Buying fine art and / or "grail" prints

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Buying fine art and / or "grail" prints

Post by superfly snuka »

I was curious to see people mindset on buying art. This may have been brought up before, so my apologies if it has already been discussed. I'd imagine some people are like myself and have to pick and choose what to buy due to finances (and our significant other :D ). Then overtime as "grail" pieces become available you gotta sell the stuff you have off to make that purchase. Personally, if I can find a piece that I can't live without so to speak, i'd sell off a majority, if not all of my collection to obtain the piece. Over the years my print collection went from about a 100 solid image prints and a couple of pieces on metal along with some other odds & ends, to now focus on HPM images and minimal prints. That being said, I wanted to see everyone's take on this...
vvk
Giant

Re: Buying fine art and / or "grail" prints

Post by vvk »

sounds like a pretty natural progression. I feel the same way. the pieces i have on my walls are all prints in one form or another. I have had some opportunities to buy some "fine art" pieces but have passed for the following reasons, none of the pieces i have been offered were ones I had to have ( grail pieces for me) . 2. out of my price league.

I understand people might wonder... why did you pass up a piece if you were offered it. worse case scenarios is you could of resold it for a little higher. well my thinking is this, If its a piece that Is not to my liking then im sure that there is someone out there who would love to be the first buyer without having to buy it on the secondary $$$ market.( kinda like a pay if forward ), Im not in a position where i can buy what ever because i have endless funds., I like most have to pick and choose and budget accordingly. I do have some $$ set aside awaiting for the grail oppourtunity to come up ( come on you guys... you must be ready to part with wbn or elephant by now) and would surely sell / trade most of my prints to help fund 1 sole pice if needed. I kinda feel bad for some of the prints i have in a portfolio case. I feel art should bee seen and hung, and unfortunetly i do have some prints that have not made it to the wall yet. I keep telling my self that maybe i will switch prints out to keep things a little fresh.

I dont see myself amasing a large collection of "fine art" but one can always hope right!
I do however hope to one day ( not sure when) thin out my current pieces and replace them with others...