Why do people keep their print #s secret?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
brinkmwj
Punk

Why do people keep their print #s secret?

Post by brinkmwj »

I've noticed, both here and on eBay, a tendency by some folks to keep their print #s secret. (For example, on the bay I often see people write 13x or 7x for a print number.)

Is there a reason to do that, other than to try to avoid punishment for flipping?
robotoil
Giant

Re: Why do people keep their print #s secret?

Post by robotoil »

brinkmwj wrote:I've noticed, both here and on eBay, a tendency by some folks to keep their print #s secret. (For example, on the bay I often see people write 13x or 7x for a print number.)

Is there a reason to do that, other than to try to avoid punishment for flipping?
Not that I can see.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

I do this, and I'm not flipping anything. I do it mainly because some (many?) buyers prefer to keep both themselves and the actual print they buy anonymous.

Once flipping window is gone (whatever time frame that is), there's no strong reason to keep print #s secret that I see, but if buyers prefer it that way I don't mind.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I think it is flipper's behavior that has extended into people who buy, hold, and sometimes sell OG prints. OBEY has the following to say in regards to flippers:

EBAY'ers and EBAY Flippers are not welcomed. If suspected and caught of Ebaying prints your order will be automatically refunded and you will no longer be permitted to purchase from OBEY GIANT.

Shepard and the rest of us at OBEY are overwhelmed by the stories we hear about how much people are paying for prints on EBAY the same day as they are released on our site. We are, like most people, are disheartened and disgusted with the situation. We are taking responsibility for the Ebay situation and have taken action against those who simply purchase prints to instantly auction on Ebay for the highest price. There is a difference between a print collector who purchases a print, archives it for months, years even, then decides to barter or sell a piece with the invention of getting more cherished artwork THAN a "collector" who purchases a print then has it posted on Ebay before the print is actually received in hand or the moment they receive it the mail. We do believe such action is wrong and unjust AND we stand by what we believe and are proud of our mission to keep OBEY accessible to all.

I think JAK99 hit the nail on the head when saying "once the flipping window is gone (whenever that is)" because period considered as flipping is unclear. Obey talks about achiving "for months" year even", does that mean 2 months or 11? It isn't a bright line rule like the 3 year rule for fine art. If selling a print that is under a year, people probably hide the number to avoid being cast with the lot who sell within two weeks.....some of whom I've bought from.
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

people will also flip your garbage on this forum on ebay if you give them a good deal
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Troof.
rhinomilk wrote:Image

people will also flip your garbage on this forum on ebay if you give them a good deal
Phởgg
Giant

Post by Phởgg »

thetroof55
http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... ADCAST.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;