Newbie questions

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
spagucci1
Giant

Re: Newbie questions

Post by spagucci1 »

bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Maybe they are fine art as in "D@MN!!!, That's some fine art. D@mn fine art, indeed"
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

bdavenport wrote:I'm sorry, Newbie, what was the question again?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks... i did burst out when i read this.... :D ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

fine art prints! if it's good enough for modern multiples, it's good enough for me!
on point like a decimalist?
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I agree with Comiconart and Easycraig on this issue. Prints are prints whether or not Shepard pulled the screens himself. Somebody burns/pulls the screens, just because Shep did it one day and somebody else did it a different day doesn't make it any different to me. But hey, that's just me.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

circa77 wrote:I agree with Comiconart and Easycraig on this issue. Prints are prints whether or not Shepard pulled the screens himself. Somebody burns/pulls the screens, just because Shep did it one day and somebody else did it a different day doesn't make it any different to me. But hey, that's just me.
agreed
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Did someone say they were looking for some fine-azz Prince?

circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

Gigantico wrote:Did someone say they were looking for some fine-azz Prince?

LO freaking L!
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

halopigg wrote:Does anyone think this argument will make our newbie friend switch hobbies?
+1 Can't believe this thread is so many pages long. Yawn.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~Malcolm X
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

Shonquan wrote:
circa77 wrote:I agree with Comiconart and Easycraig on this issue. Prints are prints whether or not Shepard pulled the screens himself. Somebody burns/pulls the screens, just because Shep did it one day and somebody else did it a different day doesn't make it any different to me. But hey, that's just me.
agreed
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

mose wrote:
Shonquan wrote:
agreed
add another in agreement here. Not fine art, highly desirable prints in some cases (sorry not AK for me). From what I've read here, the fine art term is painted with far too general of a brush stroke imo.

In the end it doesn't matter - this conversation is like trying to list exactly which prints are "grails" and which are not. Its a personal thing and the application of the term itself does nothing to the value of a piece. Desirability in all its forms does that.
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

gpt104 wrote:the fine art term is painted with far too general of a brush stroke imo.
Haha. Get it? Fine art is painted with a brush! Get it?
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
klam
Punk

Post by klam »

everyone please remain klam.
everyone remain klam.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Just for shits and giggles:

(Per google): Fine Art = Creative art, esp. visual art, whose products are to be appreciated primarily or solely for their imaginative, aesthetic, or intellectual content

Funny no mention of Shepard, interns, 18X24, pre 2000, screen printing.

Ya'll are more informed, educated, and up to date on these things. I'm probably missing something.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Comic- the debate kinda got a little heated earlerand I hope there are no hard feelings. When it all comes down to it, we are all art enthusiasts so lets enjoy Shep's art and collecting it.
penfold
Punk

Post by penfold »

easycraig wrote:
bdavenport wrote:I'm sorry, Newbie, what was the question again?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks... i did burst out when i read this.... :D ec
I think the thread stopped being about me a long time ago lol. It has taken on a life of it's own but has turned out to be pretty interesting. I am certainly a lot wiser!
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

spagucci1 wrote:Comic- the debate kinda got a little heated earlerand I hope there are no hard feelings. When it all comes down to it, we are all art enthusiasts so lets enjoy Shep's art and collecting it.
It's all good. It may have gotten a bit heated at times, but nonetheless one of the more interesting conversations in recent memory.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

comiconart wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Comic- the debate kinda got a little heated earlerand I hope there are no hard feelings. When it all comes down to it, we are all art enthusiasts so lets enjoy Shep's art and collecting it.
It's all good. It may have gotten a bit heated at times, but nonetheless one of the more interesting conversations in recent memory.

confession: i too am scared by spagucci's avatar 8)
on point like a decimalist?
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

quote : confession: i too am scared by spagucci's avatar

^^^ agreed! every time i see that THING i think of the lead singer for 'they might be giants'.... lol :lol:

-the statute got me HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc9siok ... re=related
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

agreed.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

At the end of the day, beyond one's own personal love of certain images and periods of work, the market will determine value.

Shep will be treated as all other artists are treated, meaning the market will assess his overall importance ... and then which images, which formats and which pieces are viewed as more "valuable."

It won't matter a lick if I or anyone else here thinks a particular piece or era is "fine art" or not.
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

easycraig wrote:...

quote : confession: i too am scared by spagucci's avatar

^^^ agreed! every time i see that THING i think of the lead singer for 'they might be giants'.... lol :lol:

-the statute got me HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc9siok ... re=related
Changed it for you guys that way you wont have nightmares. ;)
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

Change you can believe in!

Finally!

:wink:
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

For the hell of it and out of curiosity, I took this tortured issue outside for one expert opinion ... I asked a VP in Sotheby's Prints Dept the following: Are signed edition screenprints considered "fine art"? Her answer in full ...

"Yes. Andy Warhol utilized the screenprint technique on canvas (these are referred to as his 'paintings') and on paper (prints). Other important contemporary artists such as Josef Albers, Chuck Close, Keith Haring, Jasper Johns, Ellsworth Kelly and Roy Lichtenstein (to name a few) have worked in this medium as well. We consider screenprints done in small editions to be Fine Art. However it should be noted that the screenprint process is also used in making commercial edition posters in which case, it would be considered more ephemera than Fine Art."

So, for Sotheby's at least, prints on paper are viewed as "fine art" provided they are "small" editions and not created as "commercial edition posters."

Now, how small constitutes a small edition?