A trade acquisition I am considering....

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
submethod
Giant

A trade acquisition I am considering....

Post by submethod »

So I have a friend who wants to trade me an original painted Obey piece about 20"x12". This piece was given to her a while back as a gift. Trouble is, she doesn't really like it and wants to trade it with me for a piece I have (non-Obey). There is no money being exchanged here, just a trade.

The Obey piece is an actual part of a bigger canvas that he gifted to her and is also signed.

So here are some general questions:

1) It is not numbered. Signed but not numbered. Is this the norm in Shepard's fine art pieces? Or are some signed anothers not?

2) It has no provenance. As with any gift, this was given to her. Without a doubt, it is one of Shep's latest pieces and there is no mark of it being a fake. I was there when the Obey people gave it to her. Still, without provenance, how does the value hold? Also, can it be proven to another person it is not fake?

Any advice would be helpful.
Solar
Giant

Re: A trade acquisition I am considering....

Post by Solar »

submethod wrote:So I have a friend who wants to trade me an original painted Obey piece about 20"x12". This piece was given to her a while back as a gift. Trouble is, she doesn't really like it and wants to trade it with me for a piece I have (non-Obey). There is no money being exchanged here, just a trade.

The Obey piece is an actual part of a bigger canvas that he gifted to her and is also signed.

So here are some general questions:

1) It is not numbered. Signed but not numbered. Is this the norm in Shepard's fine art pieces? Or are some signed anothers not?

2) It has no provenance. As with any gift, this was given to her. Without a doubt, it is one of Shep's latest pieces and there is no mark of it being a fake. I was there when the Obey people gave it to her. Still, without provenance, how does the value hold? Also, can it be proven to another person it is not fake?

Any advice would be helpful.
Shep's paintings (stencil collage on paper/canvas) aren't numbered, so that sounds correct. I wouldn't worry too much about provenance if this is someone you can trust.

What do you mean it's a part of a bigger canvas? Was it cut up? Does the image stand on its own?
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-its hard to say.... - i am kinda in the same situation.... gift from an artist (not shep) - pretty darn sure its legit... only down the road... will there be a problem if i choose to sell.... ??? - i think... as always.... i revert back to whether or not i like the piece.... (if you do, put it on your wall and enjoy it.... -in your case , you know its real... so its an easier choice... ) -my take at least...ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your advice. Very good show.

@Solar - I can tell you it is a collage with stencil work on it. It appears to have been part of a bigger collage and it was removed to make this one off piece. It looks like one of the pieces from the new MOCA show. So I am thinking he did a few one offs then used others for the show. Was it cut from an existing canvas? I doubt it.

@Easy - I don't have any plans to sell it because it has a story behind it shared between a few friends. But, it is a big world and things happen that maybe require me to sell it. Sooooo.....yes, I do LOVE the piece. It'll be my first Shep piece that is not an album cover.

Thanks for the tips guys.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Maybe reach out to obey for some paperwork on it?
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

Sounds like an interesting piece. Please share when or if you decide to pursue the trade.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Hmmmm. I have been trying to find out if trading a piece of fine art constitutes breaking the purchaser's agreement. I asked Kyle in the M.O.I. section but never got a reply....
Who's got my old stickers?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

halopigg wrote:Hmmmm. I have been trying to find out if trading a piece of fine art constitutes breaking the purchaser's agreement. I asked Kyle in the M.O.I. section but never got a reply....
That's a thought. But I think the important thing to look at, at least with this transaction, is that there are no contracts and no money has been used to acquire any of the Obey work.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Yeah I figured there wasn't a contract with something like this. Oh well, my quest(ion) continues.....
Who's got my old stickers?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I think my biggest concern is provenance. I mean I suppose i could ask the guys over at Obey for one. Just feel strange doing it for obvious reasons.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

A pic of the piece would allow a few of us to help give you a firm gut-check on it. But understand if that's out of the question.
JErikR
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

JErikR wrote:A pic of the piece would allow a few of us to help give you a firm gut-check on it. But understand if that's out of the question.
I don't think the questions is whether or not the piece is real. He wants provenance for a potential sale in the future, for example an auction house would require some provenance for sale.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

pennylesspig wrote:
JErikR wrote:A pic of the piece would allow a few of us to help give you a firm gut-check on it. But understand if that's out of the question.
I don't think the questions is whether or not the piece is real. He wants provenance for a potential sale in the future, for example an auction house would require some provenance for sale.
Ya...that pretty much sums it up. I honestly really like the piece and usually require some letter of authenticity with my collection. So if I am to trade my piece with provenance, I would like to have papers on the Obey piece as well.

I'll figure it out.