DAMAGED PRINT -- what to do.

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

DAMAGED PRINT -- what to do.

Post by admonkey »

Ok.

So you've braved the crowds and the server slow-downs and the nerve-wracking browser re-direct to and from PayPal in order to purchase a Shepard Fairey/Obey Giant print.

Congratulations! Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy!

Then, POW! UPS decides they want to ship your precious, precious tube stored next to a three hundred pound gorilla that decides to use it as a toothpick… then a baseball bat… and then a skateboard.

The beautiful, limited edition print you slaved for minutes and seconds to win arrives on your doorstep dented, crushed, spindled AND mutilated.

What do you do now (apart, that is, from dabbing the tears from your eyes, clenching your fists and screaming obscenities at the injustice of it all)?

Well, good news: filing a claim with UPS and receiving a new print is incredibly easy.

FIRST: Call UPS at 1-800-PICK-UPS (1-800-742-5877). You’ll hit their automated voice system and it will ask you what you want to do. Say aloud, “damage claim,” or “crushed tube,” or “your incompetent, over-rated delivery service has resulted in the snuffing out of what little faith I had left in humanity” and your call will be automatically directed to the appropriate person.

Explain your problem to the nice person on the other end of the phone line. They’ll ask for the UPS tracking number (found on the white sheet of paper affixed to your tube) and the print’s approximate value. You’ll then be asked to leave the tube (with the print inside it – no, you don’t get to keep it) out for a UPS driver to pick up the next day from the address it was delivered to (i.e., leave it next to your front door). UPS will contact Obey Giant and then pick up your print.

NEXT: Send an email to orders@obeygiant.com explaining what happened (crushed tube, damaged print) and what you’ve done about it (called UPS, filed a claim). This information, combined with the receipt of the claim from UPS will result in Obey Giant sending a replacement print to your address, lickity-split.

That’s it. That’s all you have to do. A three minute phone call to UPS and sixty-seconds spent composing an email to Obey Giant is the sum total of time it takes to set everything right with the world. You are now free to celebrate in an appropriate manner.

Please note that if the print you’ve received is damaged but there is no noticeable damage to the tube itself, contact orders@obeygiant.com FIRST as the process is a little different and could require you taking photos of the damage, emailing them in, and then waiting on the receipt of a new shipping label from Obey Giant before shipping it back to them.

Good luck and Godspeed John Glenn.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

this is all peaches and cream, but how does OG have replacement prints to send out? it's been so long since i've received a damaged print, i don't even remember how it was handled!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Don't they keep part of the edition? Or they can use APs, too, right?

I hope I never have to use the info on this thread, but thanks Admonkey.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

illyanadmc wrote:this is all peaches and cream, but how does OG have replacement prints to send out? it's been so long since i've received a damaged print, i don't even remember how it was handled!

They keep a few in reserve for just this sort of thing.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

You new Johnny Cash avatar looks like Joe Pesci. Thanks for the return process though!
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

Thanks admonkey. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with the damaged claim process. Not sure if it has to do with living in a large metropolitan area with a huge volume of UPS packages or just the friendly NYC UPS attitude, but I get quite a bit of damaged tubes. City life is tough on these tubes.

As an FYI, in my area at least, I have not been asked to return the damaged tube/print to UPS. They do ask that I keep the print and all packing material for 5 days just in case they need to inspect it, but they never have.
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

I wish OG would upgrade to Yazoo Mills tubes.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

cybernigel wrote:I wish OG would upgrade to Yazoo Mills tubes.
James Blacklist
Swindler

Post by James Blacklist »

lb1469 wrote:

although I've never had a damaged print (only ever buying one direct from OG) i'd be more than happy to pay extra p&p or have the option to pay extra for the peice of mind in knowing my print was in a extra extra padded tube.
snowphun
Swindler

Post by snowphun »

I'd be happy with a switch to FedEx, or at least the option to use them. I avoid UPS like the plague these days. Brown sucks. :(
byrnexxx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by byrnexxx »

Does Obey actually do this? I'd love to get new copies of Big Brother 2, War By Numbers (both Red & Gold), and a couple others that were damaged or lost by UPS. Somehow I doubt that will ever happen. I've never received new prints, just refunds. I'd gladly still pay the $35 for new WBN's.
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

for what its worth, i have gotten a bunch of damaged prints, but have never gotten a replacement print in return. in all cases i have merely been given my money back...when emailing OG they have always told me that they have no replacement copies to send out.
cause i wreck when i tangle...
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

obeygiant sent me a replacement print for 11th Hour, but that isn't surprising.
byrnexxx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by byrnexxx »

I was just ranting.. but I was surprised to learn that for some they did give replacements.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

I believe it is a recent change that coincided with the increase in edition size to 350.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

admonkey wrote:I believe it is a recent change that coincided with the increase in edition size to 350.

good to hear about the change. now i dont have to fear the ever dreaded CRUSHED TUBE.
cause i wreck when i tangle...
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

They don't send your call through when you say, "Damaged Package" or anything related to a damaged package.

Say, "Agent" instead.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

PDC wrote:They don't send your call through when you say, "Damaged Package" or anything related to a damaged package.

Say, "Agent" instead.

or keep yelling "CUSTOMER SERVICE!"
Roady
Posse

Post by Roady »

just press 0 until they connect you...that's what i do
wonkysam
Punk

Post by wonkysam »

I don't tinkle around anymore, its just best to send it back to the printers with your address inside, they normally replace it.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

This is all well and good but for overseas buyers..is it a case of we just S**t out or is there a similar process?

Admonkey mentioned UPS which we get over here in UK but if its handled by USPS then we usually get some fella turn up in a plain white van delivering. Im pretty sure the shipping confirming email i recieved was via USPS not UPS. Sorry if i'm wrong.
Knowledge is power.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

Dizzyegg05 wrote:This is all well and good but for overseas buyers..is it a case of we just S**t out or is there a similar process?

Admonkey mentioned UPS which we get over here in UK but if its handled by USPS then we usually get some fella turn up in a plain white van delivering. Im pretty sure the shipping confirming email i recieved was via USPS not UPS. Sorry if i'm wrong.
Knowledge is power.

For overseas buyers, contact Jaspr first by emailing orders@obeygiant.com and she will provide you with the procedure. Obey Giant usually holds additional prints back in order to fill damaged orders, so even people half-way around the world should still have their problems taken care of and eventually receive a pristine replacement print.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

admonkey wrote:
Dizzyegg05 wrote:This is all well and good but for overseas buyers..is it a case of we just S**t out or is there a similar process?

Knowledge is power.

For overseas buyers, contact Jaspr first by emailing orders@obeygiant.com and she will provide you with the procedure. Obey Giant usually holds additional prints back in order to fill damaged orders, so even people half-way around the world should still have their problems taken care of and eventually receive a pristine replacement print.

Roger that. Thankyou . I had an email from her the other day.

P.S I love Bill Hicks. Best quote ever.
On The Road
Punk

Re: DAMAGED PRINT -- what to do.

Post by On The Road »

My House had a leak, and it dripped water onto onto one of my tubes of prints. It
is a relatively white print that now has brown stains from the water. What to do?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re: DAMAGED PRINT -- what to do.

Post by admonkey »

On The Road wrote:My House had a leak, and it dripped water onto onto one of my tubes of prints. It
is a relatively white print that now has brown stains from the water. What to do?

For a claim, contact the issuer of your home or renter's insurance policy. This is neither Obey Giant's nor UPS' fault, I'm afraid, so you'll be on your own for trying to get money for damages.

For a good art restorer, you might want to start a new thread here in the Hit & Miss forum.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.