L.A

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
EFE
Giant

L.A

Post by EFE »

Hi,

Thinking about visit L.A. later this year for the first time. I wanna go to Compton and East LA to check it out ,but I hear so many story's. Can someone living in LA help me out?

Is this true?

Areas you should avoid are: Compton, some parts of Gardena, some parts of Carson, Pico-Union, some parts of Culver City, Inglewood, South Gate, Lynwood, some parts of Pasadena, Willowbrook, some parts of Pomona, Van Nuys(at night), Oakwood(neighbourhood in Venice Beach), East Long Beach

South LA (Watts, Crenshaw, Manchester Square, Athens, Baldwin Village, Florence, Chesterfield Square, Gramercy Park, King Estates, Jefferson Park, Rosewood, Vermont Square, Green Meadows etc)

East LA (Cypress Park, Highland Park, Glassell Park, Boyle Heights, some parts of Eagle Rock)

Avoid Downtown LA at night! Also i've seen a lot of crackheads,prostitutes in North Hollywood so don't walk there at night!

Safe areas are:West Los Angeles (The Westside) , Beverly Hills, Wilshire, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Sunset Hills, Mulholland Drive, Rodeo Drive, Westlake Village, Malibu, Agoura Hills, Echo Park,Harbor Area most of San Fernando Valley, Venice Beach,

thx already.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re: L.A

Post by Gigantico »

Not an expert on L.A. but the part I was in downtown was fun and not too sketchy.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Why Compton? There is not much there. I would suggest Silver Lake, Melrose Ave, Little Tokyo, and downtown fashion district.
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Well à buddy of mine wants to visit compton.
Shooting some pictures in front of THE compton sign.
Hè likes N.W.A. :) And i like Cypress Hill ,thats why east-LA . Just curious.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

EFE wrote:Well à buddy of mine wants to visit compton.
Shooting some pictures in front of THE compton sign.
Hè likes N.W.A. :) And i like Cypress Hill ,thats why east-LA . Just curious.
Ha ha! I was gonna ask if you wanted to go to Compton because of the rappers that have come from the area. Well, besides taking a picture in front of the sign, not really much else to do around there. Shep's office and gallery (Subliminal Projects) is in Echo Park.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

HA he sounds like Troy!
Who's got my old stickers?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

i went to weinerschnitzel in compton once! once...
on point like a decimalist?
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

whyhoo wrote:i went to weinerschnitzel in compton once! once...
I went to Weinerschnitzel once too, not in Compton, but I only went there once...
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

EFE wrote:Hi,

Thinking about visit L.A. later this year for the first time. I wanna go to Compton and East LA to check it out ,but I hear so many story's. Can someone living in LA help me out?

Is this true?

Areas you should avoid are: Compton, some parts of Gardena, some parts of Carson, Pico-Union, some parts of Culver City, Inglewood, South Gate, Lynwood, some parts of Pasadena, Willowbrook, some parts of Pomona, Van Nuys(at night), Oakwood(neighbourhood in Venice Beach), East Long Beach

South LA (Watts, Crenshaw, Manchester Square, Athens, Baldwin Village, Florence, Chesterfield Square, Gramercy Park, King Estates, Jefferson Park, Rosewood, Vermont Square, Green Meadows etc)

East LA (Cypress Park, Highland Park, Glassell Park, Boyle Heights, some parts of Eagle Rock)

Avoid Downtown LA at night! Also i've seen a lot of crackheads,prostitutes in North Hollywood so don't walk there at night!

Safe areas are:West Los Angeles (The Westside) , Beverly Hills, Wilshire, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Sunset Hills, Mulholland Drive, Rodeo Drive, Westlake Village, Malibu, Agoura Hills, Echo Park,Harbor Area most of San Fernando Valley, Venice Beach,

thx already.

hell.... i have lived here all my life and i haven't been to half those towns/citys... :lol: :lol: actually, I probably have.... but just driving through, for the most part....

having grown up in Eagle Rock / Highland Park / Pasadena - I would say they are all pretty nice now.... there are some rough spots... but its that way everywhere... you can find crackheads everywhere also... you just need to know where to look ! :lol: :lol:

i would say the worst spots on your list are Compton, Inglewood, Lynwood -but there are some real nice areas around those spots too...

I would say Downtown La is nice now.... its a bit crummy over on the east side... but I would not say its bad.
daytime everywhere is safer then night... always better to travel with a friend.... ( common sense stuff )

ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
outeredgestudio
Giant

Post by outeredgestudio »

My grandparents and my mom grew up in Compton. It got bad. When I'd visit growing up, my grandpa would tell me if I went across the street and played in the field, I would would not make it back :|
Got so bad my mom and her siblings had to extract them out of there and got them settled in riverside.

It was alway sketchy driving in, 70's and 80's when I saw it. I heard now all the bungalows that could not be found out as crack houses are all fixed up now and trendy around the parts close to other towns, otherwise, straight outta Compton :twisted:
David Choe prints http://outeredgestudio.com
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

The only time I was in downtown, now realizing it was probably in the fashion district, 8-12 cops surrounded this Circle-K, handguns and shotguns drawn. I had a couple drinks by then, so while hanging back a few, I watched to see what was happening. 10-15 minutes later, all of a sudden, all of the cops holstered up and left, no harm no foul no arrests. Weird times. Hit
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Thx for THE info. If you have suggestions/ must see , keep them coming.
Planning to go to Vegas with à Rental car or some.
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

EFE wrote:Thx for THE info. If you have suggestions/ must see , keep them coming.

I want to be in that vegas trip :lol:
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

I grew up in San Bernardino, so I can't really help with LA too much, but I do agree with easycraig, daytime and common sense will take you a long way. Coming from Holland, you will be at a disadvantage as it will be hard for you to distinguish a good area, from a bad, as I remember there were some areas of AMS that looked sketchy but were in reality were very affluent areas... Only thing I can suggest, ask a local where you are staying and see what they say. They will be able to give you the best advice.

If you are planning on taking some pics of graffiti and things like that, be careful and remember that creating the graffiti it is not a hobby or an artistic statement to them. They live and die by it, and someone taking pictures is suspicious. It is a shoot first, not give a frankfurter later mentality.

And with all that said, just have fun, if it is your first time to the states, or to LA, you will have a blast regardless!!
Lazy-8
Punk

Post by Lazy-8 »

Yup. Common sense and gut instincts. If it doesn't feel right better move on.

@summoner
I also grew up in the IE. Its good to see fans from SB represented.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

Lazy-8 wrote:Yup. Common sense and gut instincts. If it doesn't feel right better move on.

@summoner
I also grew up in the IE. Its good to see fans from SB represented.
Havent been back there is YEARS, did love the time when I was there though. My back yard was the mountain, and Sammy Hagar's house was about a mile up the road from me...
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

jwoods103 wrote:
EFE wrote:Thx for THE info. If you have suggestions/ must see , keep them coming.

I want to be in that vegas trip :lol:

i would get it on that too!!!
on point like a decimalist?
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

VEGAS BABY!

TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

Hit the Pie Hole located at 714 Traction, across from the Wurstkuche in the Arts District. Plenty of art to see and great sweet and savory pies to be consumed. My friends own this place and they are doing an amazing job. Perhaps you could start off at the Wurstkuche for a sausage and beer and then do dessert at the Pie Hole. The Arts District is a great place to walk around and explore. Plenty of art including a Peace Goddess that is not on anodized aluminum.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

TheOmethod wrote:Hit the Pie Hole located at 714 Traction, across from the Wurstkuche in the Arts District. Plenty of art to see and great sweet and savory pies to be consumed. My friends own this place and they are doing an amazing job. Perhaps you could start off at the Wurstkuche for a sausage and beer and then do dessert at the Pie Hole. The Arts District is a great place to walk around and explore. Plenty of art including a Peace Goddess that is not on anodized aluminum.
Wurstkuche is great, great stop for a sausage and LOTS of beer. Don't miss Dillion's Pup on Hollywood and Vine!!

My two "must stops" when I'm in LA.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

make sure you do the French Dip battle.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

halopigg wrote:make sure you do the French Dip battle.
I did that once in Paris... TOTALLY different meaning there... :twisted:
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

To au jus to not to au jus, that is the question.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

From my experience, there should be an abundance of au jus...

EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Thx guys, i Defo gonna check out these places.