OG artwork without provenance?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
submethod
Giant

OG artwork without provenance?

Post by submethod »

Do Obey originals ( or art in general) without provenance still hold value in the same way a piece with papers do? I have some pieces directly from Shep from running into him in various graffiti yards here in LA ( late 90s early 2000s). We did some trades here and there. I am planning on framing a few and even sharing them on here.

BTW, there is no doubt these are originals aesthetically or stylistically.

Thoughts?
spagucci1
Giant

Re: OG artwork without provenance?

Post by spagucci1 »

I would think that without provenance they'd be worth a little less. How much less? I guess it would depend on the owner and potential buyer. I'm excited to see some of the goodies you picked up.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Thanks Spag - I kinda figured as much.

I know a few people who do have originals before the Obey craze and we have been offered a lot of money for them. Back then, it was all about trading and grabbing pieces from one another. Shep had his spot over on Wilshire and Western @ the old Wiltern Theater. We would see him on occasion there. Also, there were a few graff yards he would paste up in such as the Belmont Tunnel, SunFax and other spaces declared graffiti yards.

He stenciled a piece of metal for me once. I also have some other stuff that I might share when I feel a little less shy. Some of it signed, others are just stencil hits.

I did see some stencils on eBay go for quite a bit of money. I recall a Biggie stencil and also a Zappata. Both had back stories but no provenance.
chaserawr
Punk

Post by chaserawr »

as a buyer I dont have to have a piece of paper or a COA, especially if it was a gift or done through trades, you have emails, photos, pics of the piece with shep etc etc thats good for me. I don't want to buy stolen artwork.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

I would just add, if you're getting into gallery or auction sales - then the paper on pieces like this will matter more, of course. But backstories confirmed by OG, seems to work great too. Sounds like you have some cool pieces and some fun stories to share. Looking forward to seeing them later on when you post.
JErikR
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I probably could get provenance if I asked. It's just weird to ask i guess.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I don't think it would be too weird p. Shep gets the business side of fine art so should understand.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

I definitely want to see pics - sounds like you have some killer art!

Nobody has provenance for this early pre-hype stuff, so it's really up to the buyer to know if it looks right and where it's coming from. You're a great source with a legit story, so I don't think you'd run into any problems. Obviously, if you were selling via auction house or gallery consignment, the provenance would come in handy, but if you wanted to sell here or probably even on ebay, you'd be fine.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

they are probably worthless, but i am feeling generous so i will give you a big proof and a wind chases for the whole lot, site unseen. I will even cover shipping costs
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

bump, any pics?
dytsxe
Punk

Post by dytsxe »

I have the "WEAK" alternate graphics print without a signature. What are the chances i could get that signed? I also have the "Heavy Metal" GIANT frome the same time period 83/120 which isn't in the greatest condition with signature and an alternate graphics t-shirt. Thinking about letting them go.