Crush Proof Tube Technique

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
cybernigel
Giant

Crush Proof Tube Technique

Post by cybernigel »

Just wanted to share one approach to shipping prints in a crush proof tube. I usually use PVC to ship spendy prints since I think it is stronger, but this last situation was a little unique as the buyer requested the original 4" diameter tube for provenance. I could have sent the print in a 4" PVC tube and then shipped the original empty tube separately, but didn't feel like doing that. I didn't want to ship the print in the original tube because it was just a Uline and those are susceptible to damage. I also didn't want to buy 10' of 5" PVC tube which was the smallest length they had at Home Depot. Plus, the PVC endcaps were about $8/each.

So I bought a 5" x 2' steel vent tube. That cost about $20 with endcaps. Then I wrapped the original 4" Uline tube in bubble wrap and placed it inside. I used strapping tape to hold the endcaps. Surprisingly, it was only about $13 to ship this half way across the country via Standard Mail from the Post Office. Of course the insurance for an expensive print added another $45. It weighed 5lbs 5oz.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Produ ... /203530685

Here are some pix:
Bubble wrapped Uline tube:

Steel end caps:

Ready to ship:
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
summoner
Giant

Re: Crush Proof Tube Technique

Post by summoner »

What is the rigidity of the steel tube? Would you be able to stand on it without it crushing like a PVC?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

summoner wrote:What is the rigidity of the steel tube? Would you be able to stand on it without it crushing like a PVC?
It's not as strong a PVC. I weigh 210lbs and would probably crush it if I stood in the middle. I'm hoping the double tube effect will be sufficient to protect it from the shipping apes.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Looks like a rocket launcher.
JErikR
theandrew13
Swindler

Post by theandrew13 »

or a pipebomb. i imagine the post office would have a field day with that.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Update: I don't recommend this technique. I received this email from the buyer.

"I wanted to let you know that I picked it up from the post office today. I was a little worried when I saw it on account of a gash in the side of the metal tube, but it was so well packed inside that metal tube that there was no damage. It looks great and I already dropped it off for professional framing! Thanks again."

Yes, those freakin' animals at the post office put a gash in a steel tube marked fragile. I've requested photos which I'll post when I get them just because I'm curious. Thank God the print was okay inside the inner Uline tube.

So, you can't beat PVC for safe shipping of rolled prints.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

I've always subscribed to the thinking that the more "obvious" we all are in trying to protect something the more likely some scrote somewhere is going to think "trying to be clever are you mate? ...well see if your fragile item can survive this ..WHACK"

That's all it takes is one spiteful jerk....
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Jessica Ravelo »

That's a crazy looking metal tube. About the pvc. I do plumbing and know there are different wall weight or thickness of pipe. Can get really heavy. I also think the post office will think it's a bomb or something crazy like that. I guess off more people did it, it would become normal. Not sure about paying for all the extra weight though.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Hmmm, I have found success putting tube in a 6x6 box with packing peanuts. Not sure if cheaper/easier, but less trips to Home Depot
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!