AG/OK Soda question....

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
spagucci1
Giant

Re: AG/OK Soda question....

Post by spagucci1 »

I think the only difference is that the white version does not have the gray in the print. You can see the white version here; http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/AG_Soda_Variant
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

spagucci1 wrote:I think the only difference is that the white version does not have the gray in the print. You can see the white version here; http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/AG_Soda_Variant
Are they on the same paper? I know the whites are glossy and the grey is flat but are they both on thick paper?
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

Chiming in ..

Gray Version
http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/AG_Soda

White version
http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/AG_Soda_Variant

Quick note - the white version is from a snapshot I provided, sorry it's sorta crappy. I had it double matted and framed, and should clarify that the print ends where the first red matte border starts. The gray one just has the element in the background, otherwise it's the same design and size.

There were piles of these around Shep's studio. I'm 99% sure I remember there being 2 stocks: medium thickness glossy front paper used to put in the subway boxes, and matte paper made to use as pasters.

This print was of course heavily featured in my 1994 doc of Shep and I actually did email the seller on eBay to ask where he got them. He answered back that he wasn't in the documentary (duh!) and offered a paper print for $150.

Congrats to everyone who got one. Incredible find.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Thanks for the clarification Helen!
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

cybernigel wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:I think the only difference is that the white version does not have the gray in the print. You can see the white version here; http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/AG_Soda_Variant
Are they on the same paper? I know the whites are glossy and the grey is flat but are they both on thick paper?
Actually, the gray was glossy, and I think the white was non-glossy.
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

White is def glossy, b/c that's what I have, and it be glossy. I'm not sure if both were done in matte/gloss or if each design was relegated to a different stock. The glossy ones were hard to wheatpaste, that was the main reason for the two papers.
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

Ok, thanks Helen, I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure the gray version came in glossy and matte.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

HolyShep wrote:Ok, thanks Helen, I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure the gray version came in glossy and matte.
^ That's what I'm curious about. I know the whites were glossy as I have one just like Helen's that I got in '94. Do we have witnesses to both glossy and matte versions of the grey edition?
mint
Swindler

Post by mint »

cybernigel wrote:
HolyShep wrote:Ok, thanks Helen, I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure the gray version came in glossy and matte.
^ That's what I'm curious about. I know the whites were glossy as I have one just like Helen's that I got in '94. Do we have witnesses to both glossy and matte versions of the grey edition?

Yes they both exist.
The photos I posted are of the GREY printed on the FLAT/MATTE side of the paper.
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

mint wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

Yes they both exist.
The photos I posted are of the GREY printed on the FLAT/MATTE side of the paper.
..and the one I bought is on the glossy side.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Here is the picture of the one I got. Its screen printed on the flat side and the back is the glossy side. I'll take measurements of the print when I get home later today.

cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

^ That looks like it's in perfect condition. Does it smell like the ink is fresh by any chance?
Enjoy!

So HolyShep has a glossy grey and Spags and Mint have matte grey. Looks like all versions are accounted for - very cool.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Thanks Nigel! No, it does not smell like fresh ink. There is actually a little edge wear on one side but not too bad. The paper is thick, almost like cardboard stock.
Last edited by spagucci1 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

spagucci1 wrote:Thanks Nigel! No, it does not smell like fresh ink. There is actually a little edge wear on one side but not too bad. The paper is thick, almost like cardboard stock. Off to the framers for this badboy!
Nice score dude!
on point like a decimalist?
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

I'm glad everything worked out for all the boardies that scored one! Happy 420th post to me! :mrgreen:
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

spagucci1 wrote:Thanks Nigel! No, it does not smell like fresh ink. There is actually a little edge wear on one side but not too bad. The paper is thick, almost like cardboard stock.
thought you didnt get one and the seller was "SHADY" ?
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

stickee wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Thanks Nigel! No, it does not smell like fresh ink. There is actually a little edge wear on one side but not too bad. The paper is thick, almost like cardboard stock.
thought you didnt get one and the seller was "SHADY" ?
I did end up getting one. I figured what the heck and took the risk like the others did. I'm sure as hell happy that I did! We all got lucky that these turned out to be real. I'm also glad that we were able to pick up some rare Shepard Fairey Obey Giant history.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

nice one
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

Cybernigel needs our help. He didn't recieve his, and the seller said he sent it w/o tracking or confirmation #. Anyone have the seller's physical addy? I threw away my tube, so I couldn't help him out.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

I've tried to help out as much as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed everything works out for the better.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

I appreciate all the help my fellow forum members have provided me in trying to get this situation resolved. I finally did get my money back but the tragic news is that there is one less Grey AG Soda to be accounted for.

The seller said that he sent it regular mail with no tracking information despite my request to do so. It never arrived. He said that he would refund me my money but it would take a while for him to raise it. I waited 2 weeks and wrote him again but he stopped responding. Then I filed a Paypal dispute which froze his account and got his attention. He wrote that he would need another week to wait until he got paid to issue the refund. Next, he stated in the Paypal dispute dialogue that he did issue a refund but it never appeared. Both Paypal and I requested that he provide the email receipt for the refund but he didn't respond. I escalated it to a claim and filed a mail fraud charge with the Washington state Attorney General. Paypal issued my refund in full last week and closed the dispute.

The seller's name is Max Sundberg and his ebay handle is maximillian1970.
HolyShep
Propaganda Engineer

Post by HolyShep »

Nigel, glad to hear it was finally resloved, but sucks that you didn't get to get one. :?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

HolyShep wrote:Nigel, glad to hear it was finally resloved, but sucks that you didn't get to get one. :?
Yeah thanks, definitely a bummer about the lost print. I still have a mint white one that I got back in '94 but wanted a grey to complement it. After some frustration I'm back to where I was so c'est la vie.
peachblossom
Punk

Post by peachblossom »

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us

Just wanted to get an overall estimate on this piece..if possible? It is on a thick card stock but not too thick. It is silkscreen on glossy paper. It is in Near Mint condition I would say 8 out of 10 for an approximate condition report.

It has been well preserved in the original frame for about 7 year's, the frame does actually have UV museum glass and the piece has never been removed.

Looking for a ballpark number as I need to offload this for some quick cash and before I post it up I need an idea of its current value. New to the forum but not new to collecting. Any info is much appreciated.Image

second picture to show overall condition: no pin holes, rips or creases.. and it is not ad-headed to the backing, easily removable without any damage. Please forgive the strong flash against the glass / glossy paper.

This was picked up in a lot around 2000-2001 with a number of other older Obey pieces which I have also posted pictures of, there was more to the lot but I only got a chance to take a few additional photo's of some pieces. These have all been in my collection since acquired 9-10 years ago.

The set of four below are all Silk Screened on a thicker paper but not quit card stock and they measure 7x10 (three smaller) and 7x13 (larger)I believe these were given away at random when ordering a print direct via mail or through the catalog.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This pic shows part of a kit that came with pastes and stencils along with "directions". These are the two original 11 x 17 posters with the original direction sheet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also wanted to take a moment to thank all the members who have contacted me for their assistance and offering a large amount of information regarding both the piece and its current market value.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]
Last edited by peachblossom on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

PM'D
"I make my own luck."