Art Asylum Boston: Fakes, Theft and Sketchy Things

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Here is a photo from the MK Show where one of the real Retired Star Stencils was sold (how's that for official proof?). Keep in mind there should technically be only one of them. Anyway, this photo should be added to the Wiki highlighting some of the MK Gallery action:
JErikR
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

JErikR wrote:Anyway, this photo should be added to the Wiki highlighting some of the MK Gallery action
You mean like here...

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Manu ... Gallery%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...here...

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Rise ... Gallery%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...or here?

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Supp ... Gallery%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

All great shows, but this one: http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Impe ... Gallery%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JErikR
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

It's an unlocked entry-- go for it!

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

JErikR wrote:Here is a photo from the MK Show where one of the real Retired Star Stencils was sold (how's that for official proof?). Keep in mind there should technically be only one of them. Anyway, this photo should be added to the Wiki highlighting some of the MK Gallery action:
Nice find. That Swindle retired stencil is sweet.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

there were some nice stencils at that show...
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Uh oh.... looks like eBay pulled the listing for this stencil........

"We're writing to let you know that the listing for the following item you bid on has been removed:

250382241241 - Shepard Fairey Original Obey Giant Stencil Rare OG

We strongly recommend that you do not complete this purchase. Purchases of items listed on eBay but then completed outside of eBay are extremely risky. They are not covered by eBay buyer protection programs and are highly susceptible to fraud."
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

spagucci1 wrote:Uh oh.... looks like eBay pulled the listing for this stencil........

"We're writing to let you know that the listing for the following item you bid on has been removed:

250382241241 - Shepard Fairey Original Obey Giant Stencil Rare OG

We strongly recommend that you do not complete this purchase. Purchases of items listed on eBay but then completed outside of eBay are extremely risky. They are not covered by eBay buyer protection programs and are highly susceptible to fraud."
And the seller is no longer a registered user (good thing I PDF'd that auction).

http://myworld.ebay.com/juliz1215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

I know who this seller is, or at least who I sent the money to, and they are also a board member here. Very strange. I won the auction for the records that they had up. My auction is longer showing up as well. Any advice on what I should do?
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

spagucci1 wrote:I know who this seller is, or at least who I sent the money to, and they are also a board member here. Very strange. I won the auction for the records that they had up. My auction is longer showing up as well. Any advice on what I should do?

First you should out them on this thread and then let a bunch of wild accusations fly.

Secondly, why would you have touched that with anything short of a ten-foot pole?
Last edited by cybernigel on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re: Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

cybernigel wrote:First you should out them on this thread and then let a bunch of wild accusations fly.
Burn 'em at the stake! ARRGH! Kill 'em all! AHHHH! Let's get them! ROOAR!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

This thread will be moving to Giant vs. Giant in a moment. That sub-forum has wider access and it seems like the thread might be moving in that direction, anyway.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

cybernigel wrote:
Secondly, why would you have touched that with anything short of a ten-foot pole?
I did not win the stencil, I won the auction for the signed records.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

spagucci1 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
I did not win the stencil, I won the auction for the signed records.
Gotcha. Well I hope they don't do you wrong. You are a well-respected member around here. Good luck.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

There are easier ways to make $700...especially in Lynn, MA.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

admonkey wrote:This thread will be moving to Giant vs. Giant in a moment. That sub-forum has wider access and it seems like the thread might be moving in that direction, anyway.
Can we merge the "who?" pictures from the thread about thetruth55 or do we actually need to repost them here?

:wink:
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

cybernigel wrote:
admonkey wrote:This thread will be moving to Giant vs. Giant in a moment. That sub-forum has wider access and it seems like the thread might be moving in that direction, anyway.
Can we merge the "who?" pictures from the thread about thetruth55 or do we actually need to repost them here?

Its not thetruth55. If I don't get a response from this member within 48hrs, I will make sure that the Forum knows who this member is so nobody gets ripped off any further.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

spagucci1 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

Its not thetruth55. If I don't get a response from this member within 48hrs, I will make sure that the Forum knows who this member is so nobody gets ripped off any further.
Thanks, my shitlist is getting lonely.

Besides, if they have nothing to say in response to an entire thread calling them out, they need to be outed.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

spagucci1 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply that it was him, but there was a funny part of that thread before he was revealed when people were clamoring for his identity.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Just got a PM from the seller. Everything should be kosher, but I will keep everybody in the loop.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Well, here are a few things I'd like to know from the seller:

1) Where was the "gallery provenance" from they mentioned in the auction; which gallery, specifically,

2) How did they obtain the piece and,

3) What's the provenance on the McGee piece that's also in question?

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I love these kind of threads!
Secondly, i hope you get everything sorted spagucci1.

*EDIT* That sounds bad, i mean, i like the threads that reveal a d o u c h e on the board. Not people being ripped off.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

UPDATE- I recieved my records today. I'm glad that everything worked out. Really digging the etching. Hope to get them framed by the end of the weekend.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Ok, here's what we either know or have come to find out and the steps that have been taken, since:

1) eBay user "juliz1215" puts an item up on eBay billed as an authentic, 1/1, retired stencil signed by Shepard Fairey.

2) Several potential buyers contacted the seller requesting close-up images of the signature that were never provided.

3) Obey Giant Art, Inc. was contacted directly by more than one person and asked about the legitimacy of the piece. Their response: "It's fake."

4) The eBay user "juliz1215" is contacted and notified the piece is a forgery.

5) eBay user "juliz1215" revises the auction to say she is in possession of a provenance from "the originating Gallery" that is printed on watermarked paper and that this documentation will be "revealed to the winning bidder" only after the end of the auction.

6) The auction ends, but the result is quickly cancelled and invalidated by eBay and "juliz1215"'s account is closed.

7) After making inquiries, it is learned that the contact and ship-to/from information on eBay seller "juliz1215"'s account is as follows:

juli@artasylumboston.com
Art Asylum Boston C/O Jason Zeng

35 Sutton st. #2
Lynn, MA 01901
Phone : 617-818-0724

8 ) Further, the whois information for artassylumboston.com is listed as:

Domain Name.......... artasylumboston.com
Creation Date........ 2008-09-21
Registration Date.... 2008-09-21
Expiry Date.......... 2009-09-21
Organisation Name.... Juliann Cyhan
Organisation Address. Boston
Organisation Address. 02169
Organisation Address. MA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
Admin Name........... Jason Zenga
Admin Address........ Boston
Admin Address........ 02169
Admin Address........ MA
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... artasylumboston@yahoo.com
Admin Phone.......... 1.6178180724

9) THEGIANT.ORG member "artasylumboston" is contacted regarding the stencil and the "Gallery provenance" is requested but is not produced after several days spent waiting, even while in full communication with the user.

10) THEGIANT.ORG member "artasylumboston"'s account is closed and banned for reasons of Community Trust.

In the course of looking into the "near sale" of the stencil, the sale of other questionable pieces was brought up by people who contacted me. I am unable to verify their claims and they have no bearing on our decision to close artasylumboston's account.

On a completely personal note regarding the veracity of any supposed provenance, I am left wondering if the "Gallery provenance" that was to be "revealed" to the winning bidder only at the close of the auction would have turned out to be a provenance from "Art Asylum Boston" itself.

As always, caveat emptor, but particularly in this instance.

Should it become important in the future (as I fully expect this piece to resurface at some point in time), I am including the images from the auction at the bottom of this post. I also have a PDF of the auction itself should it become needed.

Thanks to everyone who lent a hand in turning over the stones.

--admonkey

Image Image
Image Image

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
mention
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by mention »

admonkey wrote: Thanks to everyone who lent a hand in turning over the stones.

Thanks for your hard work and discovery! Nice job!!!