Need some help/clarification

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Need some help/clarification

Post by no1gdman »

So let me start by saying I completely trust the seller I bought these from. I'm just doing this for piece of mind because I've seen others listed online. I tried to reach out to OBEY, but they can only offer me their opinions and nothing official. So I figured I would ask all of you instead.

I purchased 2 silkscreens on wood: Visual Pollution Gas Mask (1/2) - 2001 and Print and Destroy (2/2) - 2000

The seller said he purchased one from the Jonathan Levine Tin Man Alley Gallery (Visual Pollution) and the other directly from Shepard Fairey (Print and Destroy). I haven't seen any other of the Visual Pollution listed online, but there are two other Print and Destroy with the same 2/2 (which is concerning).

One is listed on this sites wiki: http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Prin ... oy_on_Wood and the other is for sale at Soak Your Buns: http://soakyourbuns.com/buy-art/shepard ... stroy.html

Here are images of the ones I purchased:

Any advice, feedback or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by no1gdman on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Need some help/clarification

Post by bigstrunso »

Your Print and Destroy is a little off compared to the one on soakyourbuns.

Your black banner on the bottom (that says think & create, etc.) is set to the right just a little bit. Probably just from the printing process? Something about the black on the press seems off just a bit as well.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

the print and destroy photo in the wiki matches up with the on on soak your buns, so those are the same piece, not two separate pieces. i've never heard of a knockoff/bootleg of the wood pieces and the look, build and sig on yours looks legit to me. shepard, or his studio, screwed up the numbering on a lot of things back in that time period. granted most were on larger print runs but it wouldn't shock me at all if those were miss numbered and both are marked as 2/2...

they both look legit to me and i don't think you have anything to worry about.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

bigstrunso wrote:Your Print and Destroy is a little off compared to the one on soakyourbuns.

Your black banner on the bottom (that says think & create, etc.) is set to the right just a little bit. Probably just from the printing process? Something about the black on the press seems off just a bit as well.
that's just lighting that makes the black look off. this print and destroy is a little off from the one on soak your buns because they are two different pieces from the edition, they are not the same piece.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

good news is the one in our wiki and the soak your buns appear to be the same piece.... so that is one 2/2. And you have a different 2/2 . I would not worry about it much... probably just human error. He is so prolific when it comes to creating work, it would be almost impossible to get everything right unless you had a couple folks monitoring / recording his work from the beginning.

I'm willing to give you $100 over your cost RIGHT NOW for your fake Print and Destroy on wood..... :lol: ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

easycraig wrote:good news is the one in our wiki and the soak your buns appear to be the same piece.... so that is one 2/2. And you have a different 2/2 . I would not worry about it much... probably just human error. He is so prolific when it comes to creating work, it would be almost impossible to get everything right unless you had a couple folks monitoring / recording his work from the beginning.

I'm willing to give you $100 over your cost RIGHT NOW for your fake Print and Destroy on wood..... :lol: ec
LOL
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

So the things I noticed about the one on the Wiki/Soak Your Buns are:

1: the wood used to make the frame on the back isn't the same
2: the wood backdrop where the signature is isn't flood coated cream
3: the signature is stacked and not side-by-side

Other than that everything else is pretty spot on.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

no1gdman wrote:So the things I noticed about the one on the Wiki/Soak Your Buns are:

The background (flood) is cream on the soak your burns piece.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

conartstudio wrote:
no1gdman wrote:So the things I noticed about the one on the Wiki/Soak Your Buns are:

The background (flood) is cream on the soak your burns piece.
Oh must be the lighting ... kind of looks like it's just the color of the wood to me. Now that yellowish cream.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Nice choices. I think both of them are legit.