De-creasing a Poster

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Wheels
Posse

De-creasing a Poster

Post by Wheels »

I have a poster from a visit to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo that's of the museum itself. It's just a poster with no S/N, but true to Ghibli it's artistically beautiful and I'd like to frame it with my Moss Totoro print and a hand-painted cel from the movie. However, in its travels to show different friends who're Miyazaki freaks like me, the poster got a little bit smushed while it was rolled up.

How should I (or should I) try to get those creases out? They're not major, but they are noticeable from the front side. I was going to iron it on low from the back side and maybe with mild steam, but wanted to check here first. Anyone done this successfully before?

Thanks!
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~Malcolm X
summoner
Giant

Re: De-creasing a Poster

Post by summoner »

Depends on how much this one is worth to you. If you want to do it yourself you could try to iron it, NO STEAM, with kraft paper between it and the iron. If you want to have it professionally done, check out Poster Mountain. http://www.postermountain.com/ They can professionally restore it, for a decent price.

Again, it depends on how much this is worth to you...
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

pics? I don't know about the whole iron thing. I personally wouldn't ever do it, that's just me though.
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

+1 badjustin.

i think i remember reading a thread over at eb? that was describing different methods of removing creases from prints using an iron. i believe it was a bad joke though. i would not use and iron.

my suggestion is: print between 2 sheets of acid free backing, add books and time.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

I've ironed out creases in a print before. Not too high heat, and put a piece of kraft paper on top. Works fine.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

pennylesspig wrote:I've ironed out creases in a print before. Not too high heat, and put a piece of kraft paper on top. Works fine.
+1 Low heat and no steam is the key, with something very hard and flat under it. Glass table is great, again LOW HEAT. This is one thing that you CANNOT rush, worked great for me.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

If you ever iron a print, please be sure to mention that if you ever sell or trade (like a salvaged title for a car).

If you don't ever see yourself getting rid of the print and you just want to make the damage less noticeable on your wall... more power to you. Just be careful. I, personally, hate the idea of any heat getting too close to screenprinted inks or paint.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

Patillac13 wrote:If you ever iron a print, please be sure to mention that if you ever sell or trade (like a salvaged title for a car).

If you don't ever see yourself getting rid of the print and you just want to make the damage less noticeable on your wall... more power to you. Just be careful. I, personally, hate the idea of any heat getting too close to screenprinted inks or paint.
I understand that this may have been said to communicate the ethical action for others who'll read this thread, but just to be absolutely clear in my particular case, this is not a print. It's a gift shop poster. It's not signed, it's not numbered, and if it wasn't for the sentimental value that I have attached to where it came from, I'd do the easy thing and just have a good quality copy of it made at Kinkos. Heck, that's probably how mine came into the world.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and experiences. Sounds like a good chance to run an experiment. I'll take pics of it tonight, press it between craft paper and some Brittanicas for a week and take pics again. If it still needs it, I'll try the not-hot, not-steam, not-direct iron on hard surface trick and take pictures again. I'll be sure to post the pics along the way. Thanks again.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~Malcolm X
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I hope it turns out nice and flat for framing! Looking forward to seeing the updates.

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

The experiment commences! Here's the front and back of the poster:

And here's the piling on of books, and yes, the poster has craft paper under and on top of it. Who says there's no reason to keep around encyclopedias and old text books?!

Now we wait...
~Malcolm X
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

that will help, but it's not gonna get rid of those waves/creases! i will wait patiently for the ironing part of this experiment :D
on point like a decimalist?
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

whyhoo wrote:that will help, but it's not gonna get rid of those waves/creases! i will wait patiently for the ironing part of this experiment :D

and then????????
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

whyhoo wrote:that will help, but it's not gonna get rid of those waves/creases!
I don't know about that... there is a Physics book in that mix.
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

summoner wrote:
whyhoo wrote:that will help, but it's not gonna get rid of those waves/creases!
I don't know about that... there is a Physics book in that mix.
:lol: Bazinga! And probably the best use I've ever put that Physics book to!

I don't doubt that the books aren't going to get the creases out, but the only way to know how much good they'll do is to give them a try.
~Malcolm X
xmanxman
Swindler

Post by xmanxman »

Any updates to this? Kind of curious to see how the pile of books did.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

xmanxman wrote:Any updates to this? Kind of curious to see how the pile of books did.
I too am in need of closure. That is one mighty stack of books.
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

jjttdw wrote:
xmanxman wrote:Any updates to this? Kind of curious to see how the pile of books did.
I too am in need of closure. That is one mighty stack of books.
I'm curious too. I'll pull and post this weekend.
~Malcolm X
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Yes, Keep us updated! Must know!
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

The big reveal. I think this worked fairly well. Mind you, if this was anything s/n this wouldn't be good enough. But for a poster...

At top are two images of the back side. It was pressed facing down so this was before it was touched. Obviously still has some creases visible, but definitely an improvement. The next is the front side, to which my wife said "I'd frame that!" Running my hands across it, the next three images are the most severe creases that I could feel (at the location of my index finger). I can't see the first of those three even though I can feel it. The last two of those three pics are of the same crease, the first from straight ahead and the second from the side. Clearly more visible from the side. Knowing where we plan to hang this, it will be top-lit and not have any light coming from the side. Nonetheless, I'm going to press it for another month or two before getting it framed. As is, I'd be content with it in a frame so I don't plan to attempt ironing it. (Apologies to those who might have been looking forward to that.) And since its only value is sentimental and because it's already close to being flat, I'm also considering that it might be a good candidate for dry-mounting, but I need to do more reading before settling on that.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and enthusiasm!

~Malcolm X
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

That looks REALLY good! Congrats!

I have a feeling that the Physics book was the tipping point in this whole situation for you...
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

summoner wrote:That looks REALLY good! Congrats!

I have a feeling that the Physics book was the tipping point in this whole situation for you...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
~Malcolm X
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

Looks great. Now roll it back up and lets try the iron. You know, for science.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

i vaguely recall reading at one point that the drymounting process will remove any creases. but it certainly looks frameworthy now, looks like you got most of them out!
on point like a decimalist?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

That poster looks good, Wheels!
whyhoo wrote:i vaguely recall reading at one point that the drymounting process will remove any creases. but it certainly looks frameworthy now, looks like you got most of them out!
That's what the lady at the frame shop recommended for my BKLK piece...

Her: "Drymounting would work perfect for something like this!"
Me: *turn around and walk out*
Her: "..."
Me: *start car and drive away*