Restoring/Repairing Damaged Canvas

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
JErikR
Giant

Restoring/Repairing Damaged Canvas

Post by JErikR »

I have a question for folks, which I think might be more philosophical in nature. We know that for damaged artwork professional repairs are possible, taking a conservation approach. In the case of a new canvas that's damaged with a small puncture hole that occurred during shipping, will the repaired canvas be as good as the canvas had it not been damaged?

I believe conservation exists where it can be fully repaired, but "emotionally" so to speak, is it really the same? And would a second owner of the canvas, let's say, years down the road care that it had a repair that was fixed (even if it's completely restored)?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.
JErikR
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Restoring/Repairing Damaged Canvas

Post by jjttdw »

For me bow I felt about the piece would depend on a few things

- if I caused the damage it would always bother me. I caused a 1/8" tear in the margin a of a jaws print and I framed it and gave it away because it bothered me so much

- is the piece unique...if there was nothing else like the canvas it would not bother me as much versus say an Obey HPM on wood where I knew there were better versions out there

- how much do they like the image....if it something I love the damage would bother me less

Oddly, I think I'd be more ok as a second owner of such a piece than the original owner.