Hanging prints

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
bdavenport
punk

Hanging prints

Post by bdavenport »

I am close to hanging my framed revolutions prints. Anyone have any tips/tricks to hanging 30 or so prints so that they look right, even, etc? Really going for the look from the show, but with less prints. how do you get everything lined up?
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Hanging prints

Post by whyhoo »

i hear laser levels are pretty awesome!
on point like a decimalist?
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Good ol' chalk line..

Throw your nails in then wipe it off.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Another option: You can take kraft paper (or newspaper or pretty much any material that'll sit up straight when you put it up on the wall), cut however many pieces you have frames for to fit exactly the size of your frames... then do the rough math to see how wide each frame is, and make up a nice sized exact space between each frame, then tape them up on the wall, measure the back of the frame to see where the hanging hardware is, exactly... (if the hangers are in different spots, even slightly, you'll have to measure each frame individually), then transfer each spot onto the kraft paper with a writing utensil, put your nail through that spot on each piece of paper. They'll be absolutely perfect. I saw this method for a wall with a large grouping of different size and shaped artwork and it worked out amazing. With your same size/same shape frames, it might be easier to do the laser level or chalk line ideas...
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Gigantico wrote:Good ol' chalk line..

Hadn't thought about the chalk line. THought about laser level, but I never seem to come out on top with those
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

bdavenport wrote:

Hadn't thought about the chalk line. THought about laser level, but I never seem to come out on top with those

laser level plus measuring where the hangers are on your frame and you should golden. just transfer that difference from the laser line
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

jwoods103 wrote:
bdavenport wrote:

laser level plus measuring where the hangers are on your frame and you should golden. just transfer that difference from the laser line
I figured the chalk line would serve as a poor-man's laser level. Either seem like they would work.

Just measure twice (or thrice).

And nail once. :)
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

All of those are great tips on how to hang prints, and one thing for certain is... you're gonna have a lot of fun with your project.

My partner and I hung this show back in 07 using mylar sleeves, backing board, and self adhesive sawtooth hangers. I think what made it easy was using a jig for attaching the hangers so they all came out the same on every one.

Here is the wall I was working on. It took two of us about 3 hrs. to hang the whole show once they were sleeved up and hangers attached.

jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

Gigantico wrote:
jwoods103 wrote:
bdavenport wrote:

I figured the chalk line would serve as a poor-man's laser level. Either seem like they would work.

Just measure twice (or thrice).

And nail once. :)
my only thinking is that wouldnt the chalk line stain the paint?
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maden
Punk

Post by maden »

we'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around
piratesprayer
Posse

Post by piratesprayer »

i miss toyroom gallery. you guys should bring it back. sacramento needs you!!