Test Print Variations

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this under, but I wanted to share a recent ebay purchase. It's a 2013 Holiday Gift test print, with a different color red than what was used in the final s/n print. It also has an untrimmed border that shows the alignment symbols and pantone color codes. Unfortunately, the print was "destroyed" (ripped in half), but I still think its a cool addition to my collection. Does anyone have any info on this/where it possibly came from? The seller was extremely vague on how he acquired it, I'm assuming it either leaked out from Shep's shop or the printers before the final colorway was approved, he also gave me the impression that he had more than one copy. Pics below, I took one comparing the red/orange color to the s/n version I have hanging on my wall.

Imag
Imag
Imag
Imag
Imag
Last edited by 07coupe on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
07coupe
Punk

It was stolen from the printer.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Oh snap! Time to lock down the deuce!

" measure twice ,cut once"

Should of cut a couple of times then put it in the sherdder on this one.
vvk
Giant

vvk wrote:Oh snap! Time to lock down the deuce!

" measure twice ,cut once"

Should of cut a couple of times then put it in the sherdder on this one.

I don't think Obey prints are printed at The Deuce. Just fine art and stuff for the streets.
spagucci1
Giant

conartstudio wrote:It was stolen from the printer.

Thinking more like the printer's trash. They certainly did their job by tearing it in two. I would consider buying one only to see how well a conservator could repair it.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Is the red and gold on the final and released version, the same color as the mandala holiday prints ?
Ilja
Posse

I dig the test red mush more than the deep red of the final print..
ll_coolray
Posse

Imag

Yup, the final red color matches the Mandalas, although the Mandalas use more of a metallic beige than the traditional gold used for the holiday prints.
07coupe
Punk

Maybe I'm color blind but they look line different reds. Mandalas look darker red.
spagucci1
Giant

spagucci1 wrote:Maybe I'm color blind but they look line different reds. Mandalas look darker red.

I agree, but it might be a trick from the contrast of the black bag ground i the mandalas ?
On the top image with the test print and the final print, the red looks much darker and like the mandalas
Ilja
Posse

OP, looks like someone is "calling you out" on eb:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... tart=11610

isn't that the dude that had an art show that completely ripped off shepard fairey's style and promoted it here and then had an epic melt when everyone called HIM out on it and then got banned? spoiler alert: it was.
on point like a decimalist?
whyhoo
itsame

whyhoo wrote:OP, looks like someone is "calling you out" on eb:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... tart=11610

isn't that the dude that had an art show that completely ripped off shepard fairey's style and promoted it here and then had an epic melt when everyone called HIM out on it and then got banned? spoiler alert: it was.

Ipath was called out for being wrong. The eBay seller used the same photos on their listing, apparently they have multiple garbage scraps and the last one sold for $6. Haha
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

ISO garbage scraps for $6
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

ISO garbage scraps for $5.99.
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

Return to Hit & Miss