New International Shipping costs @ OG

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
guyute73
Posse

New International Shipping costs @ OG

Post by guyute73 »

Well it seems that not only does Obey not like Flippers, it doesn't like poor international buyers either! :roll:
star e nite
Punk

Re: New International Shipping costs @ OG

Post by star e nite »

That pic of the little kid with the Obey hat is so cute...
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

star e nite wrote:That pic of the little kid with the Obey hat is so cute...

Hah and peeps say she looks like me!
ROBTWIN666
Swindler

Post by ROBTWIN666 »

The good news is Weston fixed the Web Store so I can actually get the shipping to work. (Yeah Weston)

The bad news is it is four times more now for shipping. (Boo OBEY)

Gone are the days of $50 with shipping :( Now it is over that in just ups fees.

sigh
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

How much of the price increase can be blamed on rising fuel prices?
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

NEW PRINT:

Available in INYOURFACE Blue only

:D Only joking around.
stickee
Giant

Re:

Post by stickee »

robotoil wrote:How much of the price increase can be blamed on rising fuel prices?

are you trolling tonight? :lol:

I blame the price increase on Obey plain and simple

USPS prices are still roughly the same so the price increase is choosing UPS over USPS
SYPRUX
Posse

Post by SYPRUX »

I'm out of the game too!
The customs fees for France I mean is 26% of the total amount means PRINT + SHIPPING!
Thaw like i have done two time, I have send to the customs a false amount in order to have less to pay but in any case, when you are catched, you have minimum 15€ to pay!
I stop to participate at this masquarade, when OG will begin to CREATE NEW PRINT WITH NEW DESIGN, maybe i could have a look.
OG, YOU SUCK*S!!!!!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I just tryed seeing what the shipping was! $90 something! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine is even more than stickees and dizzyeggs!! I only live done the road! I cant believe this, it's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

bah , durn dude that sux , if my method works , and i can get to order sets etc , i'll be sharing with whoever cant get it :)
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

slidingaround wrote:I just tryed seeing what the shipping was! $90 something! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine is even more than stickees and dizzyeggs!! I only live done the road! I cant believe this, it's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

the price keeps changing. Last i had was $90. I'm telling ya ,its gotta be Gremlins!
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Obey has always used UPS domestically because of the superior tracking. My guess is that with the increase in international sales they are now using UPS for international as well in order to have good int'l tracking too. UPS and Fed Ex are the only international services with responsible tracking, just sucks for you guys that UPS charges more internationally than USPS. Still cheaper than buying from just about any European "street artist" though ;)
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

Bonesy wrote:Obey has always used UPS domestically because of the superior tracking. My guess is that with the increase in international sales they are now using UPS for international as well in order to have good int'l tracking too. UPS and Fed Ex are the only international services with responsible tracking, just sucks for you guys that UPS charges more internationally than USPS. Still cheaper than buying from just about any European "street artist" though ;)

Four factors but, yeah, tracking is one of them: 1) tracking, 2) pick up at OG, 3) less paperwork (both to ship and to settle insurance claims) and, 4) previous bad experience with FedEx (who offers the other three services).

And you're right about costs, too; I know it's little consolation to International buyers right now, but OG art is still an incredible value-- even with the new shipping policies-- particularly when put up against anything else out there from an artist with a comparable profile and track record.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

in one word lame. :)
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

If I did have to spend 150 bucks on a print from the artist I would sooner the majority of my $$ went to the artist and not the dude delivering it
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

stickee wrote:If I did have to spend 150 bucks on a print from the artist I would sooner the majority of my $$ went to the artist and not the dude delivering it

Completely understandable, but also one of the drawbacks of buying art from an artist who's kept his prices artificially low for many, many years. It's tough to find the balance between print price vs shipping cost when the shipping costs have gone up and up and up while the print prices have remained the same, despite time, stature, growing popularity and hugely increasing demand.

Realistically, Shepard should be charging hundreds for his prints. Would the shipping costs feel better to you if he raised prices on the prints themselves to what the market is saying they're actually worth?

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by hercylicious »

admonkey wrote:
stickee wrote:If I did have to spend 150 bucks on a print from the artist I would sooner the majority of my $$ went to the artist and not the dude delivering it

Completely understandable, but also one of the drawbacks of buying art from an artist who's kept his prices artificially low for many, many years. It's tough to find the balance between print price vs shipping cost when the shipping costs have gone up and up and up while the print prices have remained the same, despite time, stature, growing popularity and hugely increasing demand.

Realistically, Shepard should be charging hundreds for his prints. Would the shipping costs feel better to you if he raised prices on the prints themselves to what the market is saying they're actually worth?

yes it would , i'd rather put up my money to buy something , than to give to some lame carrier company that will rape me when the print arrive at my door by asking me twice the price of the print in taxs.

i'd be ok with paying 100 bucks the print from shep's directly (like we all pay for other artists prints anyway) and pay a normal shipping price.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

hercylicious wrote:
admonkey wrote:

yes it would , i'd rather put up my money to buy something , than to give to some lame carrier company that will rape me when the print arrive at my door by asking me twice the price of the print in taxs.

i'd be ok with paying 100 bucks the print from shep's directly (like we all pay for other artists prints anyway) and pay a normal shipping price.

Ok, well knowing that UPS is "normal shipping price" for insured, trackable, paperless, pickup delivery, you're saying you'd be happy with Shepard raising the price of prints to $100 AND paying the current shipping fees? (i.e., raising the price you'd pay today by another $65.)

Sounds like Shepard's leaving money on the table.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

nono , i mean 100$ print and usps shipping price.

i never or almost never had any problem with usps. i pay 10.30 bucks for 1st class to paris , and arrives as fast than when i pay 30 bucks for express mail.

its just more convenient for them , to handle shipping from what i understood.

they could also do a gesture to international customers , use a well fitted tube to lower shipping prices. i mean wtf is that tube i received for the lotus print , there is really no need for that especially if they use ups now.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Gotcha.

See, that's the type of information Shepard needs. If all of his International fans were willing to have the price of prints raised three or four-fold, why wouldn't he do it?

Someone should email him.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

if he raises it , he has to raise for everyone , i guess.

and anyway its ups getting the money not him.

but as i said a gesture of using a properly sized tube for the shipping would i think lower shipping costs a lot.
daanmuller
Posse

Post by daanmuller »

What it comes down to is being charged $80-150 for something that doesnt have to cost more than $16.
Art by Daan - My artblog
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

daanmuller wrote:What it comes down to is being charged $80-150 for something that doesnt have to cost more than $16.

Well, I think Shepard has demonstrated art doesn't "have" to cost more than $35. How does that make you feel about other artists' pricing their prints? Does it keep you from buying art prints from anyone who prices more aggressively than Obey Giant?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think the rush of passions surrounding the increase in International shipping has flipped the logic switch to "off" on what does or does not constitute a "value."

And who knows? Shepard may eventually find a lower cost way to ship overseas.

But if he doesn't, I think his art is still a decent deal, even with the new shipping fees.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

admonkey wrote:
daanmuller wrote:What it comes down to is being charged $80-150 for something that doesnt have to cost more than $16.

Well, I think Shepard has demonstrated art doesn't "have" to cost more than $35. How does that make you feel about other artists' pricing their prints? Does it keep you from buying art prints from anyone who prices more aggressively than Obey Giant?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think the rush of passions surrounding the increase in International shipping has flipped the logic switch to "off" on what does or does not constitute a "value."

And who knows? Shepard may eventually find a lower cost way to ship overseas.

But if he doesn't, I think his art is still a decent deal, even with the new shipping fees.

hey ,
it is shep's choice of selling it 35$ , how do i feel about buying more pricey prints ? well you got a set price , you buy it or not , i cant afford to buy very expensive pieces at all , so my targets shrinks a lot.

the main concern , is that we are paying not the artist but a company (ups) , wich costs us importers , an expensive shipping fee , and for 95% of ups packages, import fees of 55 dollars for france (i just had an order delivered from ups the other day that got taxed , and total on the bill was 105 dollars just like how now it would be for ordering a print.)
customs here calculate the fees based on value+shipping , so can you imagine that we are taxed on the delivery too.
total for the print 35+80+55 = 170 dollars.

i'd rather give that money to someone who would buy the print for me in the us , than giving to ups and the customs. its basically 100 dollars just like this burned for no one goods , not for shep's one , unless he gets commissions , and not for the person who could have helped you buying it instead.