How you got started?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
jdoz2
Punk

How you got started?

Post by jdoz2 »

Hey everyone! Im a design student and I have really liked shepard's work for awhile and Im thinking about starting a little collection. Is there any tips on how to go about getting my first one? I dont know a whole lot, but Im already frustrated with all the people buying prints for $30 off the obey site and jacking the prices to $75. Im just not really sure how to go about it. Thanks in advance!
MarshMan65
Propaganda Engineer

Re: How you got started?

Post by MarshMan65 »

Welcome to the forum!

Really its all about luck on drop days...They usually drop fairly early. What you have to do on drop days is go to obey's main site and refresh the page periodically. Im pretty new to poster collecting as well and that is my strategy and thankfully it has worked every time I go for an obey print..

Good luck and welcome!
"save a pretzel for the gas jets!"
jdoz2
Punk

Post by jdoz2 »

thanks! eveyone here seems very knowledgable and helpful, so im excited to be here. Thanks for the tip! I was debating getting that latest from the politics for sale set but it dixnt really catch my eye. ill jump on the next if get a chance tho!i
jdoz2
Punk

Post by jdoz2 »

Well I bought my first print. I picked up the immigration reform screen print for $80. I'm sure that's a little over priced, but I hope I didn't do too bad, right? I really like it so I guess that's all that matters.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

You're off to a great start. Now go back through the years/archives and pick a print that speaks to you and go "hunting." That's how many of us got started, going after your past favorites while also going after the current ones too.
JErikR
MarshMan65
Propaganda Engineer

Post by MarshMan65 »

JErikR wrote:You're off to a great start. Now go back through the years/archives and pick a print that speaks to you and go "hunting." That's how many of us got started, going after your past favorites while also going after the current ones too.
Thanks to JErikR I was able to get my favorite older OBEY print when I first started out...

Thanks Again!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

jdoz2 wrote:Well I bought my first print. I picked up the immigration reform screen print for $80. I'm sure that's a little over priced, but I hope I didn't do too bad, right? I really like it so I guess that's all that matters.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it framed up!
on point like a decimalist?
MarshMan65
Propaganda Engineer

Post by MarshMan65 »

whyhoo wrote:
jdoz2 wrote:Well I bought my first print. I picked up the immigration reform screen print for $80. I'm sure that's a little over priced, but I hope I didn't do too bad, right? I really like it so I guess that's all that matters.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it framed up!
+1!
jdoz2
Punk

Post by jdoz2 »

Sure thing! Would a cheapy poster frame work for the time being until I want to pay for a decent frame or just store it flat? I really like the mandala sets and the obey your god dollar, but i think that sucker is pricey lol. Maybe one day!
AGJB88
Swindler

Post by AGJB88 »

jdoz2 wrote:Sure thing! Would a cheapy poster frame work for the time being until I want to pay for a decent frame or just store it flat? I really like the mandala sets and the obey your god dollar, but i think that sucker is pricey lol. Maybe one day!
I'm not an expert on framing but just wanted to say that I am in the same situation. I framed a couple of prints in standard frames and from reading around now on the forum, have gotten a bit worried since its not UV glass. I want to enjoy my prints instead of just look at them in a portfolio so I just hope they will be ok as long as they are out of direct sunlight!

If one of the more senior members could enlighten us perhaps that would be great. I read somewhere that its ok as long as its not framed long-term. What would you consider long term?

Thanks!
MarshMan65
Propaganda Engineer

Post by MarshMan65 »

I definitely recommend uv free glass even if it is in a dim lighted area!