HPM / Fine Art Advice???

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
mattb
Punk

HPM / Fine Art Advice???

Post by mattb »

New to the forum and looking for a bit of advice from some more experienced heads as I've decided it's time to add something by Shep to my collection.

I've done a bit of research and from what I've seen, I'd like to get a HPM (assuming not too expensive) and I think I'm most into the classic images the best. Something along the lines of Rise Above Cop HPM, Rise Above FIst HPM, Obey 99 HPM, Zapatista Woman HPM would be great.

Two questions.....

What kind of money am I looking at for something like this?
Where should I start my search?

I've gone through auction records and struggling to find much of the kind of thing I'd like. Do these ever come up for auction? If not, any insight why not?

Questions, questions. Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt
easycraig
Giant

Re: HPM / Fine Art Advice???

Post by easycraig »

hi Matt...
welcome...

check this thread.....

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24636
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
mattb
Punk

Post by mattb »

Many thanks easycraig. So I'm not the only one on the lookout.....

Planning on keeping an eye out but I've been looking for a little while (although not that long) and haven't seen anything that fits the bill. Only bits I've seen on Ebay since I started looking have been 18" x 24" HPMs on wood or metal? Do the larger HPMs on paper ever come up on Ebay? I'll stick a wanted post on the forum now and see what that throws up.

Is it just that people simply don't sell them that often? Given how many different HPM's there are out there, I'd have thought more would turn up at auction?

Which gallery waiting lists are the ones to be on? Contacted a few and some don't even reply......
drevel50
Punk

Post by drevel50 »

You should also keep an eye on artnet. One on there now.

http://www.artnet.com/auctions/Pages/Lo ... 319&page=1
mattb
Punk

Post by mattb »

Many thanks. Hadn't considered the artnet auctions.
drevel50
Punk

Post by drevel50 »

Rise Above Fist HPM on Artnet now. Good luck mattb. Looks like the same one available at No Walls in the UK?

http://www.artnet.com/auctions/Pages/Lo ... ?f=fairey/
mattb
Punk

Post by mattb »

Really nice. Exactly the kind of thing I'd like. I'm liking the other two Shep's on Artnet as well.

Any thoughts on the estimates for these three lots?

How does bidding generally go with Artnet? Same as Ebay with everyone holding back until the last minute?
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

drevel50 wrote:Rise Above Fist HPM on Artnet now. Good luck mattb. Looks like the same one available at No Walls in the UK?

http://www.artnet.com/auctions/Pages/Lo ... ?f=fairey/
durn i wish i was rich!
als33
Punk

Post by als33 »

How does bidding generally go with Artnet? Same as Ebay with everyone holding back until the last minute?
I've never bid on anything on Artnet, but I have watched a bunch of auctions there. Compared to ebay, It seems like the starting prices are (usually much) higher, but generally there is less bidding in general and it's less furious than on ebay. Even when there are multiple bidders, the winning prices are not too much higher than the opening bids, so if the opening bid isn't too high for you, you have a decent shot at getting it for not too much more. For example, a couple weeks ago, there was a nice Stevie album cover HPM - bidding started at 1500 and ended at 2300 (100 over cost at source). 2 things to keep in mind - you have to add 15% commission to the winning bid, and Artnet does not seem as transparent in terms of buyers and sellers (e.g., no user ratings, no user id of sellers). Hope that helps you a bit.