Question - DisObey Poster - Sixspace Gallery

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
JerichoDCat
Punk

Question - DisObey Poster - Sixspace Gallery

Post by JerichoDCat »

Hi All,

In searching for information on our print, I found the very comprehensive Giant wiki. I managed to find our print @ http://www.thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Dis_Obey. I wanted to let you know that it was indeed for sale at the sixspace show in Chicago. My wife and I purchased it literally off of the wall. It was tucked away on a basement door gallery near the front, secured by bider clips on push pins. The show is documented here: http://www.sixspace.com/gallery/shepard1999/index.php We agonized for about an hour whether to buy a larger print or the much smaller "Dis-Obey" - most prints were $35 (even in 1999, prints were $35) , which was a lot for us at the time. Our print is number 79/100. All of this being said, I just had a few follow-up items/questions:

1: I cannot find any additional information on this print. Does anyone know how many of these prints are accounted for? My wife won't part with it, but I am curious to know a bit more of its history.

2: I knew I had seen a similar image. We searched this weekend at the Library for the poster's source and finally managed to find it. The poster is based on a 1968 "Prague Spring" protest poster (I originally thought it was based on an Atelier Populaire poster, France, also 1968) The original portrays the opening days of the 1968 Soviet occupation with the Red Army as liberators in 1945, but oppressors in 1968.

I hope this is in the right forum. Thanks in advance for any additional information anyone might have.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re: Question - DisObey Poster - Sixspace Gallery

Post by Backpackpunk »

JerichoDCat wrote:Hi All,

In searching for information on our print, I found the very comprehensive Giant wiki. I managed to find our print @ http://www.thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Dis_Obey. I wanted to let you know that it was indeed for sale at the sixspace show in Chicago. My wife and I purchased it literally off of the wall. It was tucked away on a basement door gallery near the front, secured by bider clips on push pins. The show is documented here: http://www.sixspace.com/gallery/shepard1999/index.php We agonized for about an hour whether to buy a larger print or the much smaller "Dis-Obey" - most prints were $35 (even in 1999, prints were $35) , which was a lot for us at the time. Our print is number 79/100. All of this being said, I just had a few follow-up items/questions:

1: I cannot find any additional information on this print. Does anyone know how many of these prints are accounted for? My wife won't part with it, but I am curious to know a bit more of its history.

2: I knew I had seen a similar image. We searched this weekend at the Library for the poster's source and finally managed to find it. The poster is based on a 1968 "Prague Spring" protest poster (I originally thought it was based on an Atelier Populaire poster, France, also 1968) The original portrays the opening days of the 1968 Soviet occupation with the Red Army as liberators in 1945, but oppressors in 1968.

I hope this is in the right forum. Thanks in advance for any additional information anyone might have.

First off wow, that some great research on the source material! Second off, I guess that kills the theory that only a few of these exist. Thirdly, if your wife ever does want to part with it, I have cash and prints waiting AND call first dibs!!!!!!!!
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Wiki updated. :lol:
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Number accounted for? I think this would be number 6.

If you ever do decide to sell it, do so on ebay. True, someone may offer you more than you may get. But 9 times out of ten, people make private offers because they dont want to have to fight for it on ebay knowing it will go for much more than they are willing to pay.

Basically, you will get ripped off most likely if you dont do an open auction.

But the last one went for well over $1000 I believe.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
JerichoDCat
Punk

Post by JerichoDCat »

Thank you for the information so far. Also, after re-reading the posters wiki entry, wanted to let you know the print size is 9 1/2"h x 24"w. Unfortunately, we have the print matted/framed so I cannot tell what type of paper it is printed on. Thanks again.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Wiki updated. :D
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
influence
Giant

Post by influence »

I bet he's getting bombarded with PMs.

Last one went for $2026.99 back in July '07.

Share some pics if you don't mind :)
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing that with us.
JerichoDCat
Punk

Post by JerichoDCat »

Hi All,

I got caught up in work and stuff and just remembered that I had rudely forgotten to post the requested images of the Dis-Obey Poster. Apologies. Anyway, we are painting our place and I grabbed some shots of the Dis-Obey Poster to share with you all as requested.

Now if I could only figure how to upload......any suggestions?

Thanks!

JerichoDcat
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

I got caught up in work and stuff and just remembered that I had rudely forgotten to post the requested images of the Dis-Obey Poster. Apologies. Anyway, we are painting our place and I grabbed some shots of the Dis-Obey Poster to share with you all as requested.

Now if I could only figure how to upload......any suggestions?

Thanks!

JerichoDcat

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4425
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
JerichoDCat
Punk

Post by JerichoDCat »

Ok,

First off, my apologies for the months long delay in posting the requested images of the Dis-Obey Print. Thank you to everyone on the site who has been so nice. And thank you to extremeimages77 for pointing the way on how to do image hosting/posting. Below are a few images of the original Dis-Obey poster that my wife and I bought from SixSpace in Chicago during Mr. Fairey's show in 1999. (Somewhere we also have Coop's follow-up show poster) The print's glass has not been cleaned in ages and may show up spotty - it is the glass, not the print.

Below are the hosted links:

And finally, one small item - the print wiki lists the print as 19.5 inches tall. Our print is only 9.5 inches tall.

Best Regards to All,

JerichoDCat
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Did the guy shoot the girl?
I always thought he elbowed her, but it looks like a gunshot wound on the girl...
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

thanks for sharing JerichoDCat
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
JerichoDCat
Punk

Post by JerichoDCat »

And finally, one last question.

Did anyone manage to cache the SixSpace Website before they took down Mr. Fairey's Exhibition images of 1999? The images of the poster on the wall should answer the 'gunshot' question, as per posted above. Indeed, our's clearly shows a gunshot 'wound' on the protester. We suspect it has been excised from later prints.

Again, Thanks to All

JDC
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

LOL.... That is funny!
I actually drew that image based off one that was a sticker. I bet I just forgot the gunshot wound.

For ages, I thought he stuck the sign in her chest though. (I now see it)

I used to be on a kick about having good images for the wiki, so I would re draw some of them if we only had bad images. (mostly making the borders straight.) But this one was a complete trace of a high dpi scan I had.

JerichoDCat wrote:And finally, one last question.

Did anyone manage to cache the SixSpace Website before they took down Mr. Fairey's Exhibition images of 1999? The images of the poster on the wall should answer the 'gunshot' question, as per posted above. Indeed, our's clearly shows a gunshot 'wound' on the protester. We suspect it has been excised from later prints.

Again, Thanks to All

JDC
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

nice one!
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
JerichoDCat
Punk

Post by JerichoDCat »

Hi Giant.org. Community.

First, my apologies for not being any sort of contributor here (always a leech) to the excellent website and community. My wife and I are, literally, accidental tourists with Mr Fairey's works. We stumbled into the SixSpace Chicago gallery show in 1999 from our neighborhood bar next door (Cleo's). My wife has given a VERY tentative agreement to sell our Dis-Obey Poster. If we sell the poster, it will certainly be on eBay, but I was hoping to plumb the collective here for any recent market trends.

(p.s. - the only reason my wife is considering selling the poster is so that we can put the money towards buying a house for newborn daughter to grow up in. The poster has a lot of sentimental value to her as a reminder of our 'struggling-stick-it-to-the-man' years.)

I guess my questions are as follows:
1: Has the real market for Mr. Fairey's works increased since the elections and his subsequent public exposure?
2: Has there been any corresponding bump in vintage Giant artwork prices?
3: Alternately, has there been a decrease in Mr. Fairey's works prices due to the economy?
4: I know people think they may be sitting on a 'gold-mine' print ($12k Obama prints on ebay?), but I would appreciate it if anyone could peg a "true" market value of the Dis-Obey print. A realistic price we could expect, I guess.

I realize that that I am asking a lot of dumb questions, but the community here has to date been very welcoming. I sincerely appreciate anyone's comments and/or suggestions.

I thank you in advance,

JerichoDCat.
notudon
Giant

Post by notudon »

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/43135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$2,000?
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

You have a PM..!!!
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

One sold in the Philips De Pury auction not too long ago.