no more paypal for me

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

no more paypal for me

Post by scud80 »

it's your fun paypal rant of the day!

i sold a kaws ashtray on ebay to a guy in new york. first of all, he filed an item not received complaint 6 days after the auction ended, which bugged me, and put all the funds for the purchase on hold. then when he did receive it he immediately filed an item not as described claim. so, whatever, i said to just sent it back. then, the box i received from him was empty. i'm not going to sign for an empty box, so i refused it. i called paypal and told them this, and they said in his claim he said he had just received a box filled with newspaper. at this point i know he's just trying to rip me off because i never use newspaper as a filler. the person i spoke to said she would inform whoever needed to be informed and they'd take care of it. and now i just got a mail saying that they had decided the claim in the buyer's favor. so, he just totally ripped me off with the assistance of paypal. and now, despite how much of a pain it's going to be to only use other payment methods, there's no way i can use them anymore if they're just going to help people rip me off.

ugh.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Pay pal are C**TS! Sorry about the bad language but that's the only word to describe them, iv been through similar experiences and it's always put in the buyers favour. They are a nightmare to communicate with too.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Sh!tty, very sorry to hear!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
password
Giant

Post by password »

Sorry to hear. That's always been my fear about selling stuff through eBay. Too bad you can't view a buyer's negative feedback regarding past transactions like this because you can't leave negative feedback anymore.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

wow, this guy figured out an ironclad scam. i just talked to paypal on the phone, and they said that a refusal is considered a delivery as far as they're concerned, and since i don't have the box he sent they can't do anything. furthermore, if i *had* accepted the empty box, then since he claimed to have received an empty box they would have found in his favor *anyways*. so, there was *absolutely nothing* i could do to prevent this and no way to keep it from happening again. oh, and he can even leave me negative feedback now too! i've officially sold my last item on ebay!
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

Lame man...just shows how important buyer/seller relations are these days, since things have become so tough for the seller. I have had a lot of issues (particularly international) where about two weeks to a month after a buyer's payment hits my account, the buyer files a claim and funds are deducted from my account. Usually the item is sitting at their post office because they weren't around to sign for it. But every once in a while it escalates into a claim and I have to at least issue a partial refund because of paypal's "buyer protection". Either way it is an expensive hassle. And don't even get me started on the fees. We use paypal for our business and have had to pay loads of $$$ over the years. It costs us more to pay paypal for each sale than it does to build each product.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

wow, sorry to hear about the messy situation. i have pretty much abandoned ebay as a means of selling (have only listed two items so far this year, whereas in the past i have used it on a massive scale), mostly because of the unfair advantage they give buyers over sellers. my mom was in town recently and asked me about selling on ebay (she has some leftover inventory from a collectibles store she owned a few years ago) - i basically told her that it is still the easiest way for an individual to sell online and get the most interest from buyers, but to watch out because sellers are not protected at all anymore. i have been very lucky throughout the years as a seller, but i have also had to keep a keen eye on slippery scammers, which is something that i am afraid doesn't come as easily to new sellers. and, as you have just shown, scammers can still jack a seasoned seller every once in awhile.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Bummer Scud! Can you clue us into the guy's ebay ID?
mention
Propaganda Engineer

Re: no more paypal for me

Post by mention »

I've stopped selling on ebay as well. You are left wide open, which is total BS.

Lately I've had some sellers pulling some 'scams' on me. I'm sure they need some short term money, so they sell an item, but never ship anything. They never return calls/emails, and eventually ebay/paypal refunds me. It's a pain in the buttocks, 6 times in the last month, 6 different sellers.
:twisted:
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Thanks for the warning. Some people are scum :evil:
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

I would also love to know this guy's userID. I will block him from bidding on my items. This definitely sucks. Unfortuantely, PP will always side with the buyer unless and until they can establish a pattern of behavior.
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

comiconart wrote:I would also love to know this guy's userID. I will block him from bidding on my items.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

I think this would be a great way to deal with eBay sellers who post Shep's prints 10 minutes after the drop...

*did I say that outloud?*

Scud - that totally sux though. Sorry to hear it. Are there other seller stores? What about selling via Amazon?
Submit. Rapture.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

comiconart wrote:I would also love to know this guy's userID. I will block him from bidding on my items. This definitely sucks. Unfortuantely, PP will always side with the buyer unless and until they can establish a pattern of behavior.

+1

Who was it?

Paypal is the worst and a lot of their policies conflict with consumer protection laws. I bought a print that was supposed to be mint but had bad mat burn. I tried to negotiate a partial or complete refund of the $900 but the seller said they really didn't know anything about art or print conditions even though I had communication via Paypal messaging stating in it was in perfect mint condition. Paypal said that since I bought it directly instead of through ebay that their buyer protection didn't cover me. Even when the seller admitted during arbitration that they may have misrepresented the conditon Paypal wouldn't budge. I filed a fraud claim with my bank and they ruled in my favor and pulled my $900 back from Paypal, I tried to return the print to Paypal but they said that it was mine I was responsible for the money despite my bank's ruling. Over a year later I sold a Banksy on ebay and tried to take a dispersment to my father's Paypal account and Paypal froze over $4K because they said that my Dad's Paypal account was related to my Paypal account via my ebay account even though previously they claimed that the sale I got ripped off in had nothing to do with ebay that's why they wouldn't protect me. I had to get a lawyer to get the money released and it took another 4 months. F'ing crooks.

I also won't ship a high dollar item to anything but a confirmed residential address so if need be I can board a plane and pay them a visit.

Sorry to hear that Scud.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

Cookie Head wrote:Bummer Scud! Can you clue us into the guy's ebay ID?
+pie.

The guy should be blacklisted globally.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

the ebay id is hype_collector, and his name is jing cai in new york in case you come across him elsewhere.
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

he has 82 listings running
mostly buy it nows
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

I'm gonna keep an eye on his listings. I hope he decides to auction off that Kaws ashtray I've had my eye on.
mention
Propaganda Engineer

Post by mention »

comiconart wrote:I'm gonna keep an eye on his listings. I hope he decides to auction off that Kaws ashtray I've had my eye on.
If it wasn't for karma, I'd think about giving him a taste of his own medicine. :wink:
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

scud80 wrote:the ebay id is hype_collector, and his name is jing cai in new york in case you come across him elsewhere.
Now in my banned file. Thanks for the info.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Solar
Giant

Re:

Post by Solar »

hundreddollarhorse wrote:he has 82 listings running
mostly buy it nows
If this happened to me, I would use the above information to do bad things to him. I would feel very good about doing said bad things. :evil:

He's an idiot for pulling this kind of bs on the same account he sells with.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

If it happened to me, I would definitely buy something from him (preferably of a higher value), and do the same exact thing. Turnabout is fair play.
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Stealing from him wouldn't make me feel any better but I would certainly go down to the nearest precinct and file a complaint for theft and fraud - or call the fbi if it involved interstate commerce...
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

a fraud investigation wouldn't lead anywhere since a) we're talking about $80 and b) how am i supposed to definitively prove that he received the item? i'm not about to start videotaping myself packing boxes or paying a third party to do it for me. ebay's been getting consistently more buyer-centric over the past few years, and this is just sort of the last straw.

i mean, this guy has been registered for less than a year and has more negative feedback in that span than i've received in the 10 years i've been registered (1 total) and i've also been part of the "powerseller" program on-and-off. and yet, they just automatically take his side, and the reputation that i've maintained for so long doesn't mean anything anymore. i'm much angrier with ebay/paypal than him. so, it's just time to go.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

At the very least, pop all his BINs with a secondary ebay ID and leave him 80 negs to warn others.