DIY framing with easycraig

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re:

Post by Gigantico »

password wrote:I have a framed piece where the brown paper covering on the back where the framers sealed it ripped. Any advice on patching it?

It would be easier to just redo it. It's just double sided tape and paper, right?

EDIT: See page 45. :wink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SjjyO2 ... t#PPA45,M1

Good luck! :)
password
Giant

Post by password »

Please use the information in this thread to make sure this doesn't happen to you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAILE-SURFER-HORS ... 0308735957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fukum
Posse

Post by fukum »

ouch
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

My Mom just handed over a mat cutter she bought a while back and used once to ruin two mats... she quit that day. So, I just went to the frame shop, picked up 50 blades and a full sheet of mat board to use with a couple frames I had purchased a while back, the plan is all starting to come together ;)

I have quite a few prints that have been at the tippy top of my have-to-hold-off-until-I-can-do-it-legit framing list since I got them all. I found an awesome solid mat color that almost exactly matches Obey paper! I'll track down the brand and code soon.

Update: OH NO! I just went into my stash and got a different frame... now I'm stumped!

Hmmm... what would YOU do?! :D
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
easycraig
Giant

Re: DIY framing with easycraig

Post by easycraig »

- ^ no pics... coming up Pat.... Craig
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

easycraig wrote:- ^ no pics... coming up Pat.... Craig

lookin good from here pat! ec's snuggie is messing with his wifi :wink:
on point like a decimalist?
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

- i was wearing my bullet proof snuggie... and it definitely does funny things with the reception.... looks good now.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Oooooooh my! I just need to go get a piece of glass cut, mount it to an archival backing with corners and finish it off with some tabs from a point driver! MLK is about to finally make his way up on my wall!

I effed up on all my starting oe ending points... I'll have to dial it in and make some adjustments for the next mat I cut :D

Mat color is looking pretty shnazzy! Overall color in these cellphone photos are off a bit.

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Nice looking setup there, Pat!
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

More! More! :D

easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

watch the over-cut on those corners rookie!!! lol.... looks great Pat.... :D ec
jwoods103
Giant

Re:

Post by jwoods103 »

Patillac13 wrote:More! More! :D

what happened to the all 4 in one pat
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re: Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

easycraig wrote:watch the over-cut on those corners rookie!!! lol.... looks great Pat.... :D ec
I know! I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet, more practice will do me some good! Good news for me, I have a ton of prints and some empty wallspace, huh?!
jwoods103 wrote:what happened to the all 4 in one pat
That was someone else's idea that I just mocked up, I'm thinking they'd work out much better for me as separate frames. Plus, I decided to use up the spare mat board I had left over once I figured out that I could get all four of these set up with the scraps! I'd love to see someone frame all four together though!

boaty
Punk

Post by boaty »

As a newbie this thread has been invaluable. I went to two framers in Brooklyn, NY this week with a couple of Obey prints to frame (I've never framed anything in my life). They actually turned their noses up and thought Walmart or Target frames are better suited for these items. I couldn't believe it! I got the distinct impression they were young hipsters who were simply jealous of Shep!
Last edited by boaty on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

boaty wrote:As a newbie this thread has been invaluable. I went to two framers in Brooklyn, NY this week with a couple of Obey prints to frame (I've never framed anything in my life). They actually turned their noses up and thought Walmart or Target frames are better suited for these items. I couldn't believe it! I got the distinct impression they were young hipsters who were simply jealous of Shep!
Wow, I'd gladly not give them my business... very strange.

rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

Anyone use this?

The Mighty Mini. 7-5/8'' x 5-5/8'' x 6-1/2''. Makes 3/4" cuts
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

I never thought I would like a white frame but the ones for the traveling exhibit are quite nice. Anyone have an idea where I could get something pre-made in that size, either white or black it seemed to me to have an inch border making it 20 x 26. It seems to be a weird size.

All I have found so far is this...
http://www.amazon.com/20x26-Solid-custo ... D6ZX499WKB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

i just had these mylar sleeves arrive at my home..... i only have 3-4 prints left in my collection, and I try to get them up on my walls.... lately i have been contemplating taking one into the framers and have it hung in the same frames that shep uses for the fine art ( blk boarders, 1 inch white spacer with white backing board ) - only I am leery about them using hinges on the back of the print... - just because they are so thin.... ( i know the japanese hinges are fully reversible (bla bla bla) ) - but its one thing to use it on an hpm that is on thick heavy paper, versus a print, especially an old one... anyways, I found these mylar sleeves that fit the 18x24 prints, they are 100% conservatory, -they help shield UV also... so when I can save a little cash, I am going to have the framers mount a sleeve in frame and make the frame backing easy to open up.... -so i can simply trade my prints in and out..... if i really like the way it turns out.... then i will just have it done to all my 18x24 prints because I have so few. Only downside i see is the print is more shiny then normal.... but what the heck... - it actually makes the print look newer! Cost on the sleeves was around $6 each with shipping and you had to purchase 10 at a time. I laid the kiss print down on top a framed hpm so you could see what the finished product should look like. -If you have old prints, -and you want to get them up safely, I think its a pretty good alternative to physically attaching hangers on the back of the print, and or mounting with mat (might have some boarder discoloration over the years if in mucho light) ec

]
Lifted193
Swindler

Post by Lifted193 »

easycraig wrote:.

i just had these mylar sleeves arrive at my home..... i only have 3-4 prints left in my collection, and I try to get them up on my walls.... lately i have been contemplating taking one into the framers and have it hung in the same frames that shep uses for the fine art ( blk boarders, 1 inch white spacer with white backing board ) - only I am leery about them using hinges on the back of the print... - just because they are so thin.... ( i know the japanese hinges are fully reversible (bla bla bla) ) - but its one thing to use it on an hpm that is on thick heavy paper, versus a print, especially an old one... anyways, I found these mylar sleeves that fit the 18x24 prints, they are 100% conservatory, -they help shield UV also... so when I can save a little cash, I am going to have the framers mount a sleeve in frame and make the frame backing easy to open up.... -so i can simply trade my prints in and out..... if i really like the way it turns out.... then i will just have it done to all my 18x24 prints because I have so few. Only downside i see is the print is more shiny then normal.... but what the heck... - it actually makes the print look newer! Cost on the sleeves was around $6 each with shipping and you had to purchase 10 at a time. I laid the kiss print down on top a framed hpm so you could see what the finished product should look like. -If you have old prints, -and you want to get them up safely, I think its a pretty good alternative to physically attaching hangers on the back of the print, and or mounting with mat (might have some boarder discoloration over the years if in mucho light) ec

]
NICE! Where can we buy these mylar sleeves? Thanks EC for all the DIY info!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

they came from bags unlimited....

here:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-433-prints-poster.aspx
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Thats a great idea! I hate using hinges as well (may be irrational but I just can't bring myself to trust the reversible thing either...) and floating with mylar corners can cause waviness sometimes... I'll be looking into it, thanks EC!
kristen
Punk

Post by kristen »

easycraig wrote:they came from bags unlimited....

here:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-433-prints-poster.aspx

I have tried many times but link has not opened...have you recheck it..?
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Quick question EC, are the sleeves somewhat rigid or are they flappy?
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

the link appears to work for me.... if it does not for you, just do a search for bags unlimited.

QKocur , - the bag thickness is 4ml... -not really ridged,-so the print might be a little wavy against the backing board.... - I would just use a boat load of double stick acid free tape.... (the more you use, the less wavy it would be... i would imagine)

here are the specs on the mylar itself:

These 2 mil and 4 mil sleeves are made of Museum Grade Archival Polyester (Mylar), an inert material of the highest clarity.

Polyester will not discolor, damage, or adhere to items placed inside it. It is a sturdy film that will give extra support to fragile documents.
Use polyester (Mylar) to ensure your collectibles remain in excellent condition for years to come. Polyester is used worldwide in museums, libraries and archives. Our polyester material is approved by the Library of Congress for archival storage. We use DuPont inert Melinex® or a suitable equivalent.
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

EC is it possible to see more pics of the framed print edges. specifically the left side. is it floating, and is there something behind it in the frame? thanks man!