AG/OK Soda question....

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
spagucci1
Giant

Re: AG/OK Soda question....

Post by spagucci1 »

I know I'm probably bias because I own one of these prints. I'm interested to hear what others think.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

As much as these are cool historical pieces, sadly there are not worth that much. While I think it probably should be worth more, I would say probably $500 max for the AC. And I think other sets of the propaganda pieces have sold in the few hundred dollar range. The AC is especially cool, but not as rare as we thought considering there are how many on this board already at this point? 5? And it seems that time and time again it has been shown, that at least for the time being, the general public likes the new stuff better.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

djsp wrote:As much as these are cool historical pieces, sadly there are not worth that much. While I think it probably should be worth more, I would say probably $500 max for the AC. And I think other sets of the propaganda pieces have sold in the few hundred dollar range. The AC is especially cool, but not as rare as we thought considering there are how many on this board already at this point? 5? And it seems that time and time again it has been shown, that at least for the time being, the general public likes the new stuff better.

I was offered upwards of 1k for mine so I beg to differ.....
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

spagucci1 wrote:
djsp wrote:As much as these are cool historical pieces, sadly there are not worth that much. While I think it probably should be worth more, I would say probably $500 max for the AC. And I think other sets of the propaganda pieces have sold in the few hundred dollar range. The AC is especially cool, but not as rare as we thought considering there are how many on this board already at this point? 5? And it seems that time and time again it has been shown, that at least for the time being, the general public likes the new stuff better.

I was offered upwards of 1k for mine so I beg to differ.....
Fine. If one sells I will be proven wrong. All have sold sub $500 as far as I know, and that is my basis.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Gotta agree with djsp... There will always be that person who is willing to spend more than necessary on a piece, but one sold in august on the bay for 350... 500 would be a fair bet, but personally I would brace for less... a white one is listed as having been sold at 200 around the same time
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

The ones that were on eBay don't count. The seller didn't know what he had and undersold them by a lot! Remember, those one sold almost immediately as he listed them.
peachblossom
Punk

Post by peachblossom »

I had a handful of members contact me with a decent amount of info and opinions and I have also had a few members contact with offer's. A number of members did in fact refer to ebay sales for a reference in price but I had some healthy offer's over the $1000 range.

I'm not trying to go off topic as my original post was to gather more info than what was available to me as well as opinions on price but overall it has been on two ends of the spectrum with some saying $1,500 +. Taking into consideration condition and rareness while others make a strong point to reference ebay stating $500 or less and its unfair to say that this may be used as a persuasion tactic or if its actual opinion but we'll see.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

spagucci1 wrote:The ones that were on eBay don't count. The seller didn't know what he had and undersold them by a lot! Remember, those one sold almost immediately as he listed them.
I thought those were the 100 and 150 dollar ones... am pretty sure the 350 sale was one of those that was flipped a month later...
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

QKocur wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:The ones that were on eBay don't count. The seller didn't know what he had and undersold them by a lot! Remember, those one sold almost immediately as he listed them.
I thought those were the 100 and 150 dollar ones... am pretty sure the 350 sale was one of those that was flipped a month later...

Nope all the same seller. Seller realized that he was undercharging so the price went up for each one that he listed. He could have listed the last one for 1k and I'm sure it would have sold for that price.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

spagucci1 wrote:
QKocur wrote:

Nope all the same seller. Seller realized that he was undercharging so the price went up for each one that he listed.
Well then, when you do sell it peachblossom make sure you list the sale on eb to give us all some better record keeping :)
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

spagucci1 wrote:
QKocur wrote:

Nope all the same seller. Seller realized that he was undercharging so the price went up for each one that he listed. He could have listed the last one for 1k and I'm sure it would have sold for that price.
yes and i got douched when he said he wanted to repair the one i won and wouldn't sell it to me!
on point like a decimalist?
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

spagucci1 wrote:
QKocur wrote:

Nope all the same seller. Seller realized that he was undercharging so the price went up for each one that he listed.
It's kind of hearsay to take a seller's actions and assume that they realized anything. On the same token, if the seller did realize that $100 was low and upped an auction to $350, but you and others here believe the value to be over 1k, what did the seller truly realize, and why would that be much of a point as far as value is concerned?

These are important to the history of the OG campaign, and they are rare. I think that there are probably a number of old school collectors who would pony up over 1k for these, but I could also see a 10 day no reserve auction settle for well under $500 any day of the week. It takes a special buyer to feel good about these. Those who have them should enjoy and preserve them! Maybe it feels better if something is worth more, but if you have an understanding history of these prints with respect to the propaganda side as well as the fair use basis of Shep's campaign, and can aesthetically appreciate the ugliness of the poster(not a bad thing, Marilyn is ugly too), that is all you need to enjoy one of these bad boys! If you want to know what it's worth right now list it in for sale and see what offers you get.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I think it is worth mentioning that this is one of the ugliest prints the shepard fairey has ever made. The only appeal that I can see is the rarity. Is it even signed?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

mr Revs wrote:I think it is worth mentioning that this is one of the ugliest prints the shepard fairey has ever made.
+1, I'd pass (although foolishly it seems) at $150.
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

Reminds me of Perez Hilton.......

"I make my own luck."
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

danklax5 wrote:Reminds me of Perez Hilton.......[/img]
Or alfalfa...

peachblossom
Punk

Post by peachblossom »

wow the resemblance to Perez is uncanny!
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Really spag this is not anything personal, :) but honestly what does that mean? Then I guess they are worth nothing? Because we have no other record of sale. I have been offered a ton of money over they years that never materialized. I know it only takes one buyer, but if we are looking for an overall price that is all we have sales wise. I know you are proud of your acquisition, as you should be, but to say those only sold cheap because of the seller is ridiculous. They were snapped up because people liked them or thought they could get more money for them, the latter has yet to be proven.
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

Feel like this is stating the obvious, but perhaps not: the vast majority of art transactions are not publicly recorded. Collector to collector sales/trades, dealers and their clientele, gallery deals, museum acquisitions, etc - don't publicize figures.

Yes the recent ebay sales still "count" but agree that seller undervalued his lot, and there were other factors that stifled demand. He was strange, & there was buyer trepidation about authenticity since there were multiples of a print that rarely emerges. I reached out to the seller out of curiosity, and he did raise the prices when he realized the interest he had. I believe he even oversold his lot, because at least 2 buyers didn't rec'v items.

These prints weren't signed, they're unique in that they're actual pieces from a specific environmental and conceptual art piece. They were meant to be posted in Providence, Portland and Boston. Anyone who kept one from Shep wasn't doing their job of putting them up. They could have also been collected off the street. How value is ascribed or deducted based on those factors, is up to the collector.

I think holders of this item are correct that it'll appreciate (5 known prints hardly makes this not rare)! While it is fugly, it's in line with Shep's earlier work which was more conceptual, whereas today's work is more decorative (Mandala, etc). IMHO its legacy will be with museums and serious collections (due to historical value) rather than open market sales (it's an unusual commodity, no sig/edition). If current seller needs to cash out and has offers in excess of $1K, I would think they'd close that deal.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

In regards to the image being ugly, it's worth noting that this was a bite of an existing image (Dan Clowes commissioned marketing materials for Coca-Cola), and as analogtrash points out, adding Andre's face to an existing image rarely makes it prettier. Shep wasn't intending to get people to swoon at these early pieces. He was trying to see if his subversion could get the astute observer to do a double-take and chuckle or if the public was so relentlessly bombarded with advertising by the corporate hegemony that a parody would go unnoticed, or even accepted, amongst the authentic. This concept is what gave rise to Banksy's prank at the Tate and many other now-famous street art subversions of popular advertising imagery (KAWS, DFace, Trustocorp, etc.) To me, that paradoxical effect is appeal of pieces like this and much of Shep's earlier work which contained the Griny Andre face.

It's worth noting that prior to the recent low-priced ebay stash there were only 4 known copies of this print, one less-than-mint version of which Baurmann gallery, a long-time Shep aficionado, paid thousands for.

To each their own...As Shep's body of work continues to evolve, the chasm between collectors who appreciate his primordial satirical pieces to those that favor his later more-refined imagery, that is often longer on sincerity than it is on message, seems to expand.

In full disclosure, I've had a white AG Soda since '94 and got burned on one of the recent ebay sales for $300 but got my money back.
Last edited by cybernigel on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

^^ good points by the squirrel.
let's hope Shep wins that fair use battle before other infringement cases bubble to the surface ...
peachblossom
Punk

Post by peachblossom »

After a lot of back and forth and a large number of PM's and low ball offer's I ended up fetching a reasonable $1,900.00
Thank you all once again for the info and insight.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

peachblossom wrote:After a lot of back and forth and a large number of PM's and low ball offer's I ended up fetching a reasonable $1,900.00
Thank you all once again for the info and insight.
So you got $1900 for yours? If so, CONGRATS!
peachblossom
Punk

Post by peachblossom »

yes signed, sealed and delivered..wanted to wait until all was confirmed before posting. Thank you
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Will the lucky and rich forum member please stand up?
Check out my T-shirt quilts