Newb and my collection thus far...

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
taxman
Punk

Newb and my collection thus far...

Post by taxman »

Hey guys

Never knew there was a forum and so I figured I have to join since I enjoy Shep's work so much.

Some of you guys have some truly amazing pieces!!

The link below is an instagram video of my collection so far:
http://instagram.com/p/azppS8FPtE/#

I got into Obey around 2005 but then I was in school and had no cash to be spending on artwork. Only about a few years ago have I begun really collecting. One of my most recent buys and one of my overall favorite obey pieces is the 'War By Numbers' print.

Some prints I'd love to get in the near future are Obey Soup Can print series along with the Two Sides To Capitalism prints.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's collections and becoming a part of the community :)

-Greg
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Newb and my collection thus far...

Post by jjttdw »

Welcome to the board. I've learned quite a bit on this board and have a few things hanging on my wall that I would have never found anywhere else but here.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

This place will help you take your collection to the next level. Welcome to the board.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

Welcome to the board. Collecting is addicting!

Where did you get the OG bike? Looks pretty rad how you have it displayed.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
taxman
Punk

Post by taxman »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

And you are right, collecting is addictive. Especially since I bought my first home and have been using it as a reason to decorate ;)

DunDun wrote:Welcome to the board. Collecting is addicting! Where did you get the OG bike?

Thanks, the Fuji Obey bike was actually my second Obey purchase I got back in 2009 (My first purchase was his Supply & Demand book). I had really wanted one when they were first came out but there was no way I could afford the price tag back then while in college. A few years after it was released I saw a bike shop had three of them for sale brand new in box never built on eBay. Got a great deal on one that was in my size and have kept it in pristine condition ever since. I added a gold brake to the bicycle for the rare occassion that I ride it. (only take it out for fun special events, otherwise I ride my other bike)

My goal is to hopefully one day meet Shepard at a gallery show and have him sign the frame with a gold marker...

And my favorite piece so far in my collection...
DunDun wrote:Looks pretty rad how you have it displayed.
Thanks for the compliment on the bike shelf. You can find them here:
http://www.theknifeandsaw.com/
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

Very nice man!

I would say that you should put the brake in the front. Don't worry about flipping it, just stay over your seat and don't lurch forward(you have to be so far forward to flip it's pretty hard to do). Having a brake on the front wheel gives you way better stopping power. Just a tip so you don't crash that nice ride!
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
taxman
Punk

Post by taxman »

DunDun wrote:Very nice man!

I would say that you should put the brake in the front. Don't worry about flipping it, just stay over your seat and don't lurch forward(you have to be so far forward to flip it's pretty hard to do). Having a brake on the front wheel gives you way better stopping power. Just a tip so you don't crash that nice ride!
No mounting points on the Obey fixie's front fork. Honestly if I do ride it, it may be like once out of the year so I've contemplated taking it back off lol. I want it to stay nice and shiny so I barely ever ride it... more of a home decoration 8)
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

taxman wrote:
DunDun wrote:Very nice man!

No mounting points on the Obey fixie's front fork. Honestly if I do ride it, it may be like once out of the year so I've contemplated taking it back off lol. I want it to stay nice and shiny so I barely ever ride it... more of a home decoration 8)
That's weird there are no holes in fork, but I guess it wasn't meant to be ridden. I'd be so paranoid to ride that out anyways. Drivers seem like they're playing tag-a-biker for sport lately.
Lugubu
Punk

Post by Lugubu »

Good stuff. Loving the bike!