Hate to complain, but...

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Hate to complain, but...

Post by MunkeyPants »

I would like to beg the members here to start self restricting banter on the Buying and Selling threads. When I joined the forum a year ago, non banter was strictly enforced. I'd like to beg the Mods to reinstitute enforcement in those threads. I realize interesting comments and discussions result sometimes, but can these be moved to Hit & Miss? Thank you.
Submit. Rapture.
noverflow
I think I started this

Re: Hate to complain, but...

Post by noverflow »

We are sadly way down on people to help enforce this as of now.

But it is something I wish was enforced more.

MunkeyPants wrote:I would like to beg the members here to start self restricting banter on the Buying and Selling threads. When I joined the forum a year ago, non banter was strictly enforced. I'd like to beg the Mods to reinstitute enforcement in those threads. I realize interesting comments and discussions result sometimes, but can these be moved to Hit & Miss? Thank you.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

- i will start getting on folks then.... ec :D
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

This problem persists on every forum I've been on where you can sell sh!t.

The inevitable solution is to lock all the for sale threads down automatically and let questions go down via pm.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

It should be aloud on peoples threads that are trying to flip prints IMO. Too much of that going on round here recently, just my 2p.
noverflow
I think I started this

Re:

Post by noverflow »

I tried to care about flipping for the first 2 years. You get beaten down even trying.

All I care about now is people being honest.

slidingaround wrote:It should be aloud on peoples threads that are trying to flip prints IMO. Too much of that going on round here recently, just my 2p.
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

easycraig wrote:- i will start getting on folks then.... ec :D

Don't be the guy on the right:

slidingaround
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by slidingaround »

I understand it's hard to stop that, I'm just saying that we shouldn't be giving flippers any favours by not leaving banter in their threads.
noverflow wrote:I tried to care about flipping for the first 2 years. You get beaten down even trying.

All I care about now is people being honest.
    slidingaround wrote:It should be aloud on peoples threads that are trying to flip prints IMO. Too much of that going on round here recently, just my 2p.
    noverflow
    I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

like what Optimus Rabbit said....

I could check to see if it is possible to only allow people to start threads, but not reply to them. Then it is more of a craigslist type thing. Or do people want the ability to say "PMed" ?
    MunkeyPants
    Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

PMd and some questions are OK, it's Bump for Good Prices and other crepe, that gets old. Is it time to nominate some new mods to help bear the load?
    Submit. Rapture.
    conartstudio
    Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

noverflow wrote:like what Optimus Rabbit said....

I could check to see if it is possible to only allow people to start threads, but not reply to them. Then it is more of a craigslist type thing. Or do people want the ability to say "PMed" ?
    I think a "craigslist" thing is exactly what the selling/trading section should be like but the problems with only allowing the original poster to post are:
    1) the poster will complain when nobody responds. It happens now but at least people can reply back explaining why.
    2) the sellers rarely include photosor print numbers (which they are supposed to do) but because others can respond they can ask for that.
    3) admins need to really work hard to keep things organized. Right now other members help keep things in control but if you lock them out then it's all on the shoulders of the admins to keep flippers out and to make sure the rules are followed.
    easycraig
    Giant

Post by easycraig »

i agree with frib.. i think its good for folks to reply.. more often then not it is a positive post for the person doing the selling/buying. - occasionally folks give a bump.... but i don't see the harm in that either...
    noverflow
    I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

What about forcing including of number condition and pictures or the post is deleted?

Would only take a week for people realize they wont get any sunlight on the post if it doesn't have this.
    noverflow
    I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Normally, if I wasn't swamped with other work, this is where I would make a community marketplace system for people selling and without a number and pic it just wouldn't post.
    conartstudio
    Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

noverflow wrote:Normally, if I wasn't swamped with other work, this is where I would make a community marketplace system for people selling and without a number and pic it just wouldn't post.
    A marketplace sounds like a great idea but honestly I think we can put up with the occasional bantar. If/when you have time go for it....

I know you just got hitched and all so your #1 priority is to make wifey happy and not munkeypants :)
    cybernigel
    Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

+pie

Seems like there's been an increase in people that use the forum for nothing other than flipping and the regulars do a good job of policing this.

IMHO I also don't see the problem with some contextual banter in sales threads.
    For instance: If someone posts something for sale and another member asks, "Is that the one you got off ebay from Leo?" That type of discussion could add value.
    The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
    BigBp0057
    Propaganda Engineer

Re: Re:

Post by BigBp0057 »

cybernigel wrote: IMHO I also don't see the problem with some contextual banter in sales threads.
    For instance: If someone posts something for sale and another member asks, "Is that the one you got off ebay from Leo?" That type of discussion could add value.
    I am new, and I don't know anything, but I agree
    #1 ISO Visual Disobedience 04, #2 ISO Guns & Roses 18x24
    Obey Prints For Sale: http://www.obeygiantprints.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    My Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    illyanadmc
    Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

i used to be super hardcore about patrolling the wanted/selling threads, but i have recently stopped looking at them (recently meaning over the summer). i will try to patrol them as much as possible, but you guys can always be proactive yourselves and use the "report this post" function (the triangle with the red exclamation point at the top-right of every post). this will alert all admins to the thread in question, and it is a good way to get our attention when there's dirty banter afoot.
    i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
    bdavenport
    punk

Post by bdavenport »

Good tip about the "report this post" didn't know that existed. Requiring the number and picture would bring the flippers down as it would mean it had to be in hand and they might be leery of posting a print number in fear of getting locked out at Obey. While I don't personally mind the banter, it does seem to make sense to control, otherwise having rules seems kind of pointless.

Overall though, mods and admin folks do a great job and I appreciate that thegiant.org exists due to their hard (and free) work. If I could send you all a six pack I would. (Feel free to PM an address for the free beer offer.)
    toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
    cybernigel
    Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

illyanadmc wrote:i used to be super hardcore...
    See what marriage will do to ya? ;-)
    The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
    MunkeyPants
    Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Frib, I didn't make the rules. Just trying to point out (as many have concurred) that things have gotten loose. Sometimes, the 'god banter' that is produced is just a turn off for someone that just joined. Most people don't read rules before they start posting in a forum. I really like the way puff.com is set up with a new member area and you are restricted to posting there for a period of 48 hours while you learn the rules. It's pretty sweet. I think they use a different software as the base, but I'm sure there are other tools available to this forum as well. But it's been discussed here several times. This is not my forum, just a place I like to hang out on the web. *smiles*
    Submit. Rapture.
    conartstudio
    Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

MunkeyPants wrote:Frib, I didn't make the rules. Just trying to point out (as many have concurred) that things have gotten loose.
    i agree, just saying that coding a new marketplace takes a little time and he's a newlywed so fulfilling complaints by forum members should be last on his priority list :)
    bdavenport
    punk

Post by bdavenport »

Shout out to illyanadmc for bringing the hammer in the wanted thread today. Thanks for taking the time, I know it's a pain to police, but thanks
    toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
    easycraig
    Giant

Re:

Post by easycraig »

bdavenport wrote:Shout out to illyanadmc for bringing the hammer in the wanted thread today. Thanks for taking the time, I know it's a pain to police, but thanks

i agree...... ^^^ - sometimes it takes a woman to do a mans job! lol ! i woke up this morning and saw her name on 5 different threads..... she is BRINGING IT !

happy Wed folks..... ec
    Gigantico
    Carbon-Based Wastage

Re:

Post by Gigantico »

bdavenport wrote:Shout out to illyanadmc for bringing the hammer in the wanted thread today. Thanks for taking the time, I know it's a pain to police, but thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5Olen_1co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;