UNNUMBERED Stay Up Chaka?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
meandmycharms
Punk

UNNUMBERED Stay Up Chaka?

Post by meandmycharms »

Through changing of hands and such I came into a Stay Up Chaka print. It is signed but not numbered - it was my impression they were all supposed to be numbered... Any ideas, anyone?
summoner
Giant

Re: UNNUMBERED Stay Up Chaka?

Post by summoner »

Mine is numbered. That's all I can tell you.
unioneighteen
Swindler

Post by unioneighteen »

Omethod told me in the old days before instant sell outs, the prints were all numbered and then signed as sold. Sometimes they went out the back door without being signed.
Last edited by unioneighteen on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

unioneighteen wrote:Omethod told me in the old days before instant sell outs, the prints were all signed and then numbered as sold. Sometimes they went out the back door without being signed.
The one he's talking about is signed... It's not numbered
unioneighteen
Swindler

Post by unioneighteen »

fribhey wrote:
unioneighteen wrote:Omethod told me in the old days before instant sell outs, the prints were all signed and then numbered as sold. Sometimes they went out the back door without being signed.
The one he's talking about is signed... It's not numbered
Oh yeah, sorry it's been a long day. I've got nothin'.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

meandmycharms wrote:Through changing of hands and such I came into a Stay Up Chaka print. It is signed but not numbered - it was my impression they were all supposed to be numbered... Any ideas, anyone?
Now that I think about it, my Stay Up Chaka might not be numbered as well. I'd have to check the portfolios.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I have a Rocka Rolla print from 03 that is signed and not numbered. I have a few prints from that era and the signature on Rocka Rolla looks good.
meandmycharms
Punk

Post by meandmycharms »

So what would that mean in terms of value and appraisal? I'm giving this print as a gift for Christmas this year and I'd like to be able to give them as much info on it as I can...
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

IMO as the print is un-numbered I would consider the value pretty low. It being signed is a good thing, but there is a reason that it is not part of the numbered edition. You could always email Obey with pics and all the info you have on it and see what they say.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

summoner wrote:but there is a reason that it is not part of the numbered edition.
Actually, that's not true at all. Many a print have slip through the cracks that were missing numbers or signatures. The one I have was bought from obey and missing a number (it was either this or another from around the same time).
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:but there is a reason that it is not part of the numbered edition.
Many a print have slip through the cracks that were missing numbers or signatures.
Guess that is not considered a "reason"? :roll: Geeze Frib, what has been up with you lately?
meandmycharms
Punk

Post by meandmycharms »

Whats the best way to email/get in touch with Obey?
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

summoner wrote:IMO as the print is un-numbered I would consider the value pretty low. It being signed is a good thing, but there is a reason that it is not part of the numbered edition.

If given the option between an unsigned, numbered print versus one that is signed and not numbered, I would take the signed print every time. An older print not being numbered wouldn't hurt the value much for me as a buyer. Anyone have un-numbered prints from the 90s they want to sell me at a discount?
meandmycharms
Punk

Post by meandmycharms »

So the gift was finally unwrapped and I was able to look at it more closely. Where it would ordinarily be numbered it says AP? Artist's Print? Associated Press? Can anyone tell me more about what this is and what it means?
unioneighteen
Swindler

Post by unioneighteen »

AP = artists proof or printers proof. These are part of the same run as the numbered edition.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Having an AP rather than a numbered print does not affect the value of the print. In some instances it can make it more valuable.

If you are looking for a value, try this:

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/32704
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

unioneighteen wrote:AP = artists proof or printers proof. These are part of the same run as the numbered edition.
AP is artists proof. Printers proof is PP.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

AP is MUCH better than it being a "non-numbered" print!! Personally, I like AP prints and have a few Obey APs in my collection.

That was a hell of a present to give to someone!!