Your Eye Here! Obey Consume Repeat

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Your Eye Here! Obey Consume Repeat

Post by libertarian »

Hard to image spagucci1, but it does happen. And it's usually "hard to imagine", ya know?
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

libertarian wrote:Hard to image spagucci1, but it does happen. And it's usually "hard to imagine", ya know?
And it usually happens quickly.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

samuraiwriter wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Comparing Shep to Lance Armstrong? Ha ha! Shep would need to do something extreme to go "poof".
No Spag, though it did sound that way. I meant, like hubris. Lance being the new model for hubris in our culture. The AP controversy and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tI0S1_qBA

didn't exactly do his brand much good in the opinion of the public at large.
I don't think it hurt his brand as much as you think. Shep has become a household name along with Banksy.
theandrew13
Swindler

Post by theandrew13 »

libertarian wrote:The higher prices typically represent paying for use rights and/or additional signatures. Not all sell out fast or sell well in the aftermarket. The examples you cite have. There are some that haven't, a lot of the benefit stuff struggles (higher prices, larger runs) and the 'worst' (as far as sell-through goes) was Wind Chases the Sun. That thing sat for a long, long time at $65, second only to Big Proof iirc. Saying that is not a statement on the image or cause, just my observation of how the non-flipper market lacks liquidity when needed. The flippers stayed away, and there weren't enough true fans to carry the torch. Not for months. I want to say Drop In the Bucket sat for a while too, but maybe only overnight. The release thread for that will give you the answer. Chicken-squat Iggy hung around for a few weeks or even a month at $65 and 650 too. Just some examples, showing there are several not just one, all higher prices and some higher runs too.

Eventually Shep will increase prices and/or run size for baseline prints, but when he does I'm sure it will be after the market is begging for it to happen and not before.
https://www.dropinthebucket.org/product ... ed-poster/

drop in the bucket is still available, but not from obey. warning though, they didn't pack mine well at all.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

spagucci1 wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Comparing Shep to Lance Armstrong? Ha ha! Shep would need to do something extreme to go "poof".
No Spag, though it did sound that way. I meant, like hubris. Lance being the new model for hubris in our culture. The AP controversy and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tI0S1_qBA

didn't exactly do his brand much good in the opinion of the public at large.
I don't think it hurt his brand as much as you think. Shep has become a household name along with Banksy.
Six in ten Americans don't know who our Secretary of State is. So to say he is a household name may be a bit subjective. :wink:
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

samuraiwriter wrote:
As for *poof* ... well, he can ask Lance Armstrong about that. I could bring several artists who were once though very highly of at one point in time, only to go *poof* too, but why? You get my point and I've rambled long enough. :wink:
Is there one that went poof that was anywhere near the stature of Fairey?
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

jjttdw wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:
As for *poof* ... well, he can ask Lance Armstrong about that. I could bring several artists who were once though very highly of at one point in time, only to go *poof* too, but why? You get my point and I've rambled long enough. :wink:
This brings up an interesting subject too. Off the top of my head, Thomas Kinkade:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... inter.html

Different times, yes. Different subject/style, yes. Cautionary tale of hypocrisy, yes.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Comparing Fairey to Kinkade is laughable. When Fairey starts selling his artwork for pennies on the dollar then it might be a fair comparison.
samuraiwriter wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:
This brings up an interesting subject too. Off the top of my head, Thomas Kinkade:

Different times, yes. Different subject/style, yes. Cautionary tale of hypocrisy, yes.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Thomas Kinkade died. If by *poof* you mean died then your example would be a good one because every dies. Shepard will in fact go *poof* one day.

Here are some quotes from the article>>

In the weeks following Kinkade’s death, his estate tried to protect his brand: The gag order on his mistress and a statement attributing his death to natural causes were among the efforts they made to prevent the public from learning about the seedier side of Kinkade’s life. They didn’t work—but it didn’t matter. Kinkade’s fans have proven that they are willing to overlook his weaknesses because his paintings symbolize the values they aspire to.

Andrews McMeel Publishing says that sales of its Kinkade calendars rose 12 percent in 2012 and held that pace of sales last year. Hallmark has also seen double-digit growth, and Kinkade remains the top-selling painter of Disney images. The May 2014 issue of Global License! places Kinkade at #81 on its list of bestselling licensed brands, with $425 million in annual sales—ahead of CBS Consumer Products, National Geographic, and The Trump Organization.

The Kinkade brand and prices did not collapse after his drug/booze fueled death. Any other examples of poof??

spagucci1 wrote:Comparing Fairey to Kinkade is laughable. When Fairey starts selling his artwork for pennies on the dollar then it might be a fair comparison.
samuraiwriter wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:

Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

I'd say that due to his Obama image hanging in the White House, it's highly unlikely Fairey will ever go "poof"

He will however likely go blind before he dies. Which has been discussed before. If that were to happen now, I'm thinking his stuff would go through the roof.
IG - ATXjeweler
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Mira263 wrote:I'd say that due to his Obama image hanging in the White House, it's highly unlikely Fairey will ever go "poof"

He will however likely go blind before he dies. Which has been discussed before. If that were to happen now, I'm thinking his stuff would go through the roof.
One of my best friends from HS/college had type 1 diabetes and he went blind his sophomore year at college. It is one rough disease.
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Jessica Ravelo »

Anyone mention the amount of work he is doing on murals world wide on large scales. I look on Instagram and it seems Shep gets more and more followers. Just me I guess. Obey ain't going anywhere for awhile imo.
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

Before I joined here, I know, but what's the reasoning and cause as to why this place used to see more traffic and now doesn't? People moved on, gained other art interests? Or was this place never that poppin?
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

Let's see if I can get this back on track... values and longevity were not the point of this discussion.

To make this clear for all of you, I decided to take the side that Mr. Fairey is actually a greedy money grubbing profiteer, not a sophisticated artist who is intentionally leading his audience down the primrose path to teach them a lesson later on about over consuming. *edited for Spag

1) Kinkade used an image of strong religious beliefs to lure in religious buyers.
1a) Shep uses an image of anti-establishment and rebelliousness to lure in young, anti-establishment type buyers.

2) Kinkade was actually the opposite of a religious, god-fearing man. He was a bastard drunk/druggie, mean spirited and selfish.
2a) Mr. Fairey is the opposite of anti-establishment. He is the definition of establishment. By supporting the democratic party, directly and indirectly, he helped Mr. Obama raise 750 million dollars for his campaign. He also used his phony "rebel" image to help sell the young voter on Obama with his plagiarized Hope poster.

3) Kinkade was actually not what he seemed and was manipulating people in terms of the potential value of his over-produced, repetitive paintings and prints. He used false religious beliefs to lure in buyers looking to invest their $ in his growing empire of shops, etc.
3a) Mr. Fairey is manipulating his buyers as well; hooking them with "low cost," over-produced, repetitive paintings, and prints that are going to be great investments for the future. (Mr. Fairey, is very aware of his secondary market and may have more to do with it than you think.) Again, this appeals to the young, naïve buyers in search of a quick buck.

Done for now, I hope you see the comparison is a good one, at least from that particular perspective. There have been obvious signs that Mr. Fairey is not quite what we think he is. (The TMZ video, the AP plagiarism, his affiliation with a certain shady gallerist not to be named here, and bum charities like BNE.) There were also clues that Kinkade was not what he claimed to be, with DUI's, crazy stories, etc.

Kinkade is dead, we got the story and people were manipulated like hell.
Mr. Fairey is alive, so we don't know how his story ends yet. But there are signs man... signs ;)
Last edited by samuraiwriter on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Your attempt to grasp at straws make for a good laugh!

1 c) A big part of Shep's art collecting fan base is out of the age range you indicates. I would bet most are in their 30's and are over the "rebellious youth phase"

2 c) Shep donated the image. There is no way the image was the main reason Obama raised so much campaign funds

3 c) manipulating? Ha ha ha! There is a slim few that "must buy every release". Prove to me how Shep has manipulated the secondary market besides weeding out flippers.
Last edited by spagucci1 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

spagucci1 wrote:Your attempt to grasp at straws make for a good laugh!

1 c) A big part of Shep's art collecting fan base is out of the age range you indicates. I would bet most are in their 30's and are over the "rebellious youth phase"

2 c) Shep donated the image. There is no way the image was the main reason Obama raised so much campaign funds

3 c) manipulating? Ha ha ha! There is a slim few that "must buy every release". Prove to me how Shep has manipulated the secondary market besides weeding out flippers.
:roll:
:lol:
:|
:(
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

jjttdw wrote:
Mira263 wrote:I'd say that due to his Obama image hanging in the White House, it's highly unlikely Fairey will ever go "poof"

One of my best friends from HS/college had type 1 diabetes and he went blind his sophomore year at college. It is one rough disease.
Runs in my family, sadly. Lost an uncle, and both grandparents on my mothers side to diabetes. That is another possibility, and one David Choe mentions on the commentary track for Dirty Hands. He says something like Mr. Fairey is producing as much as he can before he goes blind.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

bryndavies wrote:Before I joined here, I know, but what's the reasoning and cause as to why this place used to see more traffic and now doesn't? People moved on, gained other art interests? Or was this place never that poppin?
Good question. I think it was poppin' when the prints were flippin' well on a consistent basis for more than a $50.00 profit. Then *poof* gone

(or just got tired of the same sold voices saying the same old things)
Last edited by samuraiwriter on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Jessica Ravelo »

You're coming across as a hater to me sumuraiwriter. Ii don't care how complex your argument is. It's boring now.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

I don't know how many times I need to say I admire the man, but point taken. I will not contribute to this discussion any longer.

to the bottom! :wink:
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

samuraiwriter wrote:I don't know how many times I need to say I admire the man, but point taken. I will not contribute to this discussion any longer.

And poof, samuraiwriter was gone.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

jjttdw wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:I don't know how many times I need to say I admire the man, but point taken. I will not contribute to this discussion any longer.

:lol:
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

It was a fun and spirited debate. Any topic that draws reaction and posts is ok in my book.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

jjttdw wrote:

Lol, nice one. Whatever happened to that young kid who was around several years ago that always posted? The one who's mom would take him to the obey clothing sale. He up and vanished one day too
IG - ATXjeweler
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

zanzi?