Unsigned / Unumbered Obey 'prints' on eBay?

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
net1994
Punk

Unsigned / Unumbered Obey 'prints' on eBay?

Post by net1994 »

Hello all - In the last year or so, I have see many Obey 'print's' for sale on eBay. Some look legit, just without the usual signature or edition number in pencil. Below is an example I am guilty and did buy one from a seller. She said that they were overruns saved by the printer for Obey. She said these 'extra' were kept after the rest were sent to Obey studios. The one I got looks like the real deal to me. Its' 18x24" and has the same thick creme speckle tone paper and the image is silk screened on the paper. The paper is the same color as other official obey silkscreen prints.

Here is an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Obey-Prou ... 4902.l9144

Thoughts?
Last edited by net1994 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Unsigned / Unumbered Obey 'prints' on eBay?

Post by jjttdw »

The link goes to a print that is signed and looks to have a period signature. Lots of the unsigned and unnumbered prints on eBay right now are pasters....on thin paper. I'd rather have one that is on the right paper than the thin paper pasters. With that said, I would expect a pretty steep discount.
net1994
Punk

Post by net1994 »

jjttdw wrote:The link goes to a print that is signed and looks to have a period signature. Lots of the unsigned and unnumbered prints on eBay right now are pasters....on thin paper. I'd rather have one that is on the right paper than the thin paper pasters. With that said, I would expect a pretty steep discount.
Sorry, I had the wrong link. See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Obey-Prou ... 4902.l9144
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

net1994 wrote:
jjttdw wrote:The link goes to a print that is signed and looks to have a period signature. Lots of the unsigned and unnumbered prints on eBay right now are pasters....on thin paper. I'd rather have one that is on the right paper than the thin paper pasters. With that said, I would expect a pretty steep discount.
Sorry, I had the wrong link. See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Obey-Prou ... 4902.l9144
Holy typos Batman. If given by Shepard the least the seller could do is to spell his name correctly. I'd probably be a buyer between $100-175.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

net1994 wrote:
Holy typos Batman. If given by Shepard the least the seller could do is to spell his name correctly. I'd probably be a buyer between $100-175.
chuckkeppler
Swindler

Post by chuckkeppler »

I'd hesitate to even call it an "AP" since it's not marked and signed as such. at best maybe list it as a "PP" printers proof?
net1994
Punk

Post by net1994 »

chuckkeppler wrote:I'd hesitate to even call it an "AP" since it's not marked and signed as such. at best maybe list it as a "PP" printers proof?
Well, it not being AP or PP marked, isn't a big deal to me. All I care about is they are an original print that would of been sold to the public. Legit, without the markings. But yes, without being numbered or signed, they are (and should be) substantially cheaper than what you would get on the obey site.

For the 'paster' 'prints,' I'm very skeptical that those are real. The prices they want are laughable. I saw one for $750. Hell, with a few minutes of work I could print one of these at home.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Isn't it the same dude who is selling the pasters that you bought from??
net1994
Punk

Post by net1994 »

jjttdw wrote:Isn't it the same dude who is selling the pasters that you bought from??
No.
net1994
Punk

Post by net1994 »

Here is another one. Kiss Me Deadly 'from 2007.'
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBEY-GIANT-She ... 4902.l9144
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

It's damaged, unsigned and $1600??? Easy pass. I will say the the speckletone paper does make them way more attractive than the pasters.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

We all know Shep's stance on backdoor prints.
on point like a decimalist?