Can a print still be "mint" if it has been framed?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
drew55
Punk

Can a print still be "mint" if it has been framed?

Post by drew55 »

Hi - I'm thinking of purchasing a pricey print from a seller in the UK. The print is currently framed and they will remove it before shipping. Even if conservation / archival methods are used (acid free mat, japanese hinges, etc.), I'm biased to thinking there will be some negative impact to the print's condition vs. one just stored in a sleeve.

What are people's experiences with print condition after removal from a frame (even if framed the right way)? Can it truly still be "mint" condition?

Thanks!
easycraig
Giant

Re: Can a print still be "mint" if it has been framed?

Post by easycraig »

i just had a similar talk with my framer last week ( also Shep's framer ) -anyways... i would not worry about it too much if

any decent framer framed the piece. What does that mean? Well... if there are paper hinges on the work, they should be

able to be removed, and even if they are not removed, they can be used over to re-mat the piece to a frame/backing board.

( she said they could be removed without damaging the print, but then... how are you going to display it... ?? - kinda a double sided sword answer... )

I think in the long run.... its better to have something framed and completely exposed to the light (all portions of the print ) (bearing in mind there is some sort of plexi or glass with some uv protection) versus something that has been matted. If its matted... it could over time, cause some fading (pending on glass/plexi and possible direct exposure to sunlight)

ideally.... keep your paperwork from your framers... so that down the line... (lets say you are putting your piece in an auction) - you can provide that information to the auction house.

Also... many framers attach a mounting backing tape (its all acid free) to the print/work... and then add hinges to that.
So... later... if you want to remount the piece... you pull the hinges off...(or even double sided tape) and re-attach the hinges/tape to the mounting backing tape.....

just make sure who ever framed (whatever you are consider purchasing) is some what competent.

good luck! ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

i just had a similar talk with my framer last week ( also Shep's framer ) -anyways... i would not worry about it too much if

any decent framer framed the piece. What does that mean? Well... if there are paper hinges on the work, they should be

able to be removed, and even if they are not removed, they can be used over to re-mat the piece to a frame/backing board.

( she said they could be removed without damaging the print, but then... how are you going to display it... ?? - kinda a double sided sword answer... )

I think in the long run.... its better to have something framed and completely exposed to the light (all portions of the print ) (bearing in mind there is some sort of plexi or glass with some uv protection) versus something that has been matted. If its matted... it could over time, cause some fading (pending on glass/plexi and possible direct exposure to sunlight)

ideally.... keep your paperwork from your framers... so that down the line... (lets say you are putting your piece in an auction) - you can provide that information to the auction house.

Also... many framers attach a mounting backing tape (its all acid free) to the print/work... and then add hinges to that.
So... later... if you want to remount the piece... you pull the hinges off...(or even double sided tape) and re-attach the hinges/tape to the mounting backing tape.....

just make sure who ever framed (whatever you are consider purchasing) is some what competent.

good luck! ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

drew55 wrote:Hi - I'm thinking of purchasing a pricey print from a seller in the UK. The print is currently framed and they will remove it before shipping. Even if conservation / archival methods are used (acid free mat, japanese hinges, etc.), I'm biased to thinking there will be some negative impact to the print's condition vs. one just stored in a sleeve.

What are people's experiences with print condition after removal from a frame (even if framed the right way)? Can it truly still be "mint" condition?

Thanks!
Most prints aren't mint after being removed from a frame. With that said, I've bought a couple prints that spent some time in a frame and if I hadn't been told they were previously framed I would never have known. I agree with EC that comes down to the competency of the framer and it is best to float a print so if there is any fading it is even on the front of the print.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

If it is already hinged, mounted, framed and you like the frame, you may be better off just buying it framed. It will cost more to purchase and ship, but it will save you the expense of getting it re-framed and any risk of removing it. If you do decide to go that route, ask the shipper to put "This Side Up" markings on the box as proper framing generally only attaches hinges at the top to prevent waviness as the paper expands and contracts.

Prints removed from a frame can still be mint, but there are many collectors who would no longer consider a print "pristine" once anything has been attached to it. As EC says, if you are going to have it removed and reframed then who cares because it's going to get hinged regardless (assuming a float mount).

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman