrote:anyone get them yet? updates?
Seller sent me a message saying it should arrive in the next couple days. I keep you guys updated.
mint
Swindler

Post by mint »

It's 100% a screenprint and it looks amazing. The backside is glossy and the printed side is flat.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

mint wrote:It's 100% a screenprint and it looks amazing. The backside is glossy and the printed side is flat.

what the what!
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

mint wrote:It's 100% a screenprint and it looks amazing. The backside is glossy and the printed side is flat.

Thin paper? What are the dimensions?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Whew...that's hott. I picked up the last one for sale and the seller dropped out with the 'i have to repair the tear rather than sell it damaged' routine. They actually sold ok soda in my high school... we were one of the test markets! This design was on the machine. Was looking forward to the print, but apparently it's headed back to the block as the seller had decided to relist! I think I have a line on a couple more though. We'll see what this one looks like when it goes back up!
on point like a decimalist?
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

whyhoo wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
danklax5 wrote:
HolyShep wrote:Seller sold two "textured" versions to the same buyer. I wish the seller gave more detailed descripitions. I'm not sure what "textured" means.
I'm guessing that by "textured" he means non-glossy.
Is non-glossy fake?

any insight robotoil?
No idea. Only Shep can answer this. It's possible that 2 different papers were used, That wouldn't surprise me. Shep would use what he had access to back then.
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

I received mine over the weekend...it's printed on the glossy side of the paper and the back side is flat (guess that's what he meant by textured). It's also definitely screen printed, and has a couple dings, but overall not bad at all. I'll try to get pics up over the weekend. I'm pretty happy with it, real or not.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

rotten wrote:I received mine over the weekend...it's printed on the glossy side of the paper and the back side is flat (guess that's what he meant by textured). It's also definitely screen printed, and has a couple dings, but overall not bad at all. I'll try to get pics up over the weekend. I'm pretty happy with it, real or not.
For the sake of all that is holy, what are the dimensions?
mint
Swindler

Post by mint »

Size is around 21'' x 22''
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

Finally got to check mine out. Packing was less than stellar. Print was bigger than the "kraft paper". One side of the tube had a piece of paper and some tape over it and the other side was wide open. Miraculously the print was in great shape! I looked up OK Soda on Wikipedia, and they mention Shepard's sabotage campaign under "Backlash".
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

Seller just relisted another copy of the gray version @ $350 BIN OBO :shock: Glad I got it for $99, but wish I coulda got the white variation he sold. Did any of the boardies get that one?
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

Post by libertarian »

HolyShep wrote:Seller just relisted another copy of the gray version @ $350 BIN OBO :shock: Glad I got it for $99, but wish I coulda got the white variation he sold. Did any of the boardies get that one?
Somebody hit the BIN. Whew that's a big price jump from $100 to $350.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

So what are the differences between the white and grey versions?