Pricing on latest Obey artwork

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
submethod
Giant

Pricing on latest Obey artwork

Post by submethod »

Guys,

Where we at on pricing? I searched our threads and couldn't locate the latest prices. I have a couple of HPMs on wood and a few album covered. Anyone got gallery prices and ballpark on the secondary market? Also what if the artwork is an AP? Any thoughts on pricing for those? Thanks!!!
lumix
Swindler

Re: Pricing on latest Obey artwork

Post by lumix »

Be interested to know where prices are currently as would love to add an hpm on wood or stencil piece to my collection.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Hard to say since the market is so incredibly flooded. Images and edition sizes increase on a yearly basis and demand for originals is nowhere near 2007-2010 demand. I also don't think private sales are fetching gallery prices... so unless you bought years ago when prices were incredibly low or you're planning on holding onto the work long term, you are more than likely to lose money on it.
eComWizard
Punk

Post by eComWizard »

If anyone is selling a HPM on wood below cost PM me! :)
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

conartstudio wrote:Hard to say since the market is so incredibly flooded. Images and edition sizes increase on a yearly basis and demand for originals is nowhere near 2007-2010 demand. I also don't think private sales are fetching gallery prices... so unless you bought years ago when prices were incredibly low or you're planning on holding onto the work long term, you are more than likely to lose money on it.
It doesn't seem that long ago that only a couple fine art pieces would be on eBay at any given time. Now its a couple dozen. The album covers appear to be under the most downward price pressure.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Another factor is the image. The more popular the image the more likely it will command a higher value. Yes record covers have flooded the market but images like Molotov Hips or Peace Bomber will always command a higer value.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Related question....it seems that almost every print in the past couple years has a companion fine art piece with a run of 6-8. I only have a couple fine art pieces with runs of 2 + AP. 10 years ago, did all or almost all of the images released also have fine are counterparts? I'm thinking of things like Peace Woman, Arab Woman, Hawaii Skater....
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

spagucci1 wrote:Another factor is the image. The more popular the image the more likely it will command a higher value. Yes record covers have flooded the market but images like Molotov Hips or Peace Bomber will always command a higer value.
I sold my Peace Bomber for $5500 1.5 years ago. Ya that one on eBay for 11,000. That was mine. :roll:
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

"Related question....it seems that almost every print in the past couple years has a companion fine art piece with a run of 6-8. I only have a couple fine art pieces with runs of 2 + AP. 10 years ago, did all or almost all of the images released also have fine are counterparts? I'm thinking of things like Peace Woman, Arab Woman, Hawaii Skater...."

I would say Shep really stepped up to fine art in 2006-7. Images from 2007-2009 were the golden years of cheap (more affordable) fine art. Peace woman, Arab woman were in those years, so there is quite a bit of fine art surrounding them. Hawaii skater - not so much as it was an earlier image....

- i do have this though :D

A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Thanks for the info EC. I think that image deserves better placement than that chair. Ceiling??
Last edited by jjttdw on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

jjttdw wrote:Thanks for the info EC. Thank image deserves better placement than that chair. Ceiling??
remember. Ec ran out of room a while ago.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

the poor skater is actually behind a couple shelves of records right now..... - i can't even see him :(

-had to dig up an old photo to show him. :lol:
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I would say the album covers really helped Shep cover a lot of ground for the market. What were they like $600-$800 in '05? Then you get the 50 Shades of Black show and there were tons of those pieces flooding the market for $2200 i believe.

There is no scarcity of Obey anymore. So ya the quest for the best images is even higher given the glut of images out there.
I would argue album covers like Hendrix, Bomber, Molotov Hips, and any of Icons would be chases for collectors. Yes? No?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

submethod wrote:I would say the album covers really helped Shep cover a lot of ground for the market. What were they like $600-$800 in '05? Then you get the 50 Shades of Black show and there were tons of those pieces flooding the market for $2200 i believe.

There is no scarcity of Obey anymore. So ya the quest for the best images is even higher given the glut of images out there.
I would argue album covers like Hendrix, Bomber, Molotov Hips, and any of Icons would be chases for collectors. Yes? No?
I believe the album covers made their first appearance in 2006

2006: Rise Above @ Merry Karnowsky Gallery
They were an edition of 4
http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Rise ... y_Gallery)
http://www.thegiant.org/wiki/images/6/6 ... atalog.pdf

that PDF says the album covers were 20.5"x20.5" which doesn't make sense. The wiki has them listed at 12"x12".

---

2007: E PLURIBUS VENOM @ the Levine Gallery
They were each an edition of 6 and were priced at $900 each

2007: NINETEENEIGHTYFOURIA @ Stolen Space..
They were each an edition of 6 and were priced at £500 each

Here's the PDF catalog of the album covers from the 2007 Stolen Space show: http://thegiant.org/wiki/images/f/f7/Al ... rtwork.pdf

---

2008: The Duality of Humanity @ White Walls
12x12" album covers were an edition of 8 and cost $1100 each.
https://obeygiant.com/duality-of-humani ... xhibition/

---

2011: Revolutions: The Album Cover Art of Shepard Fairey @ Robert Berman's C2 Gallery
http://www.robertbermangallery.com/exhi ... ard-fairey

---

2012: Sound & Vision @ Stolen Space
12x12" album covers were an edition of 8 and prices at £1300 each:
https://obeygiant.com/sound-vision-x-sh ... -x-london/

---

2012: 50 Shades of Black @ Subliminal Projects
The album album covers at Subliminal were an edition of 8:
https://obeygiant.com/exhibitions/shepa ... -of-black/

---

Obey's website refers to 50 Shades of Black as the third installment of album covers.I'm assuming the Revolutions show was the first installment and if the Sound & Vision show is considered the second installment.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

I am guessing that the 20" album covers=framed size. Lets not forget that there are hand sprayed album covers prior to
the hpm versions.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

@easy - I was about to say, we own a sprayed Yul Brenner from the 2005 Dunny Show. Cost? $600.
Such good days.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

easycraig wrote:I am guessing that the 20" album covers=framed size. Lets not forget that there are hand sprayed album covers prior to
the hpm versions.
that makes sense...

i'm only talking about the HPM album covers since the market is a bit saturated with them. tons and tons of images all with editions ranging from 4 to 8, most have editions of 8...

there are a lot less hand sprayed covers around... are those even an edition? those are all originals right?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

conartstudio wrote:
easycraig wrote:I am guessing that the 20" album covers=framed size. Lets not forget that there are hand sprayed album covers prior to
the hpm versions.
that makes sense...

i'm only talking about the HPM album covers since the market is a bit saturated with them. tons and tons of images all with editions ranging from 4 to 8, most have editions of 8...

there are a lot less hand sprayed covers around... are those even an edition? those are all originals right?
If I am not mistaken they are one of ones. Here is the Westworld Piece aka Yul we have.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

that is sweet ^^^ - i have never seen it! :D
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

easycraig wrote:that is sweet ^^^ - i have never seen it! :D
russkov
Swindler

Post by russkov »

easycraig wrote:"Related question....it seems that almost every print in the past couple years has a companion fine art piece with a run of 6-8. I only have a couple fine art pieces with runs of 2 + AP. 10 years ago, did all or almost all of the images released also have fine are counterparts? I'm thinking of things like Peace Woman, Arab Woman, Hawaii Skater...."

I would say Shep really stepped up to fine art in 2006-7. Images from 2007-2009 were the golden years of cheap (more affordable) fine art. Peace woman, Arab woman were in those years, so there is quite a bit of fine art surrounding them. Hawaii skater - not so much as it was an earlier image....

- i do have this though :D

Double waow on this one!