The Andre image ..legal question

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

The Andre image ..legal question

Post by Fattyramone »

From what i can gather Shep had to stop using the image of Andre due to a legal challenge from whoever owes and controls Andres estate now , then went for the stylised image instead to get around this ...correct?

My question being , given that Andre , outside of his now infamous Obey connection , is or was a pretty much long forgotten wrestling personality , why didnt/couldnt the controllers of his estate come to some finantial agreement with Shep to continue to use it?

Surely even 1% of something is better than 0% of nothing? ...it doesnt make sense to me?

Or , which maybe the case , is the legend of Andre (he means nothing to the rest of the world outside of America) still have some finantial appeal in the USA that his estate can manage without the income an Obey royalty could potentialy generate.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: The Andre image ..legal question

Post by conartstudio »

Andre the giant is and was far from a "long forgotten wrestling personality"
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Andre the Wrestler is still a very much remembered and loved performer/athlete in the wrestling pantheon. That being said, Shep was sued by Andre's family and Titan sports a long while back which forced him to rework the icon face.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

It might seem shortsighted now by Andre's family and Titan but back in the early 90s Shep was an unknown artist. The reworked image is now a rather strong trademark. Outside of producing a few prints with Andre's image I can't see an upside for Obey to ditch the icon.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

Right , thats cleared a few things up , so it was quite a while ago then when Andres estate did the objecting? ...long before Shep became the "name" he is now?...that makes sense.

I would agree the icon has now become too strong to ditch or co-exist along side the original image.

So "andre" , outside of real wrestling afficianardos is still well known? ...even leaving aside the fact that Obey has thrust him an extra push into the limelight.

Reason i ask is that we too had our wresting heros here in the UK ( Big Daddy , Giant Haystacks etc ) and whilst it true that they are still remembered by us of a certain age 50+ ...and obviously remembered by wresteling buffs , they are no way remembered by the younger generation , nor mentioned in the media very often now either....intresting.