obama hope question

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

obama hope question

Post by stuckeyc37 »

Was the signed and numbered the only version released on standard obey stock. The signed edition that was released after the election is on thinner stock correct? There are no versions out there that someone could just throw a number on and sell it off as part of the #'d edition is there? I am trying to put one back in my collection but am a little hesitant
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Re: obama hope question

Post by stuckeyc37 »

With all the wisdom here noone has an answer. Maybe If I ask another way. Are there any known bootlegs/counterfeits on standard obey stock?

Any help is appreciated. I want to be sure before plunking down serious cash on one. Thanks for your help
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I will start by saying I am no expert but here are my thoughts. I know I've seen eBay listings that contained pictures of fakes. Some of the ink colors were slightly off. The sellers used the pics of the fakes to show they had the real deal. I'm not sure if the fakes were on thick stock though.

Picking though ebeans, a high percentage of Hope prints are APs. I would not be surprised if more than a few were pasters that someone put in front of Shep to sign at an event then later were sold on eBay. That may be part of the reason for Shep not signing things a couple years back unless they were shown to be authentic.

I too am going to try to pick one of these up in the next year or so. I would be willing to pay a few hundred more if the seller has a receipt from Obey. If I buy off eBay I will look hard at the seller. If they don't have a receipt or a long history of selling prints I won't bid. If/when I get one I would bet it would be from a board member. In my short time on this board I've gotten some amazing things from fellow board members.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I would only buy that print from someone I know and trust. Super dicey history with fakes.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

FYI:

Adam and mary have a real nice progress small on their bigcartel site that I think is priced really reasonably.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

jjttdw wrote:I will start by saying I am no expert but here are my thoughts. I know I've seen eBay listings that contained pictures of fakes. Some of the ink colors were slightly off. The sellers used the pics of the fakes to show they had the real deal. I'm not sure if the fakes were on thick stock though.

Picking though ebeans, a high percentage of Hope prints are APs. I would not be surprised if more than a few were pasters that someone put in front of Shep to sign at an event then later were sold on eBay. That may be part of the reason for Shep not signing things a couple years back unless they were shown to be authentic.

I too am going to try to pick one of these up in the next year or so. I would be willing to pay a few hundred more if the seller has a receipt from Obey. If I buy off eBay I will look hard at the seller. If they don't have a receipt or a long history of selling prints I won't bid. If/when I get one I would bet it would be from a board member. In my short time on this board I've gotten some amazing things from fellow board members.
High percentage of APs? Well there are only 60 or so official ones. If you come across one without a reciept form Obey I'd stay away. The reason a lot of APs sold was that they were commanding a premium over the #'d edition.

To answer the original posters question, yes the #'d edition and APs are on the thick stock.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

I realize the original edition was on thick stock. Has anyone heard of bootlegs on thick stock.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

stuckeyc37 wrote:I realize the original edition was on thick stock. Has anyone heard of bootlegs on thick stock.
Yes. I'd advise to only buy one with an obey reciept.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

spagucci1 wrote:
jjttdw wrote:I will start by saying I am no expert but here are my thoughts. I know I've seen eBay listings that contained pictures of fakes. Some of the ink colors were slightly off. The sellers used the pics of the fakes to show they had the real deal. I'm not sure if the fakes were on thick stock though.

High percentage of APs? Well there are only 60 or so official ones. If you come across one without a reciept form Obey I'd stay away. The reason a lot of APs sold was that they were commanding a premium over the #'d edition.

To answer the original posters question, yes the #'d edition and APs are on the thick stock.
jjttdw wrote:I will start by saying I am no expert
I was basing my comment on the fact that 47 APs were in the sales history. It seemed a bit high to me. I didn't know the APs commanded a premium. Thanks for the info.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

Anybody in upstate ny have a known legit copy that would be willing to meet up please pm me. Also anyone recommend an appraiser familiar with sheps work on the east coast?
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Send it to obey. They will tell you
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

bdavenport wrote:Send it to obey. They will tell you
I enquired about that but was told they didnt do that. I have somebody in vt that will let me compare but was hoping someone in between syr and albany might help. a long time member here also thinks I am good, but would like to eliminate that little bit of doubt before paypal window closes.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

This thread can be closed or locked if mods want. The print I scored on the cheap (relatively) has been proven to be legit. oh Happy Day. Didnt think I was gonna be able to get this one back in the collection
Wheels
Posse

Post by Wheels »

Dropped off my Obama Progress Small to the framer on Saturday; swore I'd finally get it on the wall if he won but too superstitious to frame it in his first term. Mentioned it to my Dad and he asked me the very question of this thread's topic. I told him that it probably happens sometimes (Beatles fakes?) but I angle the print so that the light reflects off of it. When you do that, you can see the overlay of the different passes of the screen because the inks seem to have different reflecting properties, and subtle misalignments and imperfections of the screen process.

I know that these checks aren't the be-all, end-all of the question, but to duplicate these properties wouldn't someone need to go to the trouble of creating screens and repeating that process (unlikely but not impossible)? Wouldn't simply printing a copy of the image (on heavy or any other stock) reflect light uniformly across the image and probably have all of the perfection of a digital image?
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~Malcolm X