insurance value question. Marilyn Warhol Canvas

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

insurance value question. Marilyn Warhol Canvas

Post by mose »

It's that time again, doing the 'should-be-annual' re-setting of my insurance coverage for the art collection.

So, I ask, what should I set the lovely lady below at?(sincere ask, this is my only Shep piece left and I don't follow his market nearly as closely as I used to)

Shepard Fairey
'Marilyn Warhol'
60"x44", mixed media on canvas
unique 1/1
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: insurance value question. Marilyn Warhol Canvas

Post by jjttdw »

Those prints can go for 4k+. I'd insure it for at least $50k. That probably means you will need to get an appraisal to satisfy the underwriter.
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

jjttdw wrote:Those prints can go for 4k+. I'd insure it for at least $50k. That probably means you will need to get an appraisal to satisfy the underwriter.
Thanks for posting.

Fortunately, I go through Chubb, so no appraisal sub-$250k. I think it would be interesting trying to find a licensed appraiser for the urban art genre.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

#priceless
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

$50K is low for insurance value IMO. Id set it at $100k minimum. Not saying it hits that at auction but I wouldn't be surprised and you probably want to err on the side of caution.
shaneray
Swindler

Post by shaneray »

mose wrote:It's that time again, doing the 'should-be-annual' re-setting of my insurance coverage for the art collection.

So, I ask, what should I set the lovely lady below at?(sincere ask, this is my only Shep piece left and I don't follow his market nearly as closely as I used to)

Shepard Fairey
'Marilyn Warhol'
60"x44", mixed media on canvas
unique 1/1
:shock: :.o 8)
Ive got the print insured at $5k. Yea. Solar may be right as far as the insurance value. The scarcity and it being course 1/1, im pretty sure Ive read he wont make anymore of that image too. $100k cant go wrong, better to be safe than sorry. ...and I want one. :/
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

jjttdw wrote:Those prints can go for 4k+. I'd insure it for at least $50k. That probably means you will need to get an appraisal to satisfy the underwriter.
A unique mixed media on canvas of that size and image is worth well above $50k
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

I'll just jump in here and say what I always say, but with a nod to what's being discussed above. Yes, if this goes to auction today I guess it would hit the usual auction prices for comparable Obey canvases. But what I might actually do is compare this to the pricing around the large Miami Peace Goddess canvas from a few years back during the Jason era. Yes, that one is much larger, but this image is as/more desirable. So what does that piece go for? And how much did the mega-large Suit Canvas from Art in the Streets Show go for? That aside, this has to be one of the top three canvas' he's made, so yes, $100+ at least, but $250k "feels" more right. Knowing that down the road, it will blow those numbers out of the water. Sorry for the ramble. Hope the thoughts help.
JErikR
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

Hey guys. Been almost two years, so time to update my insurance valuations again.

What would you peg the Marilyn at?
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

mose wrote:Hey guys. Been almost two years, so time to update my insurance valuations again.

What would you peg the Marilyn at?

Why GO through all that headache of dealing with a insurance agent that does not a a fudicary best interest in mind.
just sell it to me and forget it all. problem solved. oh wait.. I dont have nearly enough money to buy something of this epicness.
Perhaps I could buy a 1/12th share?
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

at least $150K. and just out of curiosity do you have it framed? stored? that thing is amazing.
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

no1gdman wrote:at least $150K. and just out of curiosity do you have it framed? stored? that thing is amazing.
Thanks!

Not framed, need to get one of the wood ones some day, but up on the bedroom wall. It continues to freak out my young daughters every once-in-a-while.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

mose wrote:
no1gdman wrote:at least $150K. and just out of curiosity do you have it framed? stored? that thing is amazing.
Thanks!

Not framed, need to get one of the wood ones some day, but up on the bedroom wall. It continues to freak out my young daughters every once-in-a-while.
LOL that's pretty funny.