kiss stormtroopers??????

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
first post here....this will seem a bit silly...but I am trying to find out about a print that I have...it is not OG.I will post an image later when I get home.

black and white print of 4 stormtrooper heads with Kiss makeup on.

anyone got any info on this...like I said I will post a picture later

many thanks

JG
User avatar
JG
Punk
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 6, 2007

Imag

here is the sig...sorry ,bit blurred

Imag
User avatar
JG
Punk
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 6, 2007

nice print

XXXX
User avatar
lepublicnme
Giant
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Jul 3, 2006
Location: Paris France

This looks like it might be it.

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html
User avatar
tbot
Swindler
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mar 22, 2007

tbot wrote:This looks like it might be it.

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html


I like how he has blood coming out of Gene's mouth on this one.
User avatar
PDC
Giant
 
Posts: 2580
Joined: Mar 16, 2007
Location: San Diego

tbot wrote:This looks like it might be it.

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html


Nice
User avatar
djsp
Giant
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Feb 28, 2007
Location: Sacto, Ca

PDC wrote:
tbot wrote:This looks like it might be it.

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html


I like how he has blood coming out of Gene's mouth on this one.


Man you're good. Nice find! 8)
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
User avatar
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Feb 5, 2007

Wonder where these can be purchased at...even a shirt would be sweet!!
User avatar
Johnster0228
Giant
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Feb 27, 2007

Johnster0228 wrote:...even a shirt would be sweet!!


Don't think it's the identical art (d*mn close) but it is the identical concept: http://www.domestic.ca/koopWHT.htm

Found link by way of this blog posting:
http://tcritic.com/archives/top-ten-star-wars-t-shirts/
User avatar
Wrath66
Punk
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jun 1, 2007
Location: Saint Louis

nice one tbot..thanks :P

JG
User avatar
JG
Punk
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 6, 2007

Nice find. I had a sneaking suspicion it was a Billions McMillions print.
User avatar
DunDun
Giant
 
Posts: 3496
Joined: Jan 23, 2007
Location: Milky Way

'Tis the work of a biter. I can't claim I invented Kiss, or Stormtroopers, but that's pretty clearly a scan of my graphic...

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html

I never made that print, and that dude was selling them on Ebay and I had to drop a few e-mails on him, sorta annoyed me.

When did you acquire that print? I'm curious if that dude has continued to make them on the sly.

I hate to sound like a whiney kid, but I try pretty hard to not tread on pop culture references if I already know about someone else doing it, I expect the same, and when dude just scans my work and claims it as his own... Weak.

At least draw it at another angle or something! Or maybe he can't draw? I don't know.

I just try to keep the people informed of the facts and they will decide.

.
"This government needs a tune-up" - Chuck D
Billions
Punk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: NYC

Bill---no way someone jacked your image, that's really lame.

btw, sweet website.
Last edited by Volcom99 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's my word.
User avatar
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
Location: So Cal

Billions wrote:'Tis the work of a biter. I can't claim I invented Kiss, or Stormtroopers, but that's pretty clearly a scan of my graphic...

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html

I never made that print, and that dude was selling them on Ebay and I had to drop a few e-mails on him, sorta annoyed me.

When did you acquire that print? I'm curious if that dude has continued to make them on the sly.

I hate to sound like a whiney kid, but I try pretty hard to not tread on pop culture references if I already know about someone else doing it, I expect the same, and when dude just scans my work and claims it as his own... Weak.

At least draw it at another angle or something! Or maybe he can't draw? I don't know.

I just try to keep the people informed of the facts and they will decide.

.


its obvious your image was executed better than the print, the blood red makes the world of difference, maybe two people had the same idea around the same time, I know I have ideas all the time and in telling them to someone else they are like I have seen that before, it was an original idea in my head but not in the scheme of things, 50 years ago it would take years for someone to realize their idea had already been created, now it takes minutes...

who knows,
maybe he had the idea first but you didnt know about it.
maybe you had the idea first but he didnt know about it.
User avatar
baxterpop
Giant
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mar 6, 2007

Billions wrote:'Tis the work of a biter. I can't claim I invented Kiss, or Stormtroopers, but that's pretty clearly a scan of my graphic...

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html

I never made that print, and that dude was selling them on Ebay and I had to drop a few e-mails on him, sorta annoyed me.

When did you acquire that print? I'm curious if that dude has continued to make them on the sly.

I hate to sound like a whiney kid, but I try pretty hard to not tread on pop culture references if I already know about someone else doing it, I expect the same, and when dude just scans my work and claims it as his own... Weak.

At least draw it at another angle or something! Or maybe he can't draw? I don't know.

I just try to keep the people informed of the facts and they will decide.

.


You should make that print yourself. I would buy it.
User avatar
djsp
Giant
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Feb 28, 2007
Location: Sacto, Ca

maybe he had the idea first but you didnt know about it.
maybe you had the idea first but he didnt know about it.



I definitely know this can be the case. It's happened to all of us. But that is a pleasant hypothetical. The truth is, I did that design nearly a decade ago, made shirts and hoodies, had it published in dozens of magazines and a high-profile book with other artists like Espo and Reas, all culminating in LucasArts calling to see if we were still making the shirt (which we were not; it was a limited item.)

Even if dude had the same idea at a similar time, by posting ebay auctions with titles like 'KISS STORMTROOPER ART KAWS FUTURA BAPE SUPREME' for that print or variations on it, I can see that he knows the people he's targeting.

I rarely jump to quick conclusions about these matters, mainly because of the high saturation of imagery like Star Wars and Kiss... It's possible that in the global collective, people can concieve ideas seperately. But after studying the print from photos on ebay (large photos, high detail) I came to the conclusion that his imagery was a scan of my work - the lineweights, the technique used in defining reflection and dimension, and the shape of the helmets and make-up placement is all too similar or exact to be some nice serendipity - it's a bite.

Believe me, I don't confuse myself with higher profile artists like Kaws or Futura... but if that guy has been paying enough attention to scan my art, he ought to know that someone is gonna notice he's treading on ground treaded on long ago. That's when you have your chance to differentiate yourself from a biter and a creator: I have a few ideas I didn't act on quickly enough, so they sit in my notebook because I saw someone else had already done it, done it better, or moved faster.

And that's the difference to me - in the world of the internet and global awareness of what others are doing, you need to decide if you're going to carry through on an idea you know is already done.


.
"This government needs a tune-up" - Chuck D
Billions
Punk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: NYC

Billions wrote:
maybe he had the idea first but you didnt know about it.
maybe you had the idea first but he didnt know about it.



I definitely know this can be the case. It's happened to all of us. But that is a pleasant hypothetical. The truth is, I did that design nearly a decade ago, made shirts and hoodies, had it published in dozens of magazines and a high-profile book with other artists like Espo and Reas, all culminating in LucasArts calling to see if we were still making the shirt (which we were not; it was a limited item.)

Even if dude had the same idea at a similar time, by posting ebay auctions with titles like 'KISS STORMTROOPER ART KAWS FUTURA BAPE SUPREME' for that print or variations on it, I can see that he knows the people he's targeting.

I rarely jump to quick conclusions about these matters, mainly because of the high saturation of imagery like Star Wars and Kiss... It's possible that in the global collective, people can concieve ideas seperately. But after studying the print from photos on ebay (large photos, high detail) I came to the conclusion that his imagery was a scan of my work - the lineweights, the technique used in defining reflection and dimension, and the shape of the helmets and make-up placement is all too similar or exact to be some nice serendipity - it's a bite.

Believe me, I don't confuse myself with higher profile artists like Kaws or Futura... but if that guy has been paying enough attention to scan my art, he ought to know that someone is gonna notice he's treading on ground treaded on long ago. That's when you have your chance to differentiate yourself from a biter and a creator: I have a few ideas I didn't act on quickly enough, so they sit in my notebook because I saw someone else had already done it, done it better, or moved faster.

And that's the difference to me - in the world of the internet and global awareness of what others are doing, you need to decide if you're going to carry through on an idea you know is already done.
.


so it looks like there is still a demand for this kiss storm trooper design?

anyone want to buy a shirt or a print? they should be done next week! PM ME!

JK :lol:
User avatar
baxterpop
Giant
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mar 6, 2007

baxterpop wrote:
Billions wrote:
maybe he had the idea first but you didnt know about it.
maybe you had the idea first but he didnt know about it.



I definitely know this can be the case. It's happened to all of us. But that is a pleasant hypothetical. The truth is, I did that design nearly a decade ago, made shirts and hoodies, had it published in dozens of magazines and a high-profile book with other artists like Espo and Reas, all culminating in LucasArts calling to see if we were still making the shirt (which we were not; it was a limited item.)

Even if dude had the same idea at a similar time, by posting ebay auctions with titles like 'KISS STORMTROOPER ART KAWS FUTURA BAPE SUPREME' for that print or variations on it, I can see that he knows the people he's targeting.

I rarely jump to quick conclusions about these matters, mainly because of the high saturation of imagery like Star Wars and Kiss... It's possible that in the global collective, people can concieve ideas seperately. But after studying the print from photos on ebay (large photos, high detail) I came to the conclusion that his imagery was a scan of my work - the lineweights, the technique used in defining reflection and dimension, and the shape of the helmets and make-up placement is all too similar or exact to be some nice serendipity - it's a bite.

Believe me, I don't confuse myself with higher profile artists like Kaws or Futura... but if that guy has been paying enough attention to scan my art, he ought to know that someone is gonna notice he's treading on ground treaded on long ago. That's when you have your chance to differentiate yourself from a biter and a creator: I have a few ideas I didn't act on quickly enough, so they sit in my notebook because I saw someone else had already done it, done it better, or moved faster.

And that's the difference to me - in the world of the internet and global awareness of what others are doing, you need to decide if you're going to carry through on an idea you know is already done.
.


so it looks like there is still a demand for this kiss storm trooper design?

anyone want to buy a shirt or a print? they should be done next week! PM ME!

JK :lol:


So we will not be seeng a release of a print or more t-shirts (officially) then? :D
User avatar
Johnster0228
Giant
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Feb 27, 2007

djsp wrote:
Billions wrote:'Tis the work of a biter. I can't claim I invented Kiss, or Stormtroopers, but that's pretty clearly a scan of my graphic...

http://www.billmcmullen.com/army.06.html

I never made that print, and that dude was selling them on Ebay and I had to drop a few e-mails on him, sorta annoyed me.

When did you acquire that print? I'm curious if that dude has continued to make them on the sly.

I hate to sound like a whiney kid, but I try pretty hard to not tread on pop culture references if I already know about someone else doing it, I expect the same, and when dude just scans my work and claims it as his own... Weak.

At least draw it at another angle or something! Or maybe he can't draw? I don't know.

I just try to keep the people informed of the facts and they will decide.

.

You should make that print yourself. I would buy it.


Seriously. I would buy it.
User avatar
djsp
Giant
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Feb 28, 2007
Location: Sacto, Ca

Johnster0228 wrote:
baxterpop wrote:
so it looks like there is still a demand for this kiss storm trooper design?

anyone want to buy a shirt or a print? they should be done next week! PM ME!

JK :lol:


So we will not be seeng a release of a print or more t-shirts (officially) then? :D


I'm possibly guessing no. If Lucas films contacted him, I'm imagening a conversation was had regarding copyrights to the image of a stormtrooper
User avatar
thentherewasone
Giant
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: May 8, 2007
Location: Slummerville

For the record, Billions had this design on a shirt nearly a decade ago at the gone-but-not-quite forgotten Swish NYC shop. Very sorry to see that someone ripped-off the ST design, next he'll be claiming Full Metal Jackin'...
jamadian
Punk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 2, 2010

jamadian wrote:For the record, Billions had this design on a shirt nearly a decade ago at the gone-but-not-quite forgotten Swish NYC shop. Very sorry to see that someone ripped-off the ST design, next he'll be claiming Full Metal Jackin'...

You are replying to a thread 2 1/2 years old :D
User avatar
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness
 
Posts: 10667
Joined: Jan 12, 2007

I'm restarting this old thread because I have the same question.

Does anyone know who did this print? I can see it was a Bill McMullin concept ripoff.
But does anyone have any other info on it?

From memory, I bought mine from ebay about 7+ years ago.

Imag
Imag
AstroBBoy
Punk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 16, 2011

I am guessing WRONGWROKS.
User avatar
nixon451
Giant
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Feb 21, 2006


Return to Hit & Miss

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest