Obey Numbering Question...

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Obey Numbering Question...

Post by alwaysalx »

I have been collecting Obey paper propaganda for quite a few years now and no matter how on top of the release I am, I always seem to receive a number extremely close to the end of the run. For a while it was always 250+, now it has been 400+.
p.s. I am in Canada

So, my questions are...

Do the majority of the prints go to Americans?
Do the prints get chosen numerically from the lowest to the highest with domestic getting sent out first?
Are the higher numbers usually delegated to the international custies?
What is the furthest away you have sent a print?
Don't really care what numbers I get, just happy to collect them. Just noticed a trend :)
Anyone?
Admonkey?
Adam?
Mary?
'the best things in life, are not things!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: Obey Numbering Question...

Post by illyanadmc »

just a note: admonkey, adam, and i don't work for obey. in case there was any confusion (since it sounds like you're posing these questions to obey, but you list us at the end).
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

i know you guys/gals don't work there but i do know y'all know waaay more than me and thought one of you three might have an idea...
weston
Posse

Post by weston »

Do the majority of the prints go to Americans?
yes

Do the prints get chosen numerically from the lowest to the highest with domestic getting sent out first?
No, they get shipped to who ever gets them first. When I was shipping, I would just do it random. But things have changed a lot since then.

No, everything is packed by order number.

What is the furthest away you have sent a print?
We have shipped to most countries by now, but russia and australia would be the farthest.

I have been wanting to do this forever so I spent this morning doing it, but I did an sql query to find out.

1. US
2. GB
3. CA
4. FR
5. DE
6. AU
7. IT
8. ES
9. CH
10. NL

Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

Africa is not down with Shep.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

South Africa? Whoa.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:Africa is not down with Shep.
Hard to figure why, what with only 36% of the people living on a dollar a day or less.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

Cookie Head wrote:
Optimus Rabbit wrote:Africa is not down with Shep.
Hard to figure why, what with only 36% of the people living on a dollar a day or less.
Um, maybe they just took the whole AP/Fair Use thing really seriously.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

weston wrote:Image
ty
:)
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

I'm surprised to see Saudi Arabia in there.
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

weston wrote:Do the prints get chosen numerically from the lowest to the highest with domestic getting sent out first?
No, they get shipped to who ever gets them first. When I was shipping, I would just do it random. But things have changed a lot since then.

No, everything is packed by order number.
I could be wrong but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. I have had prints where I had a relatively low order number but end up getting a high print number and my delivery nearly always comes after the majority of other forum members have already received theirs.
I had figured that the delayed delivery was due to the fact that my shipping addrss is a PO box, regardless of where my order number is for the release. It seemed to me that UPS orders are shipped first, followed by USPS.
ie, legislative influence, I had a relatively low order number but have yet to receive shipping though other forum members have already received their prints.
Last edited by Abrogate on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
weston
Posse

Post by weston »

Abrogate wrote:I had figured that the delayed delivery was due to the fact that my shipping addrss is a PO box, regardless of where my order number is for the release. It seemed to me that UPS orders are shipped first, followed by USPS. ie, legislative influence, I had a relatively low order number but have yet to receive shipping though other forum members have already received their prints.
shipped is different. when you post your orderid's here (not you specifically), they are usually at the halfway point and no where near the beginning. We do take some time to ship the USPS orders, as it takes some time to get them going. It also depends on where you live and how much the shipping guy likes you. Many Many factors.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

does the shipping guy like me?
miskone
Punk

Post by miskone »

they know whos flipping prints and whos not.... :arrow:
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

weston wrote:
Abrogate wrote:I had figured that the delayed delivery was due to the fact that my shipping addrss is a PO box, regardless of where my order number is for the release. It seemed to me that UPS orders are shipped first, followed by USPS. ie, legislative influence, I had a relatively low order number but have yet to receive shipping though other forum members have already received their prints.
shipped is different. when you post your orderid's here (not you specifically), they are usually at the halfway point and no where near the beginning. We do take some time to ship the USPS orders, as it takes some time to get them going. It also depends on where you live and how much the shipping guy likes you. Many Many factors.
after the previous two delivered orders I remain sceptical. despite the fact that I had to be among the earliest purchasers I received either an AP or a 400+ print. My order number has been more than a hundred below other forum members but I still received a very high number. I wish that Obey would occasionally handle the USPS orders in an earlier push (it has happened once or twice).
*this despite the recent photo from another thread of the USPS delivery hanging out of a mailbox on a busy street, thats what po boxes are for 8)
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

Abrogate wrote:
weston wrote:
after the previous two delivered orders I remain sceptical. despite the fact that I had to be among the earliest purchasers I received either an AP or a 400+ print. My order number has been more than a hundred below other forum members but I still received a very high number. I wish that Obey would occasionally handle the USPS orders in an earlier push (it has happened once or twice).
*this despite the recent photo from another thread of the USPS delivery hanging out of a mailbox on a busy street, thats what po boxes are for 8)
has anyone else experienced this as well? The last few prints I received have all been towards the end of the numbered run despite the fact that I am certainly one of the earlier purchasers.
weston
Posse

Post by weston »

has anyone else experienced this as well? The last few prints I received have all been towards the end of the numbered run despite the fact that I am certainly one of the earlier purchasers.
You think that you are one of the earlier purchasers, But this is not the case. When this post was around i looked up someones "early" numbers and it was towards the end.
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

admittedly it depends on how many APs are released but some recent examples are;
Corporate Violence, I ordered at drop (apprx 10:40 PT drop, my order was at 10:41, not sold out til apprx 11:30), order#6576* received print #d above 425.
Mourning in America, Ordered at drop (apprx 10:30 PT drop, my order was at 10:35, not sold out til apprx 11:40) order#6475* received a print above 425.
Legislative Influence, Ordered at drop (apprx 11:25 PT drop, my order was at 11:28, not sold out til apprx 11:45) order #6421* received an AP.

(this is not including my order of Last Mountain that somehow fell thru the cracks due to a system error. I did receive a print after I inquired!! :D )

Each of these prints took longer than usual to sell out and I purchased each at/very near the drop but received higher numbered prints. In two of the three instances I have an order number that is at least 100 below the highest order number listed by other forum members.

Not trying to push the subject needlessly :) but it seems to me that placement in order #s does not correspond to order in print #s.